• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Springs

kylerossi

I've been here in the Springs for over a year now. Military brought me here and I love it. I've carrying concealed since my 21st birthday. Most go out drinking on their 21t birthday; I went to get a CC license. I like to OC, it’s a lot more comfortable. I started doing a lot more here and was wondering about others here in the Springs. Has anyone ever had any problems with the police, certain stores, or establishments? I've talked to a police officer and a sheriff; both say that they really don't like it.

ZackL

kylerossi, first and foremost I want to welcome you to the forum.

Next, it's not really about what the officers like or don't like, they have taken an oath to uphold the United States and Colorado Constitution, both of which allow people to carry firearms in defense of themselves and, in most cases, of their families as well. These officers may not have liked it, but I feel that they are the exception to how most officers in the Springs really feel about this. Both LEO encounters I've had were during traffic stops and both went smoothly after I told them that I was carrying, although El Paso county seems to be more comfortable with it than CSPD.

I live in Calhan, but I do go into the springs quite often and I OC everyday, pretty much all day. The only establishment that I've had a real problem with is Buffalo Wild Wings on North Academy, which was my bad for not researching them first as they are openly anti from what I've gathered since. Other than that the most frequent incidents are people who are curious about what I'm carrying and/or why I choose open carry as opposed to CC.

Overall, I don't think you'll really ever run into an issue, and if you do, there is enough information on this site on how to handle encounters either through learning from others experience, or from handling it how you feel is best and then having people comment on your experience and your actions and give opinions.

kylerossi

Thanks a lot. I haven't had anyone say anything to me about it yet. Mostly just curious looks and glances. I've read that before about BWW's and if I do go there I just leave my gun in the glove box. I try to avoid places that do not support our rights. After all, myself and other service members put their lives on the line to give them thier freedom, they could at least honor the fact that we fight to defend our constitution.

Half Live

Welcome to the forums mate. Thanks for the service. We just had a little OC meet down there last month and it was great, we all meet up at the Golden Corral.

strife1013

I just started to open carry in most places, I was auto zone yesterday and all they asked if I came from the range. Today I was Starbucks and they had didn't have a problem, just a few looks and ended up talking to a guy who was dating the manager and he just asked questions about open carry laws and such and we were totally on the the same page and just had a good convo. he wants to get his gf a weapon too :)

A little worried about running into CSPD or whatever but I am well within my rights so that shouldn't be a problem.

Other places were: a few apt complex's I used to live in (had to get the dates that I was living there for my CSPD application), UPS, Starbucks, Autozone.

Also cops may not like someone OC but that isn't against the law :) You may not like it but I still can do it, such as freedom of speech to. i would love to a whole movement happen with OC so that governments know that the people will not disarm :)

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Welcome to open carry! Keep on educating yourself

This is a good forum to learn a great deal about open carry and how to keep yourself out of trouble while exercising your rights. Keep reading. There is a lot that you can do to insure that the police follow the rule of law.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I started doing a lot more here and was wondering about others here in the Springs.

Please come to one of our OC meets. We've had three here in the Springs since January of this year, so expect more.

Has anyone ever had any problems with the police...

Never. They're both well-educated and well-trained here in the Springs. In fact, I live near a police station, and carry while walking to/from the store or a restaurant on the sidewalk in front of it all the time. I'm sure they've spotted me many times, but I've never harrassed. The only interaction I've ever had while carrying and meeting a local LEO is a simple exchange of smiles, a verbal "good day" and tipping of hats.

...certain stores, or establishments?

Wal-Mart, but apparently the issue was localized to a former LEO working in the back. I've since OC'd in there many times and none of the managers (I know three by name/face, now), have given me any grief.

I've talked to a police officer and a sheriff; both say that they really don't like it.

I'm surprised deputy sheriff said they don't like it, as our El Paso County Sheriff, Terry Maketa, supports it.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
Just a quick post on the Springs. The Rib and I will be in the Springs Thursday thru Sunday, looking to relocate so were doing some real estate shopping. So my question is this. I have a CC permit here in Texas is it reciprocated by Colorado, and question two: Is it legal for me to OC while im there?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Just a quick post on the Springs. The Rib and I will be in the Springs Thursday thru Sunday, looking to relocate so were doing some real estate shopping.

Do you already have a job? Regardless, there are many good neighborhoods, but I'd stay out of the SSE area, particularly around Fountain. Here's a crime stats map for the Springs.

So my question is this. I have a CC permit here in Texas is it reciprocated by Colorado...

It is, provided you're a resident of the State of Texas. Colorado does not honor non-resident CC permits.

and question two: Is it legal for me to OC while im there?

It is, commensurate with CRS 29-11.7-104. Avoid schools, anyplace that's posted, post offices, and federal buildings/offices, and the usual other no-go locations, and you should be fine.