Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Facing Charges For Drawing Weapon On Attacker

Man Facing Charges For Drawing Weapon On Attacker

I ran across this video on the net. This guy was apparently attacked by his girlfriends Ex and felt that he needed to draw his firearm to defend himself. He is now facing charges. I have often thought about how to handle a situation like this where someone that is unarmed attacks you. Maybe carry mace or a taser? Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/user/LCLREPOR...77/9GDCTWATQls
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
    Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

Taser seems a bit too bulky for me, I carry enough as it is! But I do carry OC spray with me for use at the dog park or on a drunk/some guy just throwing haymakers at me.

Any more to this story? I tried and didn't see anything. I guess it's because the trial isn't until November?

That is exactly why I carry a taser and O.C. spray in addition with my firearm. Different levels of force for different levels of threats.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife725 View Post
    Taser seems a bit too bulky for me, I carry enough as it is! But I do carry OC spray with me for use at the dog park or on a drunk/some guy just throwing haymakers at me.

Any more to this story? I tried and didn't see anything. I guess it's because the trial isn't until November?
    You should check out the Taser C2. You can fit it comfortably into your pocket. There's also a holster specifically designed for it, which attached to your belt.

Any licensure or certification of any kind needed for a taser?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    Any licensure or certification of any kind needed for a taser?
    Not by state law, but TASER International does not activate the TASER if you're a felon. All you have to do is make your purchase, and then call the number (or go online) to activate it. They'll do a background check, and you'll be good to go immediately afterward.

I wonder if using a taser would still be considered assault with a weapon in court. or mace for that matter.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
    Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    You should check out the Taser C2. You can fit it comfortably into your pocket. There's also a holster specifically designed for it, which attached to your belt.
    We're gonna start looking like Batman!
    Firearm, spray, taser, smoke bombs, etc...

Guy in the video says he called the cops as they were departing the scene, but cops came & arrested him using felony stop techniques. That does not support the usual comments that the first to call is the victim and the next to call is the perpetrator. Either that or there is much more going on.

Not being "allowed" to cross-file a criminal complaint against the guy with a history of assault (and possibly domestic violence/child abuse?)? Felony stop arrest for undisclosed type of crime of violence and released on personal recognizance which also has some sort of $2K amount attached to it? Public Defender wants him to cop to a plea right off the bat and then stalls the trial date almost a year? He wants a new attorney that wil run him $2K for the initial retainer but cannot raise/borrow the funds for over half a year?

My vote is for the second possibility. There's more to this story than what the video covers.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There's more to this story than what the video covers.

stay safe.
    Isn't that usually the case. It's hard to know what REALLY happened when all you see/hear is one side.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Don't draw if you are hesitant

Another reason to not draw your weapon if you think you may hesitate. If Mac had just blow that POS away, we'd be reading "Man defends fiancee from assault by ex", under the section True Tales of Self Defense. good luck Mac!

UPDATE? I think this story was from last year, his court dates were for October, November, December. The LCLREPORT posted that video in January of 2010. So that would have put his court dates in Oct, Nov, Dec of 2009. We should be able to find update from this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 5o56x45 View Post
    I wonder if using a taser would still be considered assault with a weapon in court. or mace for that matter.
    In my opinion, it would fall under the "Use of Force" statute, because Washington does not have an "Assault with a weapon" statute, or even an "Assault with a Deadly Weapon" statute. Any assault with a deadly weapon would fall under Assault in the First Degree.

Assault in the First Degree

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.36.011

Use of Force Chapter

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.010

That is exactly why I carry a taser and O.C. spray in addition with my firearm. Different levels of force for different levels of threats.
    Are you currently known or at any time in the past been known by the unique user name "Gecko45"?

Admirable, but most people are not willing to go as far in their preparedness.
    Squeak!

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    We're gonna start looking like Batman!
    Firearm, spray, taser, smoke bombs, etc...
    +1

Gun... BUG... taser... spray.... knife... multitool.... flashlight.... keys.... wallet... I remember someone here once said they carry handcuffs. At what point does one stop being an informed citizen and become, as you said, Batman?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    +1

Gun... BUG... taser... spray.... knife... multitool.... flashlight.... keys.... wallet... I remember someone here once said they carry handcuffs. At what point does one stop being an informed citizen and become, as you said, Batman?
    You left out Cell Phone, Recorder, Video Camera, and Water Bottle.

It could take one an extra 20 minutes just "gearing up" for a trip to the store for milk. Either that or put it all on a "Duty Belt" and spend all your time telling everyone you're not a LEO.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    Are you currently known or at any time in the past been known by the unique user name "Gecko45"?
    Nope. Never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    You left out Cell Phone, Recorder, Video Camera, and Water Bottle.

It could take one an extra 20 minutes just "gearing up" for a trip to the store for milk. Either that or put it all on a "Duty Belt" and spend all your time telling everyone you're not a LEO.
    When I carry my O.C. and Taser, I carry them concealed, in my pocket. I don't really bother with the holsters.

Someone in close proximity can easily open your throat with a knife you never knew he had. Cops sometimes learn the hard way that nearly any person is capable of doing serious (even lethal) damage in an instant. If I were physically attacked, I have to assume the worst for my own safety; I can't assume that I'll be notified prior to each level of force escalation from my attacker.

• Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by mik253 View Post
    Haha! THe fingers are really painful but as real as that looks seems kinda strange he would just go unconscious, hope I don't have to make a video.... haha
    I think there is some over acting in that video but I could not help LMAO and just had to post it.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Concerning this incident I am speaking as if it was here in Washington.
    There are different levels of use of force I am sure we all agree upon but it is at what point it crosses into deadly force and one being able to articulate the facts that support a conclusion.
    Many use the Ability Opportunity and Jeopardy and in Washington as stated before as see in the eyes of a reasonable man doctrine and necessary force holding an imminent fear of life or limb.

The story offered had no supporting information other then just there was physical altercation that did not arise to the level of deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by mik253 View Post
    I don't trust tasers so much, Ive owned 3 and I tazered myself with it many times to get to know the feeling, not that I expected to be tazed but to know the feeling well! Yes its uncomfortable and painful in certain places and will prolly make someone stop what there doing but you have to be in such a close proximity to someone to use it I don't trust it, some huge drunk Guy comes barreling at you a tazer isn't going to stop that momentum, now the tazer guns I would trust cuz the distance they can shoot and those stop just about everyone in there tracks cuz there much more powerful then the handheld ones but I don't see that being very legal or practical or am I wrong? I will say that the sound of a tazer alone is usually pretty effective at stopping someone in there tracks
    You were stun gunned. A stun gun is entirely different than a taser. A stun gun relies on contact pain to defend from an attack, where as a taser interrupts your brain-muscular system connection, and renders an attacker unable to move. Of everyone who has volunteered to be tased, there has only been one case of a person successfully fighting through a taser, and it was a Navy SEAL who had specifically trained to withstand it, and fight it off. Tasers are legal in Washington State, and most other states. As far as I know, only the city of Bellingham bans them.

More information on the TASER

All TASER ECD products produce neuromuscular incapacitation when used properly. This basically means the communication between the brain and the muscles is interrupted during the TASER exposure. TASER ECD do not rely on pain compliance, it does not matter if the subject is on drugs, drunk, or has a strong pain threshold. Also, all TASER models use compressed nitrogen to fire the two probes, all current models have a LASER sight. Also, all can be used as a stun gun in case of multiple attackers or a miss. In this regard, all TASERS are alike. Key differences are: Law enforcement products have a far greater range. Consumer models (C2, X26C, M26C) are limited to a range of 15. Also the law enforcement models have firing logs which can be downloaded showing exposure duration times, voltage, and temperature.

It seems like a lot of people are being arrested and charged with displaying a firearm to deescalate a situation where and assault is taking place (guy in Kirkland brought up on charges). Yes displaying a gun just to be a jerk is a crime but the police seem to always arrest the guy who brought out his gun to avoid an assault or further assault and then he faces arrest, legal fees and loss of firearm. As sad as it is, it seems like you would just be better off shooting a lot of the time. How much injury must one take before it is legal to brandish a gun? I have to believe that if I have been able to present my firearm with enough distance to not be immediately killed I would feel obligated to give a guy punching me or coming at me a chance to back away and live. But then I have committed a crime that overzealous anti-gun prosecutors don't seem to distinguish from gang-bangers flashing guns on the street.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast