• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Facing Charges For Drawing Weapon On Attacker

5o56x45

I ran across this video on the net. This guy was apparently attacked by his girlfriends Ex and felt that he needed to draw his firearm to defend himself. He is now facing charges. I have often thought about how to handle a situation like this where someone that is unarmed attacks you. Maybe carry mace or a taser? Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/user/LCLREPORT#p/u/77/9GDCTWATQls

skiingislife725

Taser seems a bit too bulky for me, I carry enough as it is! But I do carry OC spray with me for use at the dog park or on a drunk/some guy just throwing haymakers at me.

Any more to this story? I tried and didn't see anything. I guess it's because the trial isn't until November?

Aaron1124

Taser seems a bit too bulky for me, I carry enough as it is! But I do carry OC spray with me for use at the dog park or on a drunk/some guy just throwing haymakers at me.

Any more to this story? I tried and didn't see anything. I guess it's because the trial isn't until November?

You should check out the Taser C2. You can fit it comfortably into your pocket. There's also a holster specifically designed for it, which attached to your belt.

Aaron1124

Any licensure or certification of any kind needed for a taser?

Not by state law, but TASER International does not activate the TASER if you're a felon. All you have to do is make your purchase, and then call the number (or go online) to activate it. They'll do a background check, and you'll be good to go immediately afterward.

5o56x45

I wonder if using a taser would still be considered assault with a weapon in court. or mace for that matter.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Guy in the video says he called the cops as they were departing the scene, but cops came & arrested him using felony stop techniques. That does not support the usual comments that the first to call is the victim and the next to call is the perpetrator. Either that or there is much more going on.

Not being "allowed" to cross-file a criminal complaint against the guy with a history of assault (and possibly domestic violence/child abuse?)? Felony stop arrest for undisclosed type of crime of violence and released on personal recognizance which also has some sort of $2K amount attached to it? Public Defender wants him to cop to a plea right off the bat and then stalls the trial date almost a year? He wants a new attorney that wil run him $2K for the initial retainer but cannot raise/borrow the funds for over half a year?

My vote is for the second possibility. There's more to this story than what the video covers.

stay safe.

Slidell Jim

Don't draw if you are hesitant

Another reason to not draw your weapon if you think you may hesitate. If Mac had just blow that POS away, we'd be reading "Man defends fiancee from assault by ex", under the section True Tales of Self Defense. good luck Mac!

UPDATE? I think this story was from last year, his court dates were for October, November, December. The LCLREPORT posted that video in January of 2010. So that would have put his court dates in Oct, Nov, Dec of 2009. We should be able to find update from this spring.

Aaron1124

I wonder if using a taser would still be considered assault with a weapon in court. or mace for that matter.

In my opinion, it would fall under the "Use of Force" statute, because Washington does not have an "Assault with a weapon" statute, or even an "Assault with a Deadly Weapon" statute. Any assault with a deadly weapon would fall under Assault in the First Degree.

Assault in the First Degree

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.36.011

Use of Force Chapter

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.010

maclean

That is exactly why I carry a taser and O.C. spray in addition with my firearm. Different levels of force for different levels of threats.

Admirable, but most people are not willing to go as far in their preparedness.

amlevin

+1

Gun... BUG... taser... spray.... knife... multitool.... flashlight.... keys.... wallet... I remember someone here once said they carry handcuffs. At what point does one stop being an informed citizen and become, as you said, Batman? :confused:
You left out Cell Phone, Recorder, Video Camera, and Water Bottle.

It could take one an extra 20 minutes just "gearing up" for a trip to the store for milk. Either that or put it all on a "Duty Belt" and spend all your time telling everyone you're not a LEO.

Aaron1124

You left out Cell Phone, Recorder, Video Camera, and Water Bottle.

It could take one an extra 20 minutes just "gearing up" for a trip to the store for milk. Either that or put it all on a "Duty Belt" and spend all your time telling everyone you're not a LEO.

When I carry my O.C. and Taser, I carry them concealed, in my pocket. I don't really bother with the holsters.

3/325

Someone in close proximity can easily open your throat with a knife you never knew he had. Cops sometimes learn the hard way that nearly any person is capable of doing serious (even lethal) damage in an instant. If I were physically attacked, I have to assume the worst for my own safety; I can't assume that I'll be notified prior to each level of force escalation from my attacker.