• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith & Wesson M&P 45 Pros and Cons

chewy352

t33j

Only M&P I've fired was a compact .40. Aside from the annoying safety feature on the trigger, it had the worst trigger I've felt. That may not be so for the full size guns but I'd make sure I tried one before I bought one if I were you.

chewy352

Only M&P I've fired was a compact .40. Aside from the annoying safety feature on the trigger, it had the worst trigger I've felt. That may not be so for the full size guns but I'd make sure I tried one before I bought one if I were you.

Some of the pictures looked like it had a trigger safety (which I do not like) but I could not find it in writing. I will be trying this gun and others I am looking at before purchasing.

marrero jeff

The slide release being actuated during reloading isnt random at all. it was designed to eliminate the movement of pulling the slide back or releasing the slide stop after inserting a new magazine. simply insert the magazine and tap it at a 45 degree angle as you seat the magazine and it releases the slide and chambers a round. watch magpuls art of the dynamic handgun for a demonstration.

chewy352

The slide release being actuated during reloading isnt random at all. it was designed to eliminate the movement of pulling the slide back or releasing the slide stop after inserting a new magazine. simply insert the magazine and tap it at a 45 degree angle as you seat the magazine and it releases the slide and chambers a round. watch magpuls art of the dynamic handgun for a demonstration.

Cool. The video I watched was pretty random but if it does it (as long as I do it right) then I like the idea.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have an M&P40 which I purchased last December. Out of the box, the trigger was gritty with varying "feels" as it traveled to its release point. So I disassemble the gun and carefully inspected its parts; how it worked, how they all worked together, and how the trigger operated. This gave me an idea.

For the next several weeks as I watched TV, I would "work" the trigger many, many times. What I did was (after a thorough cleaning) to dry fire the gun one time, then without racking the slide to reset the stricker, I would pull the trigger rapidly hundreds of times. I have done this well over 6,000 times so far. The result was a much smoother trigger and a better overall feel.

BTW, the action type is not Double Action at all. In fact, it's not even a DAO (Double Action Only). It's actually a Single Action Only (SAO). The trigger does but one thing. It cams the sear to release the striker from a fully cocked position.

Slave

I have no clue what these people are talking about.

I own one in .40, and shoot the .45 at my local range, it's next on the buy list.

No grit what so ever what this "grit" is.

I swear, "trigger job" is the new interweb/mall ninja term.

It makes me wonder, if every pistol I have heard of, needs a "trigger job", then why aren't these manufacturers just changing the triggers?

As for what southerboy did, wow. talk about yikes.

Here is what I did:

I went to my LGS, gave the man my CPL, $570, waited 10 minutes, he gave me 100 rounds, my m&p .40, I left, drove to the range, shot 100 rounds, flawlessly, came home, put some oil on the slide, and watched some TV.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

I have no clue what these people are talking about.

I own one in .40, and shoot the .45 at my local range, it's next on the buy list.

No grit what so ever what this "grit" is.

I swear, "trigger job" is the new interweb/mall ninja term.

It makes me wonder, if every pistol I have heard of, needs a "trigger job", then why aren't these manufacturers just changing the triggers?

As for what southerboy did, wow. talk about yikes.

Here is what I did:

I went to my LGS, gave the man my CPL, $570, waited 10 minutes, he gave me 100 rounds, my m&p .40, I left, drove to the range, shot 100 rounds, flawlessly, came home, put some oil on the slide, and watched some TV.

Cool your jets, friend. Think cars.

There will always be those who want to improve the breed, personalize their property, or just plain see how good they can make it. For SD firearms, it is not at all unusual for people to make modifications of some sort. Sights, grips, different barrels, and yes... triggers. Think personal preference.

Your comment, "I have no clue what these people are talking about" would seem to indicate that perhaps you have not been around guns and the gun culture very long. If this is the case, ease up and enjoy what others have to offer. You'd be amazed at how much you'll learn and who knows.... you may find something that specifically addresses some concern you might have.

Also, what does "As for what southerboy did, wow. talk about yikes" mean? What I did is something I've done one other time with a revolver and it worked quite well with that gun, too. I took that path first because I wanted to see if that would make things better before considering changes to the gun's internals. It worked for me and so I am pleased with my results.

So sit back and enjoy the show. One of the great things about learning is the fact that you discover humility.

chewy352

So Southernboy, is it possible to switch out the trigger? For some reason I just dont like trigger safetys. Of course the only one I have shot is the XD. The gunsmith at my local gunstore said no but after he found out I wasn't spending money that day I was lucky to get 2 letters out of him.

SouthernBoy

So Southernboy, is it possible to switch out the trigger? For some reason I just dont like trigger safetys. Of course the only one I have shot is the XD. The gunsmith at my local gunstore said no but after he found out I wasn't spending money that day I was lucky to get 2 letters out of him.

I'm not completely sure with what you mean by switching out the trigger. The M&P trigger can certainly be improved with aftermarket parts and some tuning. Go to the M&P enthusiasts' website below for a whole lot of info on this and related subjects.

I don't mind the M&P trigger at all for a carry sidearm after having done what I described above. For my purposes with a defensive firearm, this was all that was needed to give me a decent trigger on my M&P40. However, I don't normally carry this gun, though it is in my carry stable along with some other choices. My primary carry gun is one of my 3G Glock 23's. I will say the M&P40 has a fabulous feel to it.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

chewy352

I'm not completely sure with what you mean by switching out the trigger. The M&P trigger can certainly be improved with aftermarket parts and some tuning. Go to the M&P enthusiasts' website below for a whole lot of info on this and related subjects.

I don't mind the M&P trigger at all for a carry sidearm after having done what I described above. For my purposes with a defensive firearm, this was all that was needed to give me a decent trigger on my M&P40. However, I don't normally carry this gun, though it is in my carry stable along with some other choices. My primary carry gun is one of my 3G Glock 23's. I will say the M&P40 has a fabulous feel to it.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/

Hope this helps.

What I mean is switching the safety trigger with just a regular trigger no safety just thumb safety. Thanks for the link I'll check it out. And again I still need to shoot the M&P so I may not mind the stock trigger anyways.

Slave

Cool your jets, friend. Think cars.

There will always be those who want to improve the breed, personalize their property, or just plain see how good they can make it. For SD firearms, it is not at all unusual for people to make modifications of some sort. Sights, grips, different barrels, and yes... triggers. Think personal preference.

Your comment, "I have no clue what these people are talking about" would seem to indicate that perhaps you have not been around guns and the gun culture very long. If this is the case, ease up and enjoy what others have to offer. You'd be amazed at how much you'll learn and who knows.... you may find something that specifically addresses some concern you might have.

Also, what does "As for what southerboy did, wow. talk about yikes" mean? What I did is something I've done one other time with a revolver and it worked quite well with that gun, too. I took that path first because I wanted to see if that would make things better before considering changes to the gun's internals. It worked for me and so I am pleased with my results.

So sit back and enjoy the show. One of the great things about learning is the fact that you discover humility.

I mean, yikes, as in you felt like you had to squeeze a trigger 6000 times before the weapon had a trigger that felt good enough for you? 6000?

I mean, I understand that once a catch phrase catches on that it becomes a culture.

The new culture for handguns: GET A TRIGGER JOB.

I didn't want the OP to pass on a great weapon with a great trigger because the "trigger job" crowd deemed this one needing a trigger job.

It doesn't. It certainly doesn't need a trigger replacement, and it doesn't need to to be squeezed 6000 times, dry, before it's good enough.

Threads like these, where someone would squeeze a trigger 6000 times, and, and where people take a stock handgun out and immediately get a trigger job, or where a smooth silky trigger is conscidered gritty, belongs in a mall ninja thread.

I could see a new weapon being stiff, as all new ones are. 6000 trigger squeezes? this in not normal for a new gun, nor is it required.

I posted so the OP got some non Joe Tacticool info on a great american made handgun, so he could make a better choice. If he thought that the posters here where correct, or the rest of the trigger job mafia was correct, he may just pass on it.

OP, no, no trigger job is needed. This weapon functions great, right out of the box.

Mr H

I have a M&P .40 (full size no thumb safety). It has been the best overall gun in the rota.

That is a feature I wasn't familiar with (read, "discovered while reloading"). I was thinking it might have been a fault I needed to keep an eye on.

As for the trigger safety? I prefer to think of it in terms of a two-stage trigger, and once used to the feel, it really is no big deal.

My son's .45 has had some FTFs that I've witnessed, but he was putting something like 500 a month through it (probably 5000 at that point?), hoping he'd be allowed to use it as his service weapon. I've put almost 2000 through mine in a year+, and have never had an issue.

Generally, I'd call the platform very solid.

Mr H

For the next several weeks as I watched TV, I would "work" the trigger many, many times. What I did was (after a thorough cleaning) to dry fire the gun one time, then without racking the slide to reset the stricker, I would pull the trigger rapidly hundreds of times. I have done this well over 6,000 times so far. The result was a much smoother trigger and a better overall feel.

I did the same on a recommendation (I forget from who), and while I never felt anything "gritty" I do agree that working the trigger for a littlev while (not 6000, but some!!!!) seemed to help the feel.

Last edited:

Slave

I did the same on a recommendation (I forget from who), and while I never felt anything "gritty" I do agree that working the trigger for a littlev while (not 6000, but some!!!!) seemed to help the feel.

Oh yeah. mine feels better at 500 then it did new, but it felt great new, and feels more great now.

SouthernBoy

I mean, yikes, as in you felt like you had to squeeze a trigger 6000 times before the weapon had a trigger that felt good enough for you? 6000?

I mean, I understand that once a catch phrase catches on that it becomes a culture.

The new culture for handguns: GET A TRIGGER JOB.

I didn't want the OP to pass on a great weapon with a great trigger because the "trigger job" crowd deemed this one needing a trigger job.

It doesn't. It certainly doesn't need a trigger replacement, and it doesn't need to to be squeezed 6000 times, dry, before it's good enough.

Threads like these, where someone would squeeze a trigger 6000 times, and, and where people take a stock handgun out and immediately get a trigger job, or where a smooth silky trigger is conscidered gritty, belongs in a mall ninja thread.

I could see a new weapon being stiff, as all new ones are. 6000 trigger squeezes? this in not normal for a new gun, nor is it required.

I posted so the OP got some non Joe Tacticool info on a great american made handgun, so he could make a better choice. If he thought that the posters here where correct, or the rest of the trigger job mafia was correct, he may just pass on it.

OP, no, no trigger job is needed. This weapon functions great, right out of the box.

You haven't been around firearms a long time have you? Just a guess mind you... not an insult.

You can take, say, ten M&P Smiths and line them up on a counter, and I would wager most would have a slightly different feel to their triggers. They are mass produced mechanical items and therefore, subject to imperfections of varying degrees. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone who wants a particular gun because it suits his wants and needs at the time, but who wants to make some sort of change. Perhaps the sights are not to his liking. Or maybe there is an aftermarket recoil spring he wants to install. And then there is the trigger.

If you want to see wholesale discussions on trigger modifications, checkout Glock enthusiast websites, or 1911 websites. There are a multitude of aftermarket products for Glocks out there. Hell, just this past Monday, I had a set of Warren Tactical sights installed on my 3G Glock 19. And yes, I have made mods to that gun's trigger since I bought it. Also, my primary carry gun is one of my 3G Glock 23's and I have made three alterations to its trigger to suit my needs.

Not all brand new guns "need" a trigger job, but I contend that many people do, in fact, follow that path in order to get what THEY believe to be is best for them, be it target shooting, competition, or self defense. I am not going to defend what I did with my M&P40's trigger because of two reasons: 1) it's my property and I don't have to or need to defend my actions; 2) It has improved my M&P40's trigger to my satisfaction and that is reason enough for me.

Finally, a little piece of advice for you. You're comparatively new here on these boards and I suggest you may wish to consider your approach, presentation, and attitude towards others before you post. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who will go out of their way to help other members with all sorts of questions and requests. How you come across may well dictate not only how you are perceived, but also how you are treated and responses you might receive. Just a suggestion.

Slave

You haven't been around firearms a long time have you? Just a guess mind you... not an insult.

You can take, say, ten M&P Smiths and line them up on a counter, and I would wager most would have a slightly different feel to their triggers. They are mass produced mechanical items and therefore, subject to imperfections of varying degrees. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone who wants a particular gun because it suits his wants and needs at the time, but who wants to make some sort of change. Perhaps the sights are not to his liking. Or maybe there is an aftermarket recoil spring he wants to install. And then there is the trigger.

If you want to see wholesale discussions on trigger modifications, checkout Glock enthusiast websites, or 1911 websites. There are a multitude of aftermarket products for Glocks out there. Hell, just this past Monday, I had a set of Warren Tactical sights installed on my 3G Glock 19. And yes, I have made mods to that gun's trigger since I bought it. Also, my primary carry gun is one of my 3G Glock 23's and I have made three alterations to its trigger to suit my needs.

Not all brand new guns "need" a trigger job, but I contend that many people do, in fact, follow that path in order to get what THEY believe to be is best for them, be it target shooting, competition, or self defense. I am not going to defend what I did with my M&P40's trigger because of two reasons: 1) it's my property and I don't have to or need to defend my actions; 2) It has improved my M&P40's trigger to my satisfaction and that is reason enough for me.

Finally, a little piece of advice for you. You're comparatively new here on these boards and I suggest you may wish to consider your approach, presentation, and attitude towards others before you post. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who will go out of their way to help other members with all sorts of questions and requests. How you come across may well dictate not only how you are perceived, but also how you are treated and responses you might receive. Just a suggestion.

20 years, that includes huge weapons in the Army, everything from pistols to claymore mines. I have considered my approach, carefully. My stance is the same.

Dry firing a pistol 6000 times over several weeks before it is carried is silly, and ridiculous, IMO. This kind of behavior screams mall ninja.

I would hate for the OP to pass on this great weapon because of something he read from the trigger job crowd.

This weapon has a great trigger.

EDIT: I hate glocks. No information about a glock trigger even has a bearing on the trigger on the pistol the OP was asking about.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

20 years, that includes huge weapons in the Army, everything from pistols to claymore mines. I have considered my approach, carefully. My stance is the same.

Dry firing a pistol 6000 times over several weeks before it is carried is silly, and ridiculous, IMO. This kind of behavior screams mall ninja.

I would hate for the OP to pass on this great weapon because of something he read from the trigger job crowd.

This weapon has a great trigger.

EDIT: I hate glocks. No information about a glock trigger even has a bearing on the trigger on the pistol the OP was asking about.

Forty-two years for me, around guns and part of the gun culture that is.

Don't have a clue what a "mall ninja" is because I don't tend to watch movies of that type nor do I hang around with "ninjas" or such. And I never said, "Dry firing a pistol 6000 times over several weeks". I said "working" the trigger quickly AFTER a dry fire. My research before doing this indicated that the M&P does not favor a lot of dry firing without snap caps.

Perhaps your M&P for you was fine out of the box. But that by no means says that someone else's new M&P is going to suit their desires. I loved the feel of the gun, but knew that the trigger on the one I purchased was not up to my preferences. But I also knew that triggers can be improved. Once again.... personal preference.

As for Glocks, you obviously have a strong bias against them and that matters not one iota to me. I don't have strong biases against guns... I do, however, like some better than others for the simple fact that they fit my wants and needs at the time I purchased them. Again.... preferences. Incidentally, I only used my Glock as an example in my post.

The OP should do as he sees fit for HIS particular needs. If this means improving the trigger, so be it. I was merely offering a suggestion for him to try something that I did which worked very well for me.

'Nuff said?

Slave

The recoil felt the same to me, which is pretty nice. Well, maybe the full sized one was a little better on follow up shots.