• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry Event- Zion Illinois, OCT. 30th

M

McX

October 30th - Zion, IL - OPEN CARRY EVENT @ 1st Class Firearms

One of ICarry.org's members and volunteers has organized an event in Zion, Illinois at 1st Class Firearms - http://www.1stclassfirearms.com

We are planning on collecting toys for Toys 4 Tots - seeing as how the holiday's are approaching and there are many kids who could use a little happiness and compassion for Christmas.

Someone is working on a flyer right now, and it will be posted as soon as it's finished. Otherwise, there is more discussion about this event over at this thread: http://www.icarry.org/ftopict-3951.html

The event should be well-attended, and everyone is welcome. Pro-gun organizations are welcome, political candidates, Wisconsin citizens, and anyone who wants to be part of open carry pioneering in Illinois. Our last event in Loves Park, IL (Rockford) was a wonderful success, with approximately 75 or so people open carrying throughout the day, lots of fun deals, raffles, a shooting contest, and much more. We don't know what all activities will be available at this event, but it's sure to be just as successful as the last.

Hope to see you there!!!

I hate to use this word too extensively; but again my fellow carriers we have a morale obligation to support our brothers in Illinois, who toil endlessly against the oppresive laws in their state. this event is within reach of many in southern Wisconsin. Let's get some members down there to show our support, and appreciation for all that our brothers have done in Illinois to help us in Wisconsin. I am planning to attend, and bring my children with!

paul@paul-fisher.com

October 30th - Zion, IL - OPEN CARRY EVENT @ 1st Class Firearms

One of ICarry.org's members and volunteers has organized an event in Zion, Illinois at 1st Class Firearms - http://www.1stclassfirearms.com

We are planning on collecting toys for Toys 4 Tots - seeing as how the holiday's are approaching and there are many kids who could use a little happiness and compassion for Christmas.

Someone is working on a flyer right now, and it will be posted as soon as it's finished. Otherwise, there is more discussion about this event over at this thread: http://www.icarry.org/ftopict-3951.html

The event should be well-attended, and everyone is welcome. Pro-gun organizations are welcome, political candidates, Wisconsin citizens, and anyone who wants to be part of open carry pioneering in Illinois. Our last event in Loves Park, IL (Rockford) was a wonderful success, with approximately 75 or so people open carrying throughout the day, lots of fun deals, raffles, a shooting contest, and much more. We don't know what all activities will be available at this event, but it's sure to be just as successful as the last.

Hope to see you there!!!

I hate to use this word too extensively; but again my fellow carriers we have a morale obligation to support our brothers in Illinois, who toil endlessly against the oppresive laws in their state. this event is within reach of many in southern Wisconsin. Let's get some members down there to show our support, and appreciation for all that our brothers have done in Illinois to help us in Wisconsin. I am planning to attend, and bring my children with!

I thought the law was if you were open carrying you had to have a FOID and IL will not issue FOID to non-residents.

paul@paul-fisher.com

private property exempt? Anyway, c'mon down Paul, Madison Police won't be there!

I do not believe so. Also, I believe that if we are OC'ing in IL. we cannot refuse ID and the absence of an FOID is a felony and unfortunately they would have RAS and PC so the charges would stick.

TyGuy

1) It's on private property, which is good because OC and CC are illegal in IL, but you can do what you like on private property.
2) You need a FOID to own, transport, purchase, etc... a firearm or ammunition if you live in Illinois. As Wisconsin residents I would think that you would be exempt.
3) IANAL but it would be nice to see some people from WI down here. I go to the WI events to OC as I have no way to carry in Illinois.

Canard

I thought the law was if you were open carrying you had to have a FOID and IL will not issue FOID to non-residents.

How are they able to issue non-resident hunting licenses then? "we'll take your money for a hunting license but you can't carry a gun"

I am curious about the specific language related. Anyone?

paul@paul-fisher.com

1) It's on private property, which is good because OC and CC are illegal in IL, but you can do what you like on private property.
2) You need a FOID to own, transport, purchase, etc... a firearm or ammunition if you live in Illinois. As Wisconsin residents I would think that you would be exempt.
3) IANAL but it would be nice to see some people from WI down here. I go to the WI events to OC as I have no way to carry in Illinois.

I would love to go but we either need a link to IL law or some other clarification. I might still show up 'open holster' but I'd rather OC.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran

That FOID card requirement, passed during the anti-firearm hysteria of the late 60's is a classic example of a police state "show me your papers" approach to limiting 2nd Amendment rights. It is beyond me why the people of Illinois put up with such nonsense. I'm sure the Joyce Foundation, headquartered in Chicago, will spend millons to fund "studies" that argue against its repeal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOID_(firearms)

The FOID is being challenged, but not by an Illinois resident. I don't know if it is possible for a Wisconsin resident to join the suit.

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/08/illinoiss-foid-card-challenged.html

It is notable that the Mountain States Legal Foundation is assisting in the challenge. Another organization that is taking aggressive action to protect our rights and should have our support.

http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/

http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/legal_cases.cfm?Value=78

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I'm going and I will be open carrying

I have purchased several firearms and lots of ammunition in Illinois as a Wisconsin resident. If you are NOT a Illinois resident the FOID card for ammo and firearm purchases doesn't apply. Strange isn't it? If you ARE a Illinois resident you are PENALIZED and have to pay for the FOID card. So people from other states actually have more rights than Illinois residents since we do not have to have the FOID card.

As a matter of fact I often visit the Bass Pro Shop just across the border (I live in Kenosha) and have handled quite a few firearms and purchased quite a bit of shotgun ammo from them. On the gun racks there are signs that state "Illinois Residents Must Have FOID Cards To Handle Firearms" or words to that effect.

M

McX

when in rome, i'll do as the romans do. i'll try to obey the laws of both states, as best i can, as i understand them. i will also keep in mind the last event they had went off without a hitch. i don't realy give a damn if we get there and can't carry, i'm still going, and wearing my WisconsinCarry t-shirt to show our presence. that's what matters to me.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
a FOID card is only available and required for actual residents of "ILL-Annoy" A resident of another state does not need that nonsense to have a firearm.
I believe the law in IL. is that open carry is prohibited except in "Rural Area's" But there is no legal definition of "Rural Area" in the statutes.

Guys please be careful, make sure you understand IL laws so you do not get caught in their web of idiocy and end up getting nailed. I bet it would be best to have copies of IL statutes with you for the police if they show up and plan to arrest. You may also want to research Lake County and Zion ordinances too. I do not think there are any preemption statutes to keep communities from enforcing their own restrictive laws.

Illinois laws scare me enough that I personally would not attend even if I lived right there. I am not trying to say do not go, just cover your arse so nothing bad happens to you, the lake county jail is a very unpleasant place with the worst bologna sandwiches I have ever tasted!

BTW, Zion is a 'Dry" town with no bars or restaurants serving alcohol, you can drink there, you just cannot buy alcohol in that town, not even package stores. But there are bars and liquor stores directly across the street on every major road leading out of that city.

Good luck guys, I mean it!

TyGuy

These questions will be better answered in the Ill forum where the whole thread might better be, else who is responsible/culpable when a Wisconsin resident is arrested for improper Ill gun carry?
I agree that it might be better to put it in the IL forum, but it is being advertised for people from both states to come.

As for who is repsonsible, probably the person themselves. I wouldn't blame OC.org or WIcarry.org if I were arrested in WI.