• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting lack of anti-gun rants

TFred

I'm a regular reader of Consumerist.com. The place is populated with left-leaning New Yorkers, who generally aren't too fond of the whole Second Amendment thing.

Today there is an article about a bank incorrectly sending a locksmith to change locks on a house that was not in foreclosure. Obviously this is a bad thing to do, and much to my surprise, many of the comments noted that this locksmith is quite lucky to still be alive!

And not only that, at least so far, there hasn't been an outpouring of whacky liberal anti-gun drivel to counter these comments.

TFred

TFred

Why is changing the locks on a house not in foreclosure obviously a bad thing?
Well, I assumed people would read the article... or at least the whole post! :rolleyes:

The bank sent a locksmith to an occupied home that was not in foreclosure, to change the locks. Apparently the typical method for doing this is to break locks on front door of the house, then replace old locks with new locks.

Locksmith lucky to be alive.

TFred

Last edited:

Jack House

That is just plain stupid.

Why is changing the locks on a house not in foreclosure obviously a bad thing?
I guess you're right, it's not at all a bad thing to break into some innocent person's home and change the locks on their doors without there consent or even warning them. :rolleyes:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Well, I assumed people would read the article... or at least the whole post! :rolleyes:

The bank sent a locksmith to an occupied home that was not in foreclosure, to change the locks. Apparently the typical method for doing this is to break locks on front door of the house, then replace old locks with new locks.

Locksmith lucky to be alive.

TFred

There's a little house in TX where such an action would have definately ended in severe injury or worse to said lock breaker.

OldCurlyWolf

There's a little house in TX where such an action would have definately ended in severe injury or worse to said lock breaker.

A few in my neck of the woods also. But I would feel real bad about an innocent locksmith. It wasn't his fault, he was just doing his job. I personally wouldn't have done anything to him other than make him replace the lock for free and hand me the keys. I would go after a bank with criminal charges and a civil suit. :cool:

TFred

As much as these botched foreclosure cases have been in the news these past few weeks, I think the locksmith would have to be pretty dumb to just blindly trust that the bank was correct. Maybe I expect too much... but considering what the guy is doing is literally breaking and entering... I think I'd at least look in a window first.

TFred

rodbender

Nevertheless... I'd venture to guess that more than one car repo man has fled the scene with his hide full of lead!

TFred

Here in Texas a few repo guys have died trying to make that buck and the shooter didn't even have to make a trip to the popo station. With the castle doctrine in place I doubt that a home repo man would fair any better. He really should check for occupants.

When I was repoing, I always tried the sensible approach first. If they didn't give up the vehicle, I would go back later and take it.