• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northlake OC'r

kennedy71809

I work in the Northlake Mall in NW Charlotte and have thought about OCing (off the clock) in the mall since I moved here in July. I have been hesitant however after not seeing anyone doing the same combined with reading reports on here about negative responses from the security guards. However, I was pleasently surprised to see a 20 something yearold man with his wife OCing. Hopefully this new underage curfew that the mall has enacted combined with the LEO presence on the weekends has cleaned the mall up enough that everyone isn't so jumpy. Has anyone esle OC'd in the Northlake Mall? If so what type of response did you get from emplyees, fellow shoppers, LEO's, Security?

sultan62

No, I haven't carried there.

I will say that discrimination can possibly worse against you since you are an employee there(even if carrying off the clock), so that should be a consideration.

If you decide to, good luck.

chiefjason

Most malls that I have looked into prohibit firearms. Though there may be no signs on all the doors, they tend to have it hidden in their customer info. I thought someone nearly got arrested up there for OC'ing a couple years ago. Could be wrong. IIRC he was asked to leave and refused.

Dreamer

Look at the fine print on your contract.

I worked a Sears a few years ago, and it was their corporate policy at that time that you couldn't carry (OC or CC) on their property ANY time--on or off the clock--if you were an employee. I know several other companies (and they are not all retail establishments) that have similar clauses in their corporate policies.

Is such a policy legal? Yes. Businesses are private property, and they can deny ANYONE access for any reason (or no reason).

Is it constitutional or moral? Hell no...

That's part of the reason why I rarely go into Sears anymore, except to buy the occasional Craftsman tool...

And "chiefjason" is correct--most malls have "no carry" policies these days. Why is that? Most people use the excuse that it's for "public safety" and to "not scare the other customers". But the REAL reason is that the majority of malls in the US are now owned by big international holding companies based in England and France (look it up), and they are pushing their own hopolophobic agendas of citizen disarmament on us...

Last edited:

chiefjason

I remember reading something similar chiefJason.

If a mall were to ban CC or OC, they have to post it on every entrance like any other establishment correct?

Technically I would say yes. But once they ask you to leave it's a moot point. You're trespassing if you don't. And having it in their code of conduct just strengthens that position with LEO's. I try hard not to shop at malls for this reason. I'll shop some of the unposted anchor stores that don't corporately ban firearms, but stay out of the mall proper. The anchor stores generally play by different rules, ie Bass Pro in Concord.

kennedy71809

First: I work in a kiosk. (TMobile Rep) So unlike Sears, who I also used to work for, I wouldn't ever need to enter the kiosk off the clock.

Second: So would the general opinion be that if it isn't posted that it is a bit risky but that I would be doing no wrong unless of course they asked me to leave and I refused?

From what I read here, carrying is in no way mentioned. To me the last paragraph would point back to the "leave if asked" issue and nothing further legally. Am I correct?

http://www.shopnorthlake.com/rules

sultan62