• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry into any State Building in Wyoming

MatieA

I was recently asked to leave the Wyoming State Museum because the building code does not allow firearms into any State Building. Well, I emailed the Governor and asked him about this and was mailed a letter from Mike McVay - Director of the Department of Administration and Information, and in that letter he quotes the rule that actually states that no dangerous weapon may be carried into any building under the control of the SBC. He also states that Executive Order 2001-1 states that no deadly weapon may be carried on or in any state premises.
I am posting a pdf of the actual letter that I received, but be warned that if you carry into any state building you will probably be asked to leave.
Well it will be a jpg, because it said my pdf was too large..........Go figure!!

State_Buildings.jpg

Wyocowboy

Did you ask if there was a provision for securing your firearm in the building? Quite a few years ago, the law was changed in the State Legislature building against carrying a firearm. At that time, though, you could secure it at the desk.
This law needs to be changed, but with the current candidates for Gov, only Taylor Haynes (the write in ) will do anything about it.

MatieA

Actually this is not a law, but a building code, and an executive order. In my opinion it is a rather weaselly sp? way to get around enacting a law that may not be passed. The capitol no longer has any place to secure firearms supposedly due to Insurance restrictions, which I am tempted to believe. The other state buildings do not (that I know of) have any means to secure any weapons.
The one scary part of this is that it restricts all dangerous weapons, and I have not found any list of these weapons; I have written him back and asked for a list of these weapons as I'd hate to be evicted from a building because I carried nail clippers inside. I also asked why anyone thinks that a code restricting weapons is going to be effective against a criminal especially when the buildings aren't even posted.....

MatieA

Interesting. I was in Cheyenne in May or June and went through the museum. The lady told me I had to put my camera in a locker, but I open carried my firearm all through the museum.

What does the Wyoming preemption statute say? If it says something like the area of firearms possession is solely reserved to the LEGISLATURE... I would not think the governor, an EXECUTIVE, could override that.

ARTICLE 4 - REGULATION BY STATE

6-8-401.� Firearm, weapon and ammunition regulation and prohibition by state.

(a)� The sale, transfer, purchase, delivery, taxation, manufacture, ownership, transportation, storage, use and possession of firearms, weapons and ammunition shall be authorized, regulated and prohibited by the state, and regulation thereof is preempted by the state. Except as authorized by W.S. 15-1-103(a)(xviii), no city, town or county shall authorize, regulate or prohibit the sale, transfer, purchase, delivery, taxation, manufacture, ownership, transportation, storage, use or possession of firearms, weapons and ammunition except as specifically provided by this chapter. This section shall not affect zoning or other ordinances which encompass firearms businesses along with other businesses. Zoning and other ordinances which are designed for the purpose of restricting or prohibiting the sale, purchase, transfer or manufacture of firearms or ammunition as a method of regulating firearms or ammunition are in conflict with this section and are prohibited.

(b)� As used in this article, "firearm" means any weapon which will or is designed to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive.

W.S. 15-1-103(a)(xviii)

(xviii)� Regulate, prevent or suppress riots, disturbances, disorderly assemblies or parades, or any other conduct which disturbs or jeopardizes the public health, safety, peace or morality, in any public or private place;

Last edited:

MatieA

I sent off my letter to Mr. McVay today; I pulled it from the envelope and made some changes to it, since I hadn't yet mailed it. I would love to go talk to him in person, but unfortunately I just can't afford the fuel right now to drive into Cheyenne, so I will just have to await his written response.

aadvark

The Governor of Wyoming can not supercede the decisions made by The Wyoming Legislature.

MatieA

I have been to busy with work this last week to call, but I have not received a reply to my letter; wasn't sure that I would, but I was hoping. I will call his office as soon as I have some time off during "business hours".

AB

Cited old statute above--

ARTICLE 4 - REGULATION BY STATE

6-8-401. Firearm, weapon and ammunition regulation and prohibition by state.

(a) The Wyoming legislature finds that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right. The Wyoming legislature affirms this right as a constitutionally protected right in every part of Wyoming.

(c) The sale, transfer, purchase, delivery, taxation, manufacture, ownership, transportation, storage, use and possession of firearms, weapons and ammunition shall be authorized, regulated and prohibited by the state, and regulation thereof is preempted by the state. Except as authorized by W.S. 15-1-103(a)(xviii), no city, town, county, political subdivision or any other entity shall authorize, regulate or prohibit the sale, transfer, purchase, delivery, taxation, manufacture, ownership, transportation, storage, use, carrying or possession of firearms, weapons, accessories, components or ammunition except as specifically provided by this chapter. This section shall not affect zoning or other ordinances which encompass firearms businesses along with other businesses. Zoning and other ordinances which are designed for the purpose of restricting or prohibiting the sale, purchase, transfer or manufacture of firearms or ammunition as a method of regulating firearms or ammunition are in conflict with this section and are prohibited.

Note on W.S. 15-1-103(a)(xviii) - is specifically for the “prevention or suppression of riots, disturbances, disorderly assemblies or parades, or any other conduct which disturbs or jeopardizes public health, safety, peace, or morality, in any public or private place”…this is a unruly mob clause.

http://wyominggunowners.org/wyoming-gun-laws/state-preemption/

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
MatieA,

As a sometimes visitor to Wyoming, I try to stay up on what goes on there.

I remember clearly how you defended the public officials in Pine Bluffs who took such umbrage at "outsiders" asking/demanding things of them. I recall they even went to so far as to tell anyone who would listen that even though they had a law on the books, people needn't get all worried, because, hey, we're not going to enforce it anyway.

In other words, they used everything at their disposal, including the credulity of those who took them at their word, to twist a situation to their favor. There were those, including AB and myself, who told you not to trust them.

Remember all that?

Now you have a circumstance in which you seem to have a personal interest, and guess what?? The politicians are using half-truths, or full out lies, in an attempt to sound reasonable and dissuasive.

What's your reaction going to be this time? I hope you've learned that politicians will snow you if they can, and feel no remorse in doing so.

Maybe as you pursue this matter, as I hope you will, you will come to more fully appreciate why some people recognize from experience that playing nice with someone who is trying to BS you will get you nowhere. Call them out on their half-truths and see what the reaction is - that will clearly define them.

On the other hand, I see you haven't posted about the matter in three months, so...

Last edited: