Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry opinion (hypothetical)

Carry opinion (hypothetical)

Hello all,

Just a question if you choose to answer; Given the choice we don't have in WI, open or concealed, with no restriction between the two (licensing, permits, etc.) which would you choose?

Please give me your opinions from both a personal and tactical stand point. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    CCW

I carried CCW for some years and am quite comfortable with it personally. Tactically it adds concealment, removing unneeded attention, and the element of surprise.

You do know that this is OPEN CARRY.org's forum?

Open or concealed?

I have carried concealed off and on for many years and have only started open carrying daily here in Wisconsin about 2 years ago. Having carried concealed most of my life I thought it was the "only" way to exercise the right. However, after having moved to Wisconsin and delved into open carry I am a much stronger proponent for open carry instead of concealed carry. Besides, usually concealed carry is not a right but a privilege due to licensing requirements except in Vermont, Alaska and Arizona. I firmly believe that we fight for our rights, not privileges and therefore we keep our open carry right and fight for our concealed carry right.

My two cents and welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    CCW

I carried CCW for some years and am quite comfortable with it personally. Tactically it adds concealment, removing unneeded attention, and the element of surprise.

You do know that this is OPEN CARRY.org's forum?
    Yes, I'm just asking for the consensus opinion, no politics. I am not a CCW advocate at all.

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar
    It depends on the circumstance to which i would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by springfield 1911 View Post
    Well, I think I have given the circumstances. So what do you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Justincase View Post
    And i gave you my answer.

Given the choice, open or concealed, with no restriction between the two (licensing, permits, etc.) which would you choose?

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    In what way?

The way I would answer is it depends. For example, if I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I would OC. If I was wearing a heavy winter jacket, I would CC. At any other time, I might do both at the same time, depends where I am going, what I'm wearing and what mood I'm in.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Yes, I'm just asking for the consensus opinion, no politics. I am not a CCW advocate at all.
    You will never achieve consensus here.

Quote Originally Posted by springfield 1911 View Post
    And i gave you my answer.

Given the choice, open or concealed, with no restriction between the two (licensing, permits, etc.) which would you choose?

Thank you, I understand your position.

Well, I understand that, but to quote one poster, "You do understand this is OPEN CARRY".

So, I thought it an intelligent question.

Thank you Justincase, I really wasn't trying to give you a hard time I answered as i understood it.. And Doug its right,
    Originally Posted by Doug Huffman

OK, barring consensus. Tactically, what is the opinion.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Depends. If a bad guy walks into a store to rob the place, sees someone OC'ing, they are more likely to leave without doing something.

However, if a bad guy is in a store and holds it up, you can sneak out your cc weapon and surprise him.

How's that for a non-answer?

If a bad guy is robbing a store and not threatening me or anyone I love, he probably walks out of the store. Getting involved in something that doesn't threaten you directly is very risky from a legal standpoint. We are not the police. We only stop threats to ourselves or our loved ones. Much could go wrong should you choose to intervene. What if you miss and hit the little girl standing next to him? There are probably a few dozen other things that could go very wrong and make you very liable, or very guilty.

There is a lot of animosity on this forum toward training but this is the type of situation that is discussed in depth in training classes.

As far a how I would carry. I have carried concealed a lot outside of the People's Republic. I have now been open carrying for about 2 years. I have come to actually prefer open carry but there are certainly times where concealed is the preferred method. So, as most everyone has already said, it depends.

I'll carry how I please, but I do prefer to OC since it is more comfortable.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Paradoxically, that's the one thing to which we will all agree!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Please give me your opinions from both a personal and tactical stand point.
    Like most things, it involves a number of trade-offs, weighing the pros and cons of each method. A couple of examples: A draw from open carry is faster because it (usually) eliminates the need to clear clothing out of the way as a separate part of the steps in drawing. Also, with clothing (presumably) out of the way there's less chance of it interfering with the draw. One ought to use a certain amount of forethought into what sort of clothing is worn when concealed. I quickly learned that the inner drawstring of a favorite safari jacket could interfere with a clean draw, so I pulled the string to the far side of the jacket so it wasn't dangling in the way and getting entangled in the draw. Concealment does have the advantage of surprise, which by itself could be a huge factor in some instances. Concealment has an advantage in crowds, although not a complete advantage. Poorly concealed firearms are very noticeable to anyone who has an eye for them. Additionally concealment holsters often lack the retention features of a holster designed for open carry. The concealment is supposed to be a large part of the retention.

Comfort-wise, it depends. For open carry I most often use a duty holster, which is comfortable when standing but not comfortable on long drives and sometimes makes the seat belt lock annoying to manipulate. My inside the waist concealment holster is more comfortable on long drives, but has the drawback of being slower and more difficult to reach while seated in a vehicle. As a compromise, on long drives, such as those I took out West, it may be the one time I opt for a shoulder holster (in addition to a pocket gun, not surprisingly in my jacket or shirt pocket.)

So in your hypothetical situation, where the legality of method is not an issue, I would tend to carry open unless in a large or otherwise questionable crowd, and probably have a secondary firearm in concealment.
    A. Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Paradoxically, that's the one thing to which we will all agree!
    I'll never agree to that!

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I'll never agree to that!

Yes you will! Or else!
    A. Gold

both open carry with a concealed back-up would be nice. .380 ankle holster or deep concealment while open carrying my M&P pro series.

I join Paul and shotgun. If we have true uninfringed choice of carry the manner that make most sense depends on the environment and circumstances.

Consensus requires harmony. You are in the wrong place if you expect to find that on this forum. I venture to say we couldn't even come to a consensus on the meaning of consensus.
    Last edited by Captain Nemo; 10-12-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I'll carry how I please, but I do prefer to OC since it is more comfortable.
    You've never carried the Ruger LCP with a pocket holster. Its no wider than my wallet, instantly available in all weather and super comfortable.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    I have carried both openly and concealed (when legal) and there are benefits to both. So each individual situation would dictate the style of how I carry.

Trying to keep a holstered firearm visible when wearing a long winter parka can be difficult, and trying to conceal in summer clothing can also be difficult.

The environment and company I am in would dictate my manner of carry, I just want the option to carry as I please

Opinion from someone with the choice

Being in MN we have the choice of OC or CC. That being said like shotgun's comment about it being a situational thing for me that rings true. Big crowds for me are an automatic conceal situation. IWB or ankle and if it's cold enough the shoulder rig with a jacket over the top.

For OC when cold I had my tailor cut a V into the bottom of one of my Carhartt jackets with a tie for behind the holster to keep the holster " open " and free from my jacket. I actually just took this back into them to ask if they could put some Velcro on the flaps so when I am not OC it can be sealed and all you see is a seam.
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast