• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry opinion (hypothetical)

Shane28

both open carry with a concealed back-up would be nice. .380 ankle holster or deep concealment while open carrying my M&P pro series.

Captain Nemo

I join Paul and shotgun. If we have true uninfringed choice of carry the manner that make most sense depends on the environment and circumstances.

Consensus requires harmony. You are in the wrong place if you expect to find that on this forum. I venture to say we couldn't even come to a consensus on the meaning of consensus.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I have carried both openly and concealed (when legal) and there are benefits to both. So each individual situation would dictate the style of how I carry.

Trying to keep a holstered firearm visible when wearing a long winter parka can be difficult, and trying to conceal in summer clothing can also be difficult.

The environment and company I am in would dictate my manner of carry, I just want the option to carry as I please

rotty

Opinion from someone with the choice

Being in MN we have the choice of OC or CC. That being said like shotgun's comment about it being a situational thing for me that rings true. Big crowds for me are an automatic conceal situation. IWB or ankle and if it's cold enough the shoulder rig with a jacket over the top.

For OC when cold I had my tailor cut a V into the bottom of one of my Carhartt jackets with a tie for behind the holster to keep the holster " open " and free from my jacket. I actually just took this back into them to ask if they could put some Velcro on the flaps so when I am not OC it can be sealed and all you see is a seam.

protias

Yes you will! Or else!

Homer drives up in his car, right over Bart’s bike, and orders Bart home.
Homer: Bart, you’re coming home.
Bart: I want to stay here with Mr. Burns.
Burns: I suggest you leave immediately.
Homer: Or what? You’ll release the dogs, or the bees, or the dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you? Well, go ahead—do your worst!
Burns slams the door and locks it
disbelieving He locked the door! I’ll show him—rings the doorbell and runs away

Last edited:

The Don

Being in MN we have the choice of OC or CC. That being said like shotgun's comment about it being a situational thing for me that rings true. Big crowds for me are an automatic conceal situation. IWB or ankle and if it's cold enough the shoulder rig with a jacket over the top.

For OC when cold I had my tailor cut a V into the bottom of one of my Carhartt jackets with a tie for behind the holster to keep the holster " open " and free from my jacket. I actually just took this back into them to ask if they could put some Velcro on the flaps so when I am not OC it can be sealed and all you see is a seam.

That jacket bit is a good idea. I've been thinking of doing something similar.

rotty

That jacket bit is a good idea. I've been thinking of doing something similar.

She only charged me 35 bucks for the initial " alteration " and another 25 to add the velcro. She did say it was going to take her a couple weeks to get to it which is fine considering temps have been in the 70's and 80's here recently and I have been OC due to the wonderful fall weather.

I will post pics when I get it back so people who consider doing something like this can print them and show them to a tailor.

The Don

She only charged me 35 bucks for the initial " alteration " and another 25 to add the velcro. She did say it was going to take her a couple weeks to get to it which is fine considering temps have been in the 70's and 80's here recently and I have been OC due to the wonderful fall weather.

I will post pics when I get it back so people who consider doing something like this can print them and show them to a tailor.

sweet. thanks.

Shell

Paxton Quigley in her book "Armed and Female" makes a statement that she absolutely does not encourage women to openly carry a gun. When I read that, my reaction was sarcastically "what?! then I'm going to have to move from WI b/c I have no choice here!" But does she have a valid point? Is a weak woman more liable to get her gun wrested away from her holster by a more powerful and determined bad guy who will then turn her own gun against her? This is something that I've considered... The element of surprise in CC could definitely have its benefits.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Paxton Quigley in her book "Armed and Female" makes a statement that she absolutely does not encourage women to openly carry a gun. When I read that, my reaction was sarcastically "what?! then I'm going to have to move from WI b/c I have no choice here!" But does she have a valid point? Is a weak woman more liable to get her gun wrested away from her holster by a more powerful and determined bad guy who will then turn her own gun against her? This is something that I've considered... The element of surprise in CC could definitely have its benefits.

I understand her point, however, a man can be overpowered as well.

hardballer

Carried for some twenty years, many of those concealed, no choice. Constitutional carry would allow choice and would be the ultimate way to go. I prefer open carry and would continue unless situation demanded concealment. Ya never know.

ARADCOM

Washington Stae is so easy!!

Reading this thread just makes me sooo glad that I live in a state where I can OC or CC as I feel fits my day or situation.

Sure, I need a CPL (concealed pistol license) for CC, just renewed it for 5 years for $32 and 15 minutes of my time, OC'ed into the Sheriffs office to do it, and consider it a small price to pay for the convenience.

I can wear a coat or not, get in and out of my car with no concern as to how I'm carrying and just generally go about my business.

I really hope that as we move forward all of you will get to this point or beyond. (Beyond is just carry, no CPL or other hoops to jump thru)