• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry opinion (hypothetical)

Justincase

Hello all,

Just a question if you choose to answer; Given the choice we don't have in WI, open or concealed, with no restriction between the two (licensing, permits, etc.) which would you choose?

Please give me your opinions from both a personal and tactical stand point. Thanks in advance for any insight.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Open or concealed?

I have carried concealed off and on for many years and have only started open carrying daily here in Wisconsin about 2 years ago. Having carried concealed most of my life I thought it was the "only" way to exercise the right. However, after having moved to Wisconsin and delved into open carry I am a much stronger proponent for open carry instead of concealed carry. Besides, usually concealed carry is not a right but a privilege due to licensing requirements except in Vermont, Alaska and Arizona. I firmly believe that we fight for our rights, not privileges and therefore we keep our open carry right and fight for our concealed carry right.

My two cents and welcome to the forum!

Justincase

CCW

I carried CCW for some years and am quite comfortable with it personally. Tactically it adds concealment, removing unneeded attention, and the element of surprise.

You do know that this is OPEN CARRY.org's forum?

Yes, I'm just asking for the consensus opinion, no politics. I am not a CCW advocate at all.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Well, I think I have given the circumstances. So what do you choose?

In what way?

The way I would answer is it depends. For example, if I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt, I would OC. If I was wearing a heavy winter jacket, I would CC. At any other time, I might do both at the same time, depends where I am going, what I'm wearing and what mood I'm in.

Justincase

And i gave you my answer.

Given the choice, open or concealed, with no restriction between the two (licensing, permits, etc.) which would you choose?

It depends on the circumstance to which i would choose.

Thank you, I understand your position.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
Thank you Justincase, I really wasn't trying to give you a hard time I answered as i understood it.. And Doug its right,
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman
You will never achieve consensus here.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Depends. If a bad guy walks into a store to rob the place, sees someone OC'ing, they are more likely to leave without doing something.

However, if a bad guy is in a store and holds it up, you can sneak out your cc weapon and surprise him.

How's that for a non-answer? :banana:

comp45acp

If a bad guy is robbing a store and not threatening me or anyone I love, he probably walks out of the store. Getting involved in something that doesn't threaten you directly is very risky from a legal standpoint. We are not the police. We only stop threats to ourselves or our loved ones. Much could go wrong should you choose to intervene. What if you miss and hit the little girl standing next to him? There are probably a few dozen other things that could go very wrong and make you very liable, or very guilty.

There is a lot of animosity on this forum toward training but this is the type of situation that is discussed in depth in training classes.

As far a how I would carry. I have carried concealed a lot outside of the People's Republic. I have now been open carrying for about 2 years. I have come to actually prefer open carry but there are certainly times where concealed is the preferred method. So, as most everyone has already said, it depends.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Please give me your opinions from both a personal and tactical stand point.

Like most things, it involves a number of trade-offs, weighing the pros and cons of each method. A couple of examples: A draw from open carry is faster because it (usually) eliminates the need to clear clothing out of the way as a separate part of the steps in drawing. Also, with clothing (presumably) out of the way there's less chance of it interfering with the draw. One ought to use a certain amount of forethought into what sort of clothing is worn when concealed. I quickly learned that the inner drawstring of a favorite safari jacket could interfere with a clean draw, so I pulled the string to the far side of the jacket so it wasn't dangling in the way and getting entangled in the draw. Concealment does have the advantage of surprise, which by itself could be a huge factor in some instances. Concealment has an advantage in crowds, although not a complete advantage. Poorly concealed firearms are very noticeable to anyone who has an eye for them. Additionally concealment holsters often lack the retention features of a holster designed for open carry. The concealment is supposed to be a large part of the retention.

Comfort-wise, it depends. For open carry I most often use a duty holster, which is comfortable when standing but not comfortable on long drives and sometimes makes the seat belt lock annoying to manipulate. My inside the waist concealment holster is more comfortable on long drives, but has the drawback of being slower and more difficult to reach while seated in a vehicle. As a compromise, on long drives, such as those I took out West, it may be the one time I opt for a shoulder holster (in addition to a pocket gun, not surprisingly in my jacket or shirt pocket.)

So in your hypothetical situation, where the legality of method is not an issue, I would tend to carry open unless in a large or otherwise questionable crowd, and probably have a secondary firearm in concealment.