• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry age requirement?

RileyE104

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the age requirement is to get a concealed carry license?

I can't find it on Google.. :lol:

rodbender

In Texas it's legal to possess, own, or carry a handgun in your vehicle at 18. You just can't buy one or get a CHL until you are 21. Unless, of course, you are military, then it's 18 except to buy.

Last edited:

KBCraig

In Texas it's legal to possess, own, or carry a handgun in your vehicle at 18. You just can't buy one or get a CHL until you are 21. Unless, of course, you are military, then it's 18 except to buy.

It's legal at 16, actually. There is no age restriction for possession. PC 46.13 makes it illegal to make a "readily dischargeable firearm" (meaning, one that is loaded) to a "child" (meaning someone younger than 17). So, if your teen driver isn't yet 17, they just have to load the gun themselves. Not a problem in my house, where the kids all know how to load their own. ;)

If someone could get a hardship driver's license before the age of 16, they would still be legal to have a loaded handgun in the car.

Last edited: