Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with NEWBIES

Dealing with NEWBIES

We recommend this forum to people who have questions and want to talk with like-minded people. However, we can be pretty harsh when they get here.

I haven't been on this board as long as many people here, but I've noticed people come and go. Some of those leaving weren't here very long. They ask a question like "Can I carry a loaded weapon in my car?" and they get a flame job. Sure, we know the question has been asked and they'd find it if they read through the 258 pages of threads. But they don't know the question has been asked.

I was blasted after my first post for asking a question which brought up an old post. I considered not returning. That isn't the way we want people treated when they are new to the OC way of life. We need to be more considerate.

May I suggest that if a question has been asked for the 1,001st time - post "pm sent" and let the thread die. Then send a pm with the answer or a reference to a former thread. Maybe even tell that person they can contact you with further questions. It could be more of a mentoring moment.

So in summary I'd like to just say, if we're going to bring people in, lets not beat up on them for asking questions we already know the answers to.

My $.02

Thanks.

I agree. Before this forum, I had found another forum that helped with firearm questions about laws and such and I was very put off. As soon as I had mentioned OCing and asked for advice about being asked to leave a store I was flamed with MANY responses telling me that I was stupid and they didn't like the way I carried. After that initial flaming, I decided they weren't worth my time and I haven't been back to their forum.

Remember, you may have seen their post a hundred times and dealt with "newbies" thousands of times, but this is their first time and you're making their first impression. =]
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    We recommend this forum to people who have questions and want to talk with like-minded people. However, we can be pretty harsh when they get here.

I haven't been on this board as long as many people here, but I've noticed people come and go. Some of those leaving weren't here very long. They ask a question like "Can I carry a loaded weapon in my car?" and they get a flame job. Sure, we know the question has been asked and they'd find it if they read through the 258 pages of threads. But they don't know the question has been asked.

I was blasted after my first post for asking a question which brought up an old post. I considered not returning. That isn't the way we want people treated when they are new to the OC way of life. We need to be more considerate.

May I suggest that if a question has been asked for the 1,001st time - post "pm sent" and let the thread die. Then send a pm with the answer or a reference to a former thread. Maybe even tell that person they can contact you with further questions. It could be more of a mentoring moment.

So in summary I'd like to just say, if we're going to bring people in, lets not beat up on them for asking questions we already know the answers to.

My $.02

Thanks.

I have to say "I agree." Including racism, I am not going to say names but I have read something about nuking the Japanese quote"it wouldnt take an invation force to make the japs crap themselfs, just a couple of bombers with some tiny bombs that will make you glow in the dark,,,,"
    Being half Japanese and having served our country for over 10 years and swore an oath to defend our constitution.. Then I run into a racist pig on our site. So many NON WHITE people have defended and died for this country. One of the greatest units in the Army was the 442nd INF . Who were Japanese. Fought the Germans while being prejudiced in the U.S. Died in Europe so an idiot can call racial remarks about a race.
    One more thing...go back to school and learn some grammar.
    This is my safety

+10, Mr. Parramore.
    ________

One of the pleas I make to the folks on my sites is that if a n00b stumbles in and asks an old tired question that you think they should have been able to find the answer to themselves, don't yell at 'em and call 'em stupid - welcome them, make that search you think is so easy, and refer them right to the answer on that older thread.

You will have helped a n00b not be a n00b, and probably made OpenCarry.org a new friend.

It doesn't cost any more to be nice than it does to be nasty...
    ________

Alternatively... http://tijil.org/n00b_stew.gif
    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

• • • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Faciémus!• • •

This forum is not nearly as bad with flamejobs as some other forums I frequent. Some are just downright evil.. especially Mixedmartialarts.com

+1 to the OP

A great reminder. I was treated well when I came along but have seen others not so much. This doesn't only mean here. I am a member of a few forum and actually run one. Take the time to help those along. We should have an Adopt-A-Newbie campaign. Can we vote on it? *ducks and covers*

Excellent!

I think your post is 100% spot on. I almost left the site myself once feeling let down by some of the treatment i had received. However, i also know many more really good folks here too, and alas, those good folks are my reason for staying. I tend to agree, people get a bit puffy and pampas here sometime, and of late I simply equate it to the "nerd rage" that I have often experienced on World of Warcraft. So, to all you excellent helpful polite types.. "THANK YOU"... and to all those that like to "Nerd Rage" behind the keyboard.. well.. suppose I'll see you on WoW too.

- Happy Hunting.... er... Keep America Free ( - Ding! - i think i leveled! - Anyone know where i can get my flying mount? please don't flame me...)

Bat.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    I think your post is 100% spot on. I almost left the site myself once feeling let down by some of the treatment i had received. However, i also know many more really good folks here too, and alas, those good folks are my reason for staying. I tend to agree, people get a bit puffy and pampas here sometime, and of late I simply equate it to the "nerd rage" that I have often experienced on World of Warcraft. So, to all you excellent helpful polite types.. "THANK YOU"... and to all those that like to "Nerd Rage" behind the keyboard.. well.. suppose I'll see you on WoW too.

- Happy Hunting.... er... Keep America Free ( - Ding! - i think i leveled! - Anyone know where i can get my flying mount? please don't flame me...)

Bat.
    OT: Gratz on the level

There's a quest in Archosaur to get your lvl 30 flying mount *Depends on what game you play*

Just let us know when you need your epic flying mount, Bat!

I agree with the OP. If they ask a question that's in the FAQ's, post a link to that thread or post a link to title 9 chapter 41 of the RCW. They'll need to study it in its entirety anyhow so they know what's what.

Just so we have it, here's the link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

While I most certainly agree with the OP that new posters deserve a little more respect, I think it's more of a general interwebz thing than anything unique to us... couple other forums I'm on that have NOTHING to do with firearms are also pretty quick to jump on n00bs about "Use the search box, durnit!"... and they don't have the benefit of sticky FAQS either. I think it's be basic forum etiquette on both sides: newbies should always try the search feature first, and the grizzled old vets should be gentle & polite in reminding them there IS a search
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    I think it's more of a general interwebz thing than anything unique to us...
    I'm only on a few forums, but this is the one I'm most active on. It's also a lot more serious than the other ones. So if it's a www thing, that sucks. We can be different though.

-adopt a newbie -

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    [QUOTE=-adopt a newbie - [/QUOTE]

Okay, Newb! Consider yourself adopted. I ain't gonna support ya though. IRS won't let me claim ya, anyway.
    Last edited by Bookman; 10-12-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

I participate on a couple of forums where the practice is to just mention that it has been discussed before, refer to the post(s) then go ahead and answer again. What harm does it do to revisit?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Newbs can be a pain. I was jumped on after my first post, because nobody gets my sense of humor.

But after a further lengthy seasoning period of learning the ins and outs of this board, say four posts, everyone should be afforded the status of exalted grizzled veteran. And given the keys to the club washroom. No, really, I gotta go.

Your sence of humor

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Bramage View Post
    Newbs can be a pain. I was jumped on after my first post, because nobody gets my sense of humor.

But after a further lengthy seasoning period of learning the ins and outs of this board, say four posts, everyone should be afforded the status of exalted grizzled veteran. And given the keys to the club washroom. No, really, I gotta go.
    Welcome to the forum, my friend. Don't worry about the humor part. Just do not mess with my dancing bananas! Aw, heck, c'mon! I always forget Moe!

Search

Yeah, when I first came I read the FAQ and a bunch of other threads before posting anything. When I do have questions I have found the search button to not be too helpful. I haven't really been able to find anything I searched for even when I know where to look. It's been easier for me to just go to the thread where what I'm looking for is and skim through the pages. I wonder if it would work better to use one of the big name search engines to sift through the info on this site. Anybody done that before?
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

I agree with this, some 'newbies' are internet savy, so they make sure they search for topics etc, they lurk before they post etc.

But for those that are true newbies, we should be easier on these folks..a simple (sent pm/or please use the search function the next time, but here is your info), use it as a teaching tool.

Thought I would chime in and have a barstool thrown at me...nah really..i just joined up to this forum and I just started OP'ing after years of Concealed Carry...actually it is rather refreshing to OC to tell ya the truth and I should've done it years ago...one comment I get from co-workers and family is "Are you nuts?, can you do that"...and I say "Yep, read the rule book kids it's there" ...so hopefully I can open some folks eyes to the great right God has given us in our Society..take it easy fellas

I agree with this. Turning away the new and the curious only creates problems.

Play some halo or modern warfare 2 on xbox live, and all this bickering will be nothing compared to all that crap.

Crack open a can of man.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Quote Originally Posted by mparramore View Post
    I have to say "I agree." Including racism, I am not going to say names but I have read something about nuking the Japanese quote"it wouldnt take an invation force to make the japs crap themselfs, just a couple of bombers with some tiny bombs that will make you glow in the dark,,,,"
    Being half Japanese and having served our country for over 10 years and swore an oath to defend our constitution.. Then I run into a racist pig on our site. So many NON WHITE people have defended and died for this country. One of the greatest units in the Army was the 442nd INF . Who were Japanese. Fought the Germans while being prejudiced in the U.S. Died in Europe so an idiot can call racial remarks about a race.
    One more thing...go back to school and learn some grammar.
    lets make one thing clear about the 442nd Infantry. They weren't japanese, they were American! When the world stops looking at the color of eachothers skin is when there will be peace! Not japanese but Americans, fighting for American Freedom!
    Last edited by dizzle2; 10-12-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenIsFaster View Post
    Play some halo or modern warfare 2 on xbox live, and all this bickering will be nothing compared to all that crap.

Crack open a can of man.
    Playing Halo... you're competing and attacking. On here we're supposed to be untied for a common purpose.
    (I'm sure I didn't need to make that distinction )

Don't get me wrong. I don't want some warm & fuzzy, touchy-feely forum. Just some courtesy for those who come here looking for new information. Treat the new kids as if YOU were the one who referred them here.

aww! do you need a hug there Devildog? LMFAO!!!
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

I already cuddled with my teddy. No one understands me like him.

:P

Question???

When newbies come to the forum and within a month or so, begin behaving badly, calling others names and 'dishing it out'.....then what?
    Live Free or Die!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast