• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is D.C. a Time Bomb Without Carry Capabilities?

Fuller Malarkey

I never in my wildest dreams believed we would live with a threat like this in our country.

This is not meant to be political, but how can anyone with any kind of morals restrict someone's ability to protect themselves from a threat as credible as this?

Daylen

I never in my wildest dreams believed we would live with a threat like this in our country.

This is not meant to be political, but how can anyone with any kind of morals restrict someone's ability to protect themselves from a threat as credible as this?

easy if their morals are far removed from yours.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
D.C., and everywhere else, is a time bomb with or without OC/CC.

This is the sort of situation the police are supposed to protect us from - by finding and arresting the jihadist(s) before they get a chance to blow us up.

It becomes our responsibility to protect ourself (and innocent others if we choose to do so) when the jihadist(s) show up in a dynamite vest.

It's merely a matter of timing.

stay safe.

rodbender

D.C., and everywhere else, is a time bomb with or without OC/CC.

This is the sort of situation the police are supposed to protect us from - by finding and arresting the jihadist(s) before they get a chance to blow us up.

It becomes our responsibility to protect ourself (and innocent others if we choose to do so) when the jihadist(s) show up in a dynamite vest.

It's merely a matter of timing.

stay safe.

I only mentioned D.C. because this may well be a credible threat.

Dreamer

Especially when the people who are supposed to be tasked with protecting us are the ones who supply the dynamite, detonators, timers, construction and deployment of said bomb.

Just ask Edam Salem, the FBI, and the NY DA how THEY played the game on 26 February, 1993...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Especially when the people who are supposed to be tasked with protecting us are the ones who supply the dynamite, detonators, timers, construction and deployment of said bomb.

Just ask Edam Salem, the FBI, and the NY DA how THEY played the game on 26 February, 1993...

FLAG ON THE PLAY!

Unsportsmanlike conduct - placing the blame where it belongs.

15 yard penalty and loss of down. Offending team must write a 500-word essay on why hurting the feelings of our overlords is not nice.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hmm... Definately cause for alarm and an immediate protest of the game to the referees!

Seriously, if they're not allowing carry and someone dies, can you imagine the lawsuit that'll against D.C. the moment anyone dies following this credible threat? What if it's 50 people in a crowded restaurant?

Imagine if 30 of those 50 worked for the federal government. I can see the headlines of folks railing against our government now: "You knew about the credible threat and that D.C. was violating 2A with work-arounds, yet you stood by and did nothing to make right the way for self-defense following Heller..."

This nonsense is starting to remind me of the Heinlein's Puppet-Masters, wherein everyone wore open-topped clothing for quite a while, just to be certain no one was carry bombs, er, aliens.

I seriously think we'll see a ban on bookbags, satchels, laptop cases, purses and bicycle baskets before we'll see the much more appropriate relaxation of D.C.'s gun laws. Despite the clear, and recently up and down correlation of laws and crime stats, their government STILL doesn't get it (or out of shame refuses to admit they were wrong).

BillMCyrus

Hmm... Definately cause for alarm and an immediate protest of the game to the referees!

Seriously, if they're not allowing carry and someone dies, can you imagine the lawsuit that'll against D.C. the moment anyone dies following this credible threat? What if it's 50 people in a crowded restaurant?

Imagine if 30 of those 50 worked for the federal government. I can see the headlines of folks railing against our government now: "You knew about the credible threat and that D.C. was violating 2A with work-arounds, yet you stood by and did nothing to make right the way for self-defense following Heller..."
Uhm...maybe it's just me, but why does it have to be terrorism for this to be the case? Every day common crimes produce the same result. Denial of ability to protect oneself against a violent threat is just as bad if it's a rapist, mugger, or carjacker as it is a political/religious terrorist. Why not the same lawsuit now? DC, Chicago, NYC, NJ, and Maryland routinely deny right to self defense to people and it gets them hurt or killed all the time with the same callous and cold disregard for the individuals' rights and well being. Not only just lawsuits, but criminal charges against those who order and implement policies denying carry rights to individuals.

johnny amish

I have been of the opinion since the start of the Iraq war that things will get much worse in this country, I think the trouble has just begun. Trying to fight the terrorists is like trying to fight a cockroach.

Michigander

Regardless of anyone's political beliefs, I think most can agree that it is easy to see the US as an imperialistic bullying country. It is downright amazing to me that we aren't attacked by international terrorists on a weekly basis. The US has routinely and relentlessly killed a lot of peoples loved ones abroad for controversial reasons for well over a hundred years.

Russia faces lots of bombings from their war victims. It is surprising that oceans have kept us as safe as they have. Certainly there is no shortage of people here illegally.

Daylen

Regardless of anyone's political beliefs, I think most can agree that it is easy to see the US as an imperialistic bullying country. It is downright amazing to me that we aren't attacked by international terrorists on a weekly basis. The US has routinely and relentlessly killed a lot of peoples loved ones abroad for controversial reasons for well over a hundred years.

Look out for when, whomever you are getting that coolaid from, puts cyanide in it.

Michigander

Look out for when, whomever you are getting that coolaid from, puts cyanide in it.

That I am an anti war, peace loving hippie gun owner and carrier does not make me a cult follower, nor does it make me an Obama supporter, if you meant me, eye.

Nor does your apparent unwillingness to understand that wars kill hundreds of thousands of people who have families, who will subsequently become angry, reflect well on your mindset about the meaning of violence. That is truly a concept everyone from all political perspectives should be able to understand.

Last edited:

eye95

War is not something that can be stopped by putting a daisy in a rifle.

In order to avoid war, everyone has to decide not to wage war. Guess what? That ain't gonna happen.

So, you prepare. And, when war is made on you, you make war back.

Kinda the same theory as carrying a gun and being prepared to use it--just on a larger scale.

Moving on. I really don't expect your ideas will change. I'm just hoping to sway other folks into more rational mature line of thinking about the realities of war and peace.

Last edited:

Michigander

I am not and never will be a flower power sort. I don't know why you would make those inferences, they really don't make sense. Certainly not all hippies of the vietnam era bought into that crap.

War happens, it is probably a law of physics that holds true among other semi advanced species around the universe. But it certainly isn't the sort of thing that anyone who is sane should go around feeling okay about. And it feeds directly into retaliatory terrorism, which I would also infer is probably a law of physics for planet walking creatures of moderate intelligence.

As I said before, these are things that all people from all sides should be able to understand. Buying into war propaganda, or at least saying oh well, nothing I can do, THEN saying "OH MY GOD!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY HATE US!!! WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS!!! It's ignorant, no matter who you are, or what your political beliefs are. Wars piss of their victims. I am not attempting to challenge anyones beliefs about which wars are good and which are bad, that is an individual opinion issue. I am merely making the point that when you or someone who associates with you, like our presidents, sets out to kill people in another country, particularly for extended periods and in with large body counts, it would be prudent to realize that it will anger people who may end up wanting you dead in exchange for their lost family members and friends.

That said, I'm not really so sure that our opinions on violence are very different. Perhaps it's just that we come to the similar conclusions, but for different reasons. That you advocate retaliatory wars and didn't mention imperialistic ventures, at least in theory suggests that we may think similarly, even if not when it boils down to specifics.

Last edited: