• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Holsters

BRAND0N

I'm curious to what everyone is using on a daily basis,What others thoughts are and concerns.

Examples: belt holster, hip holster(clip-on) thigh holster(leg-drop) shoulder holster.

I have three different holsters and can't seem to stay with just one. At work I wear a "through the belt" 4 retention as I work with large crowds but due to concerns of mistaken CC When OC-ing I like to wear my leg drop with auto lock just to be on the safer side.

Which to you use, why? And any thoughts or concerns f other types.

J.Gleason

Banned
Well Brandon, there is only one thing I would like to say on this. No matter what type of holster you choose to wear, always remember to be aware of your surroundings anytime you are carrying your firearm.

As we have seen in the past, if a criminal wants to get your weapon, they will. I.E. the man in Milwaukee who had a criminal sneak up on him and put a gun to his head and demand he hand over the firearm.

Even the serpa's, although very nice in quality, have been around long enough for criminals to figure out how the retention works.

Rule# 1 - always be aware of your surroundings.
Rule#2 - See Rule # 1

Viper

I fully agree with Gleason. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. Look everyone you see in the eye. Make sure they know you see 'em.

Back to the OP, I use the Serpa on the belt in the summer or using a light jacket. I add the Blackhawk thigh platform when I wear the heavier winter coat.

BRAND0N

Well Brandon, there is only one thing I would like to say on this. No matter what type of holster you choose to wear, always remember to be aware of your surroundings anytime you are carrying your firearm.

As we have seen in the past, if a criminal wants to get your weapon, they will.

Thanks you for the tip, I am always aware of my surrounding. I work for a private security firm and have hand different types of training.

Also

CKM

Quick question for those of you using Serpas. Can you hit the release mechanism and safely draw the handgun using only your off hand?

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Blackhawk Serpa On Right Hand Side

I also have a Desanti holster and a Bianchi holster I occasionally wear but usually stick with the Blackhawk for retention.

I cannot draw my firearm with my left hand from the Serpa holster. I CAN draw my firearm with my left hand from my Bianchi holster.

Interesting question there. I had not thought about losing the loss of my right arm while the firearm was still in the holster.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Quick question for those of you using Serpas. Can you hit the release mechanism and safely draw the handgun using only your off hand?

It's not an issue specific to Serpa holsters. Any type of holster, depending upon where it is positioned on the belt, can be difficult to draw from with the opposite hand. Body type and flexibility vary among individuals also and make a difference. It is wise for each individual to find out whether they can make an opposite hand draw well in advance of finding out at "a bad time" that it cannot be done, or not easily done.

The problems associated with opposite hand draws contributed to my past fondness for cross-draw carry. However as I stated above, with experimentation one can make the necessary adjustments and practice drills to assure that the firearm is accessible to either hand.

To answer the original question, I primarily OC with Safariland 6320 ALS duty holsters. In my opinion the Serpa is a good holster, and the minimum I recommend for OC. I have several of them, although mostly they are used for concealed carry or at the range now. I also have a left hand model for those times I want to draw left-handed. Considering the left-handed carry represents such a small percentage of my time it didn't justify to me the expense of buying additional lefty Safariland holsters.

The retention release button on the Serpa is a little too obvious and accessible to others for my tastes. Serpas seem relatively strong and rugged. Not sure they would hold up to a violent struggle of a gun grab, but that's why gun retention techniques have been developed.

The strongest holster is no better than the strength of the belt it is on.

Paddle holsters can often be pulled right out of the pants during a struggle, so I'm not big on them for OC.

So, speaking of things such as opposite hand draws... how many revolver carriers can do left-hand only (one-handed) reloads? Or have even tried?

Krusty

Desantis

I just got a Desantis Mini Slide leather holster for my XDm .45 I just prefer leather over plastic and it was very hard to find something that was actually in stock.

And straying from subject a little, .380 Auto that has been difficult to locate was in good supply at WalMart, Onalaska at midnight Friday Night (14th).