• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving into GA from AL

eye95

I have an AL CPL and will be OCing in my truck into GA tomorrow.

Any obscure gun laws in GA I may run afoul of?

Thanks in advance.

Fallschirjmäger

No "public gathering" law anymore, so that's one thing you won't have to worry about ever again.

Don't refuse to leave anywhere if asked, or it's criminal trespass (but that's pretty much universal, I guess.)
Actually, I think we're pretty good now compared to only a few years ago.
OC or CC requires a permit; don't leave home without it.

No carry areas include - -
* In a government building
* In a courthouse
* In a place of worship
* In a state mental health facility
* In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons by license holders
* On the premises of a nuclear power facility
* Within 150 feet of any polling place
* In any school building or on school grounds

Last edited:

eye95

Thanks.

Just a few more quick questions:

Did I see something about carry in a vehicle being in plain sight or in a glove box? If so, what about holstered? Does open carry in a holster constitute "plain sight"?

Kingfish

Absolutely nowhere in the law does it dictate how one must carry...In vehicle or on ones person.

Carry how you wish.

This is of course assuming you have a valid license/permit honored by GA or you are using YOUR vehicle....No non-resident carry unless you own the car (which of course you do.)

Last edited:

aadvark

eye95:

Alabama and Georgia are opposites.

In Georgia..., one needs a Georgia Weapons Carry License to Openly Carry a Handgun while in Public, as defined under 16-11-125.1, however; one does NOT need a Georgia Weapons Carry License to Carry a Handgun in or on a Motor Vehicle, in accordance to what KingFish said.

In Alabama, however, one needs a Pistol Permit to have a Pistol, as defined under Alabama Code 1975 13A-11-70, in a Motor Vehicle, BUT no Pistol Permit is needed to Openly Carry a Pistol while in Public OR any Public Place.

aadvark

Last edited:

eye95

Thanks, guys.

I actually got the opportunity to educate a Georgian on OC. The guy who helped me inspect my new trailer asked about my rather obvious 1911. I told him that OC was lawful in GA, but referred him to OCDO for details. (I am not familiar enough with GA law to give out detailed advice.)

Kingfish

Do they put up signs, or how does one know where & how far away polling places are?
And is this only on election day, or is the law in effect every other day, too? (Which would be silly, but laws don't always make sense.)

A polling place would only be a polling place when the polls are open.

Signs...Yeah, there will be plenty of signs on election days.

"No person may campaign; distribute literature of written or printed matter of any kind; wear campaign buttons, signs, pins, stickers, T-shirts, etc.; circulate petitions; or perform similar activities within 150 feet of the building in which a polling place is located."

Stay outside the area the campaign workers are holding signs and you should be fine.

Parking lots are not off limits for any "unauthorized location" (except nuclear power facilities) as long as the firearm does not leave the vehicle.