Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treadquarters on Mercury in Hampton

Treadquarters on Mercury in Hampton

So I needed some new tires and a state inspection. I called treadquarters yesterday. They had two of the tires I wanted, and could have the other two in the next day (today). I got a call that they were in so I drove on over. Right after I walk in I'm asked if I'm "on duty". Uh, no? He said that he respects my gun rights but customers complain about people carrying, that he has the right to make rules (no argument there) and asked me to lock it in my car. I said "but my car will be in there", pointing to the garage. He said he knows, none of his guys will touch it... Yeah, this sounds like a brilliant idea, obviously that's unacceptable. I told him no thanks, I'll just go somewhere else then. He said I could also stand outside instead, and kept emphasizing that he has the right to not allow people to carry. I told him he absolutely has that right... just like I have the right not to buy from him if I'm not welcome. He told me I'm not being asked to leave, I just can't be armed. I once again told him I will go somewhere else instead and walked out. He seemed to be in disbelief that anyone would actually leave instead of complying with what I'm sure he saw as a completely reasonable request. So anyways, avoid Treadquarters on Mercury. I do wonder if its a corporate policy. He has obviously dealt with OC'ers before. I'll be sure to mail them my receipt from wherever I end up going instead... Anyone have any recommendations?
    Last edited by mpg9999; 10-12-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Damn Well Done!!!!

Great job!
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Founder's Club Member
    That is exactly what the businessman needs to see: People walking away to spend their money elsewhere if they aren't accomodated in the same fashion as anyone else who would chose to give them their business.

It's almost like you were contagious, with a deadly disease or something.

What if the customer had AIDS? What would he do then?

At least you stood up for yourself -- you represent the virtue of Virginia gun owners quire well.

Nice.

I had no trouble OCing in the Sears auto center off of Jefferson near Cracker Barrel a few months ago.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by mpg9999 View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations?

Check out Able Auto. It's probably farther than you would like to drive, but, in my opinion, it would be worth the time. I've OC'd into their shop several times. A while back, I had an extended conversation with Jeff, the lead mechanic/manager, about firearms and gun rights. From what I recall, Jeff is an active member in a local shooting club (I forget the name). And, in their waiting area, they have VCDL brochures/applications displayed conspicuously.

As for the quality of their work, I have never been disappointed. They are as honest as the day is long, and the prices are very competitive. There is a certain peace of mind that comes with having a dependable auto mechanic, and they definitely fit the bill.

Able Auto Service
    736 S Military Hwy
    Virginia Beach, VA 23464-1822
    (757) 523-0020

Thumbs up

Good job, thats what I would have done, and why would you LOCK up your gun in your car, you CANT get to it if you NEEDED IT. I wouldnt trust no one.

Wait out side ?? lol??

If you're a memeber of BJ's they don't have a problem with oc either.Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by kimbercarrier; 10-12-2010 at 10:13 PM.

I would've done the same thing... bravo.

So I needed some new tires and a state inspection. I called treadquarters yesterday. They had two of the tires I wanted, and could have the other two in the next day (today). I got a call that they were in so I drove on over. Right after I walk in I'm asked if I'm "on duty". Uh, no? He said that he respects my gun rights but customers complain about people carrying, that he has the right to make rules (no argument there) ... Anyone have any recommendations?
    If several of his white customers were to complain about the presence of black people, would he say to the black people: "I respect your civil rights, and I know you have every right to be here, but I have to ask you to leave, because some of my customers are complaining, and I have the right to make the rules."

Neither OCers nor black people should be asked to surrender their Constitutionally guaranteed rights merely because the exercise of those rights makes some people uncomfortable.

"The gun stays with my wallet. Do you want it to go somewhere else or do you want to make some money today?"

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    If several of his white customers were to complain about the presence of black people, would he say to the black people: "I respect your civil rights, and I know you have every right to be here, but I have to ask you to leave, because some of my customers are complaining, and I have the right to make the rules."

Neither OCers nor black people should be asked to surrender their Constitutionally guaranteed rights merely because the exercise of those rights makes some people uncomfortable.
    And it is those exact rules governing a public place of business that have caused me to change my mind about the right of this class of property owners to deny us entry.

I used to co-mingle my private property rights with theirs, but as I stated, under existing law they are a different class of property owner.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    "The gun stays with my wallet. Do you want it to go somewhere else or do you want to make some money today?"

TFred
    Best response I've ever heard!

Charlottesville / Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA

Cool

Very well done!

Thumbs up

I've had plenty of success over the years with Merchants/Firestone. I am a big fan of Firestone and Bridgestone tires. As a past customer already in their "system" they tend to cut me a good deal, sometimes better than I could get comparable BFGs at BJs over the years.

They've never said a word about my sidearm.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Bravo! Well Done.
    The difference in between being a citizen and a subject is the right to keep and bear arms.

Sic Semper Tyrannus

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Without a doubt, send him a copy of the receipt.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

He does NOT have the right to make the rules contrary to the federal civil rights laws without incurring major potential liability - see protected classes. OCers are NOT a protected class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

I know it is wikipedia but it was quick and convenient.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    He does NOT have the right to make the rules contrary to the federal civil rights laws without incurring major potential liability - see protected classes. OCers are NOT a protected class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

I know it is wikipedia but it was quick and convenient.
    ... which brings us to the storeowner's worst nightmare: A OCing handicapped black customer, who is an Army veteran, and who has partially completed a gender reassignment process.

"All classes are equal, but some are more equal than others."
    Last edited by USNA69; 10-13-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    ... which brings us to the storeowner's worst nightmare: A OCing handicapped black customer, who is an Army veteran, and who has partially completed a gender reassignment process.

"All classes are equal, but some are more equal than others."
    Why is that?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Why is that?
    Because there are reprehensible federal laws which say so, that's why.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

lessons from history

He does NOT have the right to make the rules contrary to the federal civil rights laws without incurring major potential liability.
    But let's not forget that protected classes lacked such status until enough people took up the cause and it became so through the courts and legislation. It may stretch one's imagination that those OC might become a protected class, but 50 years ago how did most black citizens react when asked to leave an establishment because "our customers are complaining?"

I do not think it all inappropriate to challenge a business owner or manager with this metaphor.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedBarrister View Post
    Check out Able Auto. It's probably farther than you would like to drive, but, in my opinion, it would be worth the time. I've OC'd into their shop several times. A while back, I had an extended conversation with Jeff, the lead mechanic/manager, about firearms and gun rights. From what I recall, Jeff is an active member in a local shooting club (I forget the name). And, in their waiting area, they have VCDL brochures/applications displayed conspicuously.

As for the quality of their work, I have never been disappointed. They are as honest as the day is long, and the prices are very competitive. There is a certain peace of mind that comes with having a dependable auto mechanic, and they definitely fit the bill.

Able Auto Service
    736 S Military Hwy
    Virginia Beach, VA 23464-1822
    (757) 523-0020
    Thanks, I ended up going here and I have no complaints. Jeff was real nice and we chatted about guns for a little bit while I was paying.

Thanks, I ended up going here and I have no complaints. Jeff was real nice and we chatted about guns for a little bit while I was paying.
    You're welcome! I'm glad it worked out for you. They have treated me very well for the past three years, so I'm always happy to recommend their services to others.

Just curious, do you still plan on sending a copy of your receipt to TreadQuarters?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast