• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Treadquarters on Mercury in Hampton

mpg9999

So I needed some new tires and a state inspection. I called treadquarters yesterday. They had two of the tires I wanted, and could have the other two in the next day (today). I got a call that they were in so I drove on over. Right after I walk in I'm asked if I'm "on duty". Uh, no? He said that he respects my gun rights but customers complain about people carrying, that he has the right to make rules (no argument there) and asked me to lock it in my car. I said "but my car will be in there", pointing to the garage. He said he knows, none of his guys will touch it... Yeah, this sounds like a brilliant idea, obviously that's unacceptable. I told him no thanks, I'll just go somewhere else then. He said I could also stand outside instead, and kept emphasizing that he has the right to not allow people to carry. I told him he absolutely has that right... just like I have the right not to buy from him if I'm not welcome. He told me I'm not being asked to leave, I just can't be armed. I once again told him I will go somewhere else instead and walked out. He seemed to be in disbelief that anyone would actually leave instead of complying with what I'm sure he saw as a completely reasonable request. So anyways, avoid Treadquarters on Mercury. I do wonder if its a corporate policy. He has obviously dealt with OC'ers before. I'll be sure to mail them my receipt from wherever I end up going instead... Anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
That is exactly what the businessman needs to see: People walking away to spend their money elsewhere if they aren't accomodated in the same fashion as anyone else who would chose to give them their business.

Repeater

It's almost like you were contagious, with a deadly disease or something.

What if the customer had AIDS? What would he do then?

At least you stood up for yourself -- you represent the virtue of Virginia gun owners quire well.

t33j

Nice.

I had no trouble OCing in the Sears auto center off of Jefferson near Cracker Barrel a few months ago.

ArmedBarrister

Anyone have any recommendations?

Check out Able Auto. It's probably farther than you would like to drive, but, in my opinion, it would be worth the time. I've OC'd into their shop several times. A while back, I had an extended conversation with Jeff, the lead mechanic/manager, about firearms and gun rights. From what I recall, Jeff is an active member in a local shooting club (I forget the name). And, in their waiting area, they have VCDL brochures/applications displayed conspicuously.

As for the quality of their work, I have never been disappointed. They are as honest as the day is long, and the prices are very competitive. There is a certain peace of mind that comes with having a dependable auto mechanic, and they definitely fit the bill.

Able Auto Service
736 S Military Hwy
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-1822
(757) 523-0020

USNA69

So I needed some new tires and a state inspection. I called treadquarters yesterday. They had two of the tires I wanted, and could have the other two in the next day (today). I got a call that they were in so I drove on over. Right after I walk in I'm asked if I'm "on duty". Uh, no? He said that he respects my gun rights but customers complain about people carrying, that he has the right to make rules (no argument there) ... Anyone have any recommendations?

If several of his white customers were to complain about the presence of black people, would he say to the black people: "I respect your civil rights, and I know you have every right to be here, but I have to ask you to leave, because some of my customers are complaining, and I have the right to make the rules."

Neither OCers nor black people should be asked to surrender their Constitutionally guaranteed rights merely because the exercise of those rights makes some people uncomfortable.

Glock27Bill

If several of his white customers were to complain about the presence of black people, would he say to the black people: "I respect your civil rights, and I know you have every right to be here, but I have to ask you to leave, because some of my customers are complaining, and I have the right to make the rules."

Neither OCers nor black people should be asked to surrender their Constitutionally guaranteed rights merely because the exercise of those rights makes some people uncomfortable.

And it is those exact rules governing a public place of business that have caused me to change my mind about the right of this class of property owners to deny us entry.

I used to co-mingle my private property rights with theirs, but as I stated, under existing law they are a different class of property owner.

wylde007

I've had plenty of success over the years with Merchants/Firestone. I am a big fan of Firestone and Bridgestone tires. As a past customer already in their "system" they tend to cut me a good deal, sometimes better than I could get comparable BFGs at BJs over the years.

They've never said a word about my sidearm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

He does NOT have the right to make the rules contrary to the federal civil rights laws without incurring major potential liability - see protected classes. OCers are NOT a protected class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

I know it is wikipedia but it was quick and convenient.

USNA69

He does NOT have the right to make the rules contrary to the federal civil rights laws without incurring major potential liability - see protected classes. OCers are NOT a protected class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

I know it is wikipedia but it was quick and convenient.

... which brings us to the storeowner's worst nightmare: A OCing handicapped black customer, who is an Army veteran, and who has partially completed a gender reassignment process.

"All classes are equal, but some are more equal than others."

Last edited: