Thread: is all of downtown OK to carry?

Question is all of downtown OK to carry?

Thinking about Pot Bellies, but down the street is a school. Anyone know if Pot Bellies is OC friendly and if it is legal? It is next to Caribou Coffee.

Carry wherever you please, just watch out for those criminal enhancing zones. No idea if Pot Bellies is okay to carry, but I'd just go and do my normal business unless they have a sign or ask you to leave. I think Caribou Coffee is against the 2A, but not sure.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Carry wherever you please, just watch out for those criminal enhancing zones. No idea if Pot Bellies is okay to carry, but I'd just go and do my normal business unless they have a sign or ask you to leave. I think Caribou Coffee is against the 2A, but not sure.
    What is meant by against the 2A? Am I right in believing this is a statute or exemption you are quoting?

Quote Originally Posted by Terkeytoes View Post
    What is meant by against the 2A? Am I right in believing this is a statute or exemption you are quoting?
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe they have a policy that prohibits people from exercising their 2A rights while in their businesses.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

2A

Am I wrong in assuming 2A means 2nd amendment??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terkeytoes View Post
    What he means to say STUFF REMOVED FOR THE USUAL REASON is that individual businesses have the right to exclude you from entering the premises and conducting business if you are OCing.

Even if there is no sign on the door if the counter person or floor sweeper tells you that you are not welcome, leave immediately. report back here and maybe someone will instigate a letter writing campaign or some other action but realize that it is up to the owner to accept your presence or not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspeed68 View Post
    Am I wrong in assuming 2A means 2nd amendment??
    Welcome to the forum and yes that is what he means.

In reality we have a better claim to carry in article 1 Section 25 of the WI Constitution but see my post above for the private property exclusion...

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Passive101 View Post
    Thinking about Pot Bellies, but down the street is a school. Anyone know if Pot Bellies is OC friendly and if it is legal? It is next to Caribou Coffee.
    I'm gonna ask a dumb question. Downtown where?

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    I was on my phone and thought I entered the city. That was my fault. Lake Geneva.

We did not carry in Holihans where we ate, but carried while window shopping, and by the lake and pier. We had no police interaction.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Houlihans serves liquor so you would need permission from the manager to carry in there. As for Pot Bellies and Caribou, as long as it isn't posted and doesn't serve alcohol it should be OK to go in but as Spartacus said, if you are asked to leave, get the person's name and do so immediately then report here so appropriate research/pressure can be brought to bear.

Oc in Lake Geneva at the fair and water show. One man shouted out "hey open carry" and got my attention. We had a 10 minute conversation about WI law and was a great friendly encounter. Now to disarm to eat at Popeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Not dumb at all.