• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are most LEO's as indifferent to OC'ing as Madison PD?

Terkeytoes

I am just curious if the actions of the Madison Police Department reflect the LEO norm or do most LEO's know and understand that Open Carrying is legal and just OC'ing doesnt require a SWAT team?

Are most officers calm, cool, collected, and educated regarding this?

Spartacus

Banned
In La Crosse county when a concerned citizen calls police dispatch for a Man With a Gun concern the dispatcher has learned to question the caller and inform them that there is no law being broken if the gun is holstered and the OCer is simply going about his or her business.

IDK about other areas though but I think all counties are becoming more educated.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I am just curious if the actions of the Madison Police Department reflect the LEO norm or do most LEO's know and understand that Open Carrying is legal and just OC'ing doesnt require a SWAT team?

Until I ran into my friends from Madison, I had never even been approached by a LEO. I generally hang out in Walworth County, specifically Elkhorn and Delavan.

M

McX

NOt that i noticed.

protias

IIRC, Waukesha County has trained their operators to inform callers that OC is legal.

I remember hearing one time I was out with my father and I could hear a lady give my description over the phone. We were there for 25 minutes and no police showed up.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Its really just a few pockets of ignorance (or petulance) like in Madison.

We were shocked to see this response from the Madison PD because ALL over the state thousands of people are OC'ing every day and the police departments have trained their dispatchers and officers as to its legality.

Madison, which has been described as the "Berkeley California of the Midwest" seems to want to ignore state law, state and federal constitutions, and enforce what they think the law should be, not what the law really is.

M

McX

Its really just a few pockets of ignorance (or petulance) like in Madison.

We were shocked to see this response from the Madison PD because ALL over the state thousands of people are OC'ing every day and the police departments have trained their dispatchers and officers as to its legality.

Madison, which has been described as the "Berkeley California of the Midwest" seems to want to ignore state law, state and federal constitutions, and enforce what they think the law should be, not what the law really is.

Berkley of wisconsin?! I knew it, damn hippies!