Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife thinks i have a problem

Wife thinks i have a problem

Looking for your opinion. Wife thinks i have a problem because I dont want to be with out my gun at the hospital when our child is born. To tell you the truth I have only not had my gun with-in arms reach once since I bought it. I left it home this last weekend while i went to bucks game and out to drink. Other than my wifes wishes do you think I have a problem?

P.S. doing this thread was her idea (edit)
    Last edited by Shane28; 10-12-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Congratulations on your impending joyous occasion.

My daughter was born 32 years ago and before legal carry in South Carolina. That said, I had to wear a surgical gown in order to help deliver her, kind'a obviating being armed. Now, by statute, hospitals are gun free zones despite being DOWNtown.

Brag: now she is a practicing Doctor of Pharmacy in Makawow, Maui County, Hawaii

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
    I have yet to OC (haven't found the gun for me yet), but do understand exactly where you are coming from.

When I am around home, I have my gun near me. Out in public I feel rather unprotected.

Anyhoo - Being a mom I must say that depending on how she feels about your carrying as a whole, if she detests it then I would cave in on this one. Having a baby is stressful enough and if she is worrying about you and the possible distraction of an interaction with staff, etc it will take away from the experience.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry that this wasn't what you probably wanted to hear, but in the long run it may be the best decision.

Good Luck with what you decide.

under what 941.235 Public buildings Im going to Auora is privatly owned?

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    To my knowledge, hospitals are NOT gun free zones in WI. If I am incorrect, please cite for me Doug.

Now, IF it was me, I'd probably leave the firearm out, so I could concentrate 100% on the wife and the baby.

Do I think you have a problem, no, just a wife that is about to have her entire life change overnight.

I will carry an empty holster till after the actual birth than I will go and put it on.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bnhcomputing View Post
    To my knowledge, hospitals are NOT gun free zones in WI. If I am incorrect, please cite for me Doug.
    NOT that I know. Be careful. This is a joyous occasion that transcends, and will echo long after, political squabbles. Rejoice in this affirmation of faith and the future.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane28 View Post
    Looking for your opinion. Wife thinks i have a problem because I dont want to be with out my gun at the hospital when our child is born. To tell you the truth I have only not had my gun with-in arms reach once since I bought it. I left it home this last weekend while i went to bucks game and out to drink. Other than my wifes wishes do you think I have a problem?

P.S. doing this thread was her idea (edit)
    Yah you got a problem. Leave your frickin gun at home when you have a baby unless you are worried that the medical staff might steal it or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

Most hospitals disallow firearms anyway so your question is probably a moot point.

Good Lord what have we done?

I'm normally all-for carry, but I don't think I would here for two reasons.

1. It appears that this is something your wife cares deeply about, and you should probably yield so the day/event will be less stressful for her.

2. It may be legal, but we all know that doesn't mean you won't have issues with Law Enforcement. It's simply not worth the risk of missing your child's birth IMO (and yours I'm sure).

However, that being said, it's always a risk. I just look at multiple possibilities, and the risk of missing your child's birth seems much higher than the risk of needing your weapon in the hospital.

Yeah... Compromise here. It's not asking a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Yah you got a problem. Leave your frickin gun at home when you have a baby unless you are worried that the medical staff might steal it or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

Most hospitals disallow firearms anyway so your question is probably a moot point.

Good Lord what have we done?
    I'm sorry...am I unaware of some magical force field around hospitals that keeps BGs out?

Let's try replacing a few words here:

Leave your frickin gun at home when you go to the store unless you are worried that the grocery staff might attack you or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

Leave your frickin gun at home when you take a business trip unless you are worried that some BG might attack you or Osama bin Laden is the attending.
    I think it's pretty well accepted that we never know if/when we will need a weapon. If we did, why would we carry at all?

bhancock
    Shane, I don't think you have a problem, there is a lot on your plate right now and there is no doubt stress makes a person feel more vulnerable than usual. There are times when sensitivity to a situation will make me decide not to carry and during those times I know that my options for self defense will be less. You may opt to have the gun packed in the suitcase in case all hairy carry should break out, it could still be an option. For the lesser threats you may be able to outwit and outplay.

I don't think the sensationalism of Osama being the attending or kidnapping would top my list of real threats that are possible in a hospital situation. That is just an inflammatory insult to your intelligence. I would be more concerned about a psychotic patient or maybe a disgruntled worker returning to take revenge. Sometimes the emergency departments are located close or within proximity of the regular patient wards. For the sake of security and so you can concentrate on Mom and baby, know ahead of time where you will be, where the exits are, waiting areas, stairwells, and just the general layout of the facility.

I know of at least one member here that carries at Gundersen in LaCrosse with no problems to date. I considered it as well for pt but I really felt that various exercise equipment didn't offer good safe muzzle control.

Many Blessings at this great time of your lives.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I'm sorry...am I unaware of some magical force field around hospitals that keeps BGs out?
    Yah its called private property law and applies to hospitals or any other businesses such as you mentioned that disallow firearms.

Push your way into a place that doesn't want you and be arrested for criminal trespass...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post

I know of at least one member here that carries at Gundersen in LaCrosse with no problems to date. I considered it as well for pt but I really felt that various exercise equipment didn't offer good safe muzzle control.
    Good luck having a baby while armed.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 10-12-2010 at 10:25 PM.

bhancock
    Yah its called private property law and applies to hospitals or any other businesses such as you mentioned that disallow firearms.

Push your way into a place that doesn't want you and be arrested for criminal trespass...
    You should try reading your posts out loud to yourself a couple times before you push the Submit Reply button. Just a thought.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post

Let's try replacing a few words here:

Leave your frickin gun at home when you go to the store unless you are worried that the grocery staff might attack you or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

Leave your frickin gun at home when you take a business trip unless you are worried that some BG might attack you or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

I think it's pretty well accepted that we never know if/when we will need a weapon. If we did, why would we carry at all?
    I just wanted to archive your goofyness for posterity so I quoted your full text.

bhancock
    Its Gunderson Lutheran not Gundersen unless you are Swedish and good luck having a baby while armed.
    No sir, like I said, think a little before you post.
    http://www.gundluth.org/

Banned
    You should try reading your posts out loud to yourself a couple times before you push the Submit Reply button. Just a thought.
    Why? What was incorrect in my reply?

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    You said it wasn't Gundersen. It is. http://www.gundluth.org/

Citation please? I know that I have OC'ed at Aurora Lakeland in Elkhorn and that there are no signs at either Lakeland or Aurora Burlington.

Oh big surprise, look who is involved in derailing another thread.

bhancock
    For the sake of civility, unless you are less intelligent than I assume, know he was talking about another type of BG, that might intend to inflict mass damage to the persons within the hospital. Without any evidence that the facility in question bans firearms, you argue that he would be the BG by his criminal trespass, which at this point isn't even established.

In my opinion a person should try to hear how the words will be received by the recipient to provide good communication and not unnecessarily provoke said person.
    Last edited by bhancock; 10-12-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo

Banned
    No sir, like I said, think a little before you post.
    http://www.gundluth.org/
    You got me... Ouch that hurts...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Citation please? I know that I have OC'ed at Aurora Lakeland in Elkhorn and that there are no signs at either Lakeland or Aurora Burlington.
    They don't have to have signs. Most hospitals disallow ANY weapons for the protection of staff.

They don't have to have signs. Most hospitals disallow ANY weapons for the protection of staff.
    Citation please. Once again. Every hospital I have been to since I have started OC'ing has had zero issue.

Keep making generalizations.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast