• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wife thinks i have a problem

Shane28

Looking for your opinion. Wife thinks i have a problem because I dont want to be with out my gun at the hospital when our child is born. To tell you the truth I have only not had my gun with-in arms reach once since I bought it. I left it home this last weekend while i went to bucks game and out to drink. Other than my wifes wishes do you think I have a problem?

P.S. doing this thread was her idea (edit)

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Congratulations on your impending joyous occasion.

My daughter was born 32 years ago and before legal carry in South Carolina. That said, I had to wear a surgical gown in order to help deliver her, kind'a obviating being armed. Now, by statute, hospitals are gun free zones despite being DOWNtown.

Brag: now she is a practicing Doctor of Pharmacy in Makawow, Maui County, Hawaii

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
I have yet to OC (haven't found the gun for me yet), but do understand exactly where you are coming from.

When I am around home, I have my gun near me. Out in public I feel rather unprotected.

Anyhoo - Being a mom I must say that depending on how she feels about your carrying as a whole, if she detests it then I would cave in on this one. Having a baby is stressful enough and if she is worrying about you and the possible distraction of an interaction with staff, etc it will take away from the experience.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry that this wasn't what you probably wanted to hear, but in the long run it may be the best decision.

Good Luck with what you decide.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
To my knowledge, hospitals are NOT gun free zones in WI. If I am incorrect, please cite for me Doug.

Now, IF it was me, I'd probably leave the firearm out, so I could concentrate 100% on the wife and the baby.

Do I think you have a problem, no, just a wife that is about to have her entire life change overnight.

Shane28

I will carry an empty holster till after the actual birth than I will go and put it on.

Spartacus

Banned
Looking for your opinion. Wife thinks i have a problem because I dont want to be with out my gun at the hospital when our child is born. To tell you the truth I have only not had my gun with-in arms reach once since I bought it. I left it home this last weekend while i went to bucks game and out to drink. Other than my wifes wishes do you think I have a problem?

P.S. doing this thread was her idea (edit)

Yah you got a problem. Leave your frickin gun at home when you have a baby unless you are worried that the medical staff might steal it or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

Most hospitals disallow firearms anyway so your question is probably a moot point.

Good Lord what have we done?

sultan62

I'm normally all-for carry, but I don't think I would here for two reasons.

1. It appears that this is something your wife cares deeply about, and you should probably yield so the day/event will be less stressful for her.

2. It may be legal, but we all know that doesn't mean you won't have issues with Law Enforcement. It's simply not worth the risk of missing your child's birth IMO (and yours I'm sure).

However, that being said, it's always a risk. I just look at multiple possibilities, and the risk of missing your child's birth seems much higher than the risk of needing your weapon in the hospital.

sultan62

Yah you got a problem. Leave your frickin gun at home when you have a baby unless you are worried that the medical staff might steal it or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

Most hospitals disallow firearms anyway so your question is probably a moot point.

Good Lord what have we done?

I'm sorry...am I unaware of some magical force field around hospitals that keeps BGs out?

Let's try replacing a few words here:

Leave your frickin gun at home when you go to the store unless you are worried that the grocery staff might attack you or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

Leave your frickin gun at home when you take a business trip unless you are worried that some BG might attack you or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

I think it's pretty well accepted that we never know if/when we will need a weapon. If we did, why would we carry at all?

B

bhancock

Shane, I don't think you have a problem, there is a lot on your plate right now and there is no doubt stress makes a person feel more vulnerable than usual. There are times when sensitivity to a situation will make me decide not to carry and during those times I know that my options for self defense will be less. You may opt to have the gun packed in the suitcase in case all hairy carry should break out, it could still be an option. For the lesser threats you may be able to outwit and outplay.

I don't think the sensationalism of Osama being the attending or kidnapping would top my list of real threats that are possible in a hospital situation. That is just an inflammatory insult to your intelligence. I would be more concerned about a psychotic patient or maybe a disgruntled worker returning to take revenge. Sometimes the emergency departments are located close or within proximity of the regular patient wards. For the sake of security and so you can concentrate on Mom and baby, know ahead of time where you will be, where the exits are, waiting areas, stairwells, and just the general layout of the facility.

I know of at least one member here that carries at Gundersen in LaCrosse with no problems to date. I considered it as well for pt but I really felt that various exercise equipment didn't offer good safe muzzle control.

Many Blessings at this great time of your lives.

Spartacus

Banned
I'm sorry...am I unaware of some magical force field around hospitals that keeps BGs out?

Yah its called private property law and applies to hospitals or any other businesses such as you mentioned that disallow firearms.

Push your way into a place that doesn't want you and be arrested for criminal trespass...

B

bhancock

Yah its called private property law and applies to hospitals or any other businesses such as you mentioned that disallow firearms.

Push your way into a place that doesn't want you and be arrested for criminal trespass...

You should try reading your posts out loud to yourself a couple times before you push the Submit Reply button. Just a thought.

Spartacus

Banned

Let's try replacing a few words here:

Leave your frickin gun at home when you go to the store unless you are worried that the grocery staff might attack you or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

Leave your frickin gun at home when you take a business trip unless you are worried that some BG might attack you or Osama bin Laden is the attending.

I think it's pretty well accepted that we never know if/when we will need a weapon. If we did, why would we carry at all?

I just wanted to archive your goofyness for posterity so I quoted your full text.