• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12 Oct 2010 Portland City Council Assessment

ep0k

Alright folks, here's the skinny for those who couldn't make it.

Shane, Norman, and myself spoke against the proposed legislation. The City Council constrained the scope of the meeting to the "proposed legislation" as worded in the 30 September letter which included the much-touted CFP exemption clause. Representatives from Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence spoke in support of the measure.

Skolnik subsequently passed (with a unanimous vote of TWO) the OLD resolution which is a blanket ban on all forms of carry in the designated "public spaces where mass gatherings occur". So much for "concealed carry prevailing".

While personally I'm confident that this measure will die on the table when actually presented to the city council as a whole it just goes to show you how far an ideologue will go to push his personal agenda. Councilor Skolnik is not interested in facts, statistics, logic, reason, common sense, or even public safety. He is turning into a one-issue lame duck clinging to his anti-gun measure like a rat on the titanic.

Turnout was not as prevalent as the last meeting but thank you to all who attended.

I would like to take an opportunity to point out at this juncture that it was not the NRA, The Maine Sportsman's Alliance, or any other organization who stood in city hall today and took a stand for the Second Amendment and Article 1, Section 16 of the Maine Constitution. MOCA was the only group representing gun rights in Maine this evening even though we have been conspicuously excluded from the city council's mailing list.

I was interviewed by Maine Public Radio after the meeting and I expect to meet with them again tomorrow. I also saw the reporter interviewing Skolnik so I look forward to hearing the report.

Full audio of my speech should be available by tomorrow. If anyone has other recordings please feel free to send them my way.

Maine CWP Training

Portland Officials Propose Banning Guns In Public Places
Proposal Set To Be Voted On In November

PORTLAND, Maine -- Portland city officials have thrown their support behind a proposal to ban guns in public buildings in Maine.

The city's Public Safety Committee heard arguments both for and against the idea at a public hearing Tuesday night.

City councilors are considering drafting a resolution that asks the state to amend current laws to prohibit guns in places where crowds gather. In Portland, that would include venues like Fitzpatrick Stadium, the Expo and City Hall.

Forest Brown with the Maine Open Carry Association said that proposal steps on his rights as a U.S. citizen.

"I have effectively been taxed to exercise my Second Amendment rights and I will reject any legislation which seeks to broaden such encroachment," Brown said.

William Harwood with Citizens Against Handgun Violence also spoke Tuesday night, saying that he hopes to take the proposal to a vote.

"We appreciate and support the efforts you are making here. We are very hopeful that you will ask the delegation to take this to Augusta so that it can be considered in January by the new legislature," Harwood said.

The resolution would include special provisions for people like police officers, WMTW News 8 reported.

The full council will vote next month. If the proposal passes, it will then go to state lawmakers in Augusta who have to decide whether to amend current gun laws.

Last edited:

crdonov

Alright folks, here's the skinny for those who couldn't make it.

Shane, Norman, and myself spoke against the proposed legislation. The City Council constrained the scope of the meeting to the "proposed legislation" as worded in the 30 September letter which included the much-touted CFP exemption clause. Representatives from Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence spoke in support of the measure.

Skolnik subsequently passed (with a unanimous vote of TWO) the OLD resolution which is a blanket ban on all forms of carry in the designated "public spaces where mass gatherings occur". So much for "concealed carry prevailing".

While personally I'm confident that this measure will die on the table when actually presented to the city council as a whole it just goes to show you how far an ideologue will go to push his personal agenda. Councilor Skolnik is not interested in facts, statistics, logic, reason, common sense, or even public safety. He is turning into a one-issue lame duck clinging to his anti-gun measure like a rat on the titanic.

Turnout was not as prevalent as the last meeting but thank you to all who attended.

I would like to take an opportunity to point out at this juncture that it was not the NRA, The Maine Sportsman's Alliance, or any other organization who stood in city hall today and took a stand for the Second Amendment and Article 1, Section 16 of the Maine Constitution. MOCA was the only group representing gun rights in Maine this evening even though we have been conspicuously excluded from the city council's mailing list.

I was interviewed by Maine Public Radio after the meeting and I expect to meet with them again tomorrow. I also saw the reporter interviewing Skolnik so I look forward to hearing the report.

Full audio of my speech should be available by tomorrow. If anyone has other recordings please feel free to send them my way.

great job last night!!!!!!!!!

xd-over

Last edited: