• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elect a pro-gun Oakland County Probate Judge!

goarep

Dear Second Amendment and Firearms Supporters,

In the upcoming election for Oakland County Probate Judge the best choice supporters of the Second Amendment who has a heritage of protecting gun rights is DANA HATHAWAY!

For those of you who might not know DANA HATHAWAY is the Niece of former NRA President Tom Washington. I am certain Uncle Tom has taught her to have the proper respect for for firearms but their owner as well.

If you live in OAKLAND COUNTY,please spread the word,perhaps put up a sign and please VOTE FOR DANA HATHAWAY for Oakland County Probate Judge.

Best Regards,

Hyperion

For those of you who might not know DANA HATHAWAY is the Niece of former NRA President Tom Washington. I am certain Uncle Tom has taught her to have the proper respect for for firearms but their owner as well.

Those who know me also know that I am an ardent supporter of individual liberty with special attention to firearm rights. I don't post often, and try not to push my personal opinions around in an open forum. However, this OP caught my attention. Tonight I was in a unique position to follow-up on the issue, so here goes:

The Hathaway family is well known for their liberal bent. You may remember then-candidate Diane Hathaway's (D)bogus "sleeping justice" ads that were introduced at the last minute to torpedo Michigan Supreme Court Justice Cliff Taylor (R). You know, the same Diane Hathaway that would have voted to permit the bogus, scam, democrat-created "Tea Party" to appeal their removal from the November ballot?

If you live in Oakland County and fit certain criteria that would paint you as Republican or conservative-leaning, you might have received a robocall in the last 10 days suggesting that you vote for Rick Snyder and Dana Hathaway. That call also offers that David Gorcyca supports Dana. These calls, inferring conservative support for Hathaway, are actually generated from a democrat operative in Royal Oak. If you receive one of these calls, check your caller ID and do a google search yourself. Take a look at Dana's website. Note Dana's list of supporters. Including her relatives, almost every single person listed is a noted liberal activist. You can't get more anti-gun than Jessica Cooper and Barry Howard. Union supporters of the Hathaway dynasty are well represented too.

Dana hasn't had a license to practice law long enough to qualify to sit as judge and certainly could not have appeared before all the judges she lists as supporters. Dana will have the minimum requirement of five years experience only AFTER the election. Dana has zero experience in probate law. If elected, maybe she can learn on your case? KATHLEEN RYAN has been a fixture in Oakland Probate Court. She was there when I started practicing law, and she's still there. KATHLEEN RYAN has fourteen years experience and is rated "well qualified". I've never seen Dana appear in any court on any matter, let alone a probate case.

I talked firearms with KATHLEEN RYAN this evening. After the discussion I can earnestly report that she is very pro-2A. She enjoyed talking about the subject and is obviously proficient in the safe handling of firearms, not as a result of a distant and questionable connection to her dentist's uncle's third cousin who once went to a western film, but through ownership. KATHLEEN RYAN'S base was well represented at the dinner this evening. Oakland County Circuit and Probate judges were numerous. Not everyone in attendance was conservative. House Majority Leader Andy Dillon (D) (NRA-PVF rated "B") was there too. KATHLEEN'S conservative and pro-2A credentials are assured, Dana's are assuredly absent.

If you are in the gun culture and are considering voting for Dana Hathaway, an inexperienced judicial candidate who associates with known gun-grabbers, you need to double check the research. If the unverifiable stretch of distant relation to an NRA president makes up for all this, then I guess you will vote your conscience.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Those who know me also know that I am an ardent supporter of individual liberty with special attention to firearm rights. I don't post often, and try not to push my personal opinions around in an open forum. However, this OP caught my attention. Tonight I was in a unique position to follow-up on the issue, so here goes:

The Hathaway family is well known for their liberal bent. You may remember Diane Hathaway's bogus "sleeping justice" ads that were introduced at the last minute to torpedo Republican Cliff Taylor. You know, the same Diane Hathaway that would have voted to permit the bogus scam democrat created "Tea Party" to appeal removal from the election ballot?

If you live in Oakland County and fit certain criteria that would paint you as Republican or conservative-leaning, you might have received a robocall in the last 10 days suggesting that you vote for Rick Snyder and Dana Hathaway. That call also offers that David Gorcyca supports Dana. These calls, inferring conservative support for Hathaway, are actually generated from a democrat operative in Royal Oak. Check your caller ID and do a google search yourself. Take a look at Dana's website which lists her supporters. Including her relatives, almost every single person listed is a noted liberal activist. You can't get more anti-gun than Jessica Cooper and Barry Howard. Union supporters of the Hathaway dynasty are well represented too.

Dana hasn't had a license to practice law long enough to qualify to be a judge and certainly could not have appeared before all the judges listed as supporters. She will have the minimum five years experience only AFTER the election and just before she is sworn in. She has zero experience in probate law. If elected, maybe she can learn on your case? KATHLEEN RYAN has been a fixture in Oakland Probate Court. She was there when I started practicing law, and she's still there now. KATHLEEN RYAN has fourteen years of excellent experience and well qualified to do the job. I've never seen Dana practicing in any court, let alone probate.

I talked firearms with KATHLEEN RYAN this evening. After the discussion I can earnestly state that she is very pro-2A. She enjoyed talking about the subject and is obviously proficient in the safe handling of the tools, not through a distant and questionable connection to her dentist's uncle's third cousin who once went to a western film, but through ownership. KATHLEEN RYAN'S base was well represented at the dinner this evening. Oakland County Circuit and Probate judges were numerous. Not everyone in attendance was conservative. House Majority Leader Andy Dillon was there (NRA-PVF rated "B"). KATHLEEN'S conservative and pro-2A credentials are assured, Dana's are assuredly absent.

If you are in the gun culture and are considering voting for Dana Hathaway, an inexperienced judicial candidate who associates with known gun-grabbers, you need to double check the research. If the unverifiable stretch of distant relation to an NRA president makes up for all this, then I guess you will vote your conscience.

Odd because the OP appears to be the Michigan Rep. for GOA. Perhaps the Rep. needs to do more research into the candidates.

Thanks for the contradictory info.

2A Defender

I have never been to this forum but this caught my eye and knowing a bit about this, I must respond. I am a 2A supporter, an NRA member, a true conservative, and (I'm certain Hyperion will gasp) a Dana Margaret Hathaway supporter...even before I knew she was related to Former NRA President Tom Washington.

You have made it clear that you are supporting her opponent. I respect your right to vote for whomever you choose but you are biased, and so am I. In addition, your post lacks substance, so I will fill in the facts. You have said nothing about Dana's second amendment views - you have merely attacked some of her democratic supporters and ignored her conservative support. You don't mention that the "union" support that she has is the Police Officers Association of Michigan - a group that clearly values their 2A rights. They recently endorsed Rick Snyder. Hathaway's grandfather, Harry Washington, was an avid hunter, police officer, NRA member and a life-long republican, like me. With the exception of Diane, the entire Washington family are true conservatives, including the late Tom Washington. Diane and her father are obviously different people, as are Dana and her mother. Believe it or not, republicans and democrats can exist in the same family. Although it is clear you would like to exact the "Revenge of Cliff Taylor" on the daughter of the candidate that defeated him, your vengeance is misdirected. A huge difference between Dana and her mother, if you bothered to do your research, is that Dana has represented the very same corporations that supported Taylor and made him Chief Justice. You may have not seen her in court because she represents clients in cases all over the country. Brilliant and talented attorneys can do that. You also ignore that there are many conservative Hathaways, at least two of which were appointed by Former Governor John Engler.

Regardless, it is a non-partisan race. Of course she is going to have liberal supporters but that should not cause you to unjustly question her conservative base or 2A views. I did not receive a robo-call but I'm not shocked to hear that Snyder is supporting her. Your unverifiable claim that a "democratic operative" sent out robo-calls for Snyder is nonsense.
And although I have met your candidate and know of her reputation, I will not attack her as you have attacked mine. The Ryan camp has, from the beginning, attacked Hathaway because of her mother in an effort to confuse people. While you and I do not share the same viewpoint, I would never be hostile toward your children because of it. I did not vote for Diane Hathaway. But I will vote for Dana.

Hyperion

I have never been to this forum but this caught my eye and knowing a bit about this, I must respond.
Let's see, first post, never been to the forum, just joined today? This is what is called a reputation defender. Campaigns have people who comb the web making sure their candidate is defended whenever someone generates a negative post. Is this a dirty trick? Not necessarily. So long as the reputation defender doesn't misrepresent themself or the position of the candidate they are shilling for and their true purpose is evident, all is fair. The first step is to establish trust with the forum population...

I am a 2A supporter, an NRA member, a true conservative, and (I'm certain Hyperion will gasp) a Dana Margaret Hathaway supporter...even before I knew she was related to Former NRA President Tom Washington.

I wonder what attracts this arch conservative to Dana Hathaway. Is it her conservative views? What is her stated position on the 2A?

You have made it clear that you are supporting her opponent. I respect your right to vote for whomever you choose but you are biased, and so am I.

That's kind of the point of an election, isn't it? If an elector wasn't biased, how could they choose who to vote for?

In addition, your post lacks substance, so I will fill in the facts. You have said nothing about Dana's second amendment views - you have merely attacked some of her democratic supporters and ignored her conservative support.

I can't wait for the facts now...and to hear what Dana's 2A views are!

You don't mention that the "union" support that she has is the Police Officers Association of Michigan - a group that clearly values their 2A rights. They recently endorsed Rick Snyder.

The POAM doesn't need or have 2A rights. Their membership consists of police. Its members have "police powers", people have rights. The idea that the POAM is supporting Dana because it values the 2A is disingenuous and intentionally misleading. What is the purpose of POAM? From their website: " [POAM] Provides all labour related services, from negotiations, grievance processing, arbitration and legal representation for members." POAM explains their endorsement of candidates thusly: "Why should police officers' labor organizations be any different from the Teamsters, UAW, teachers, skilled trades, or any other labor union who would do the same thing?" And for POAM endorsing the 20 point leader for governor? Wow! What a courageous stand. Endorsing another Hathaway in a close race? I'm unimpressed. Not that I care at all about endorsements, but Ryan collected these civil service related endorsements:
The Detroit Police Officers Association
The Detroit Lieutenants and Sergeants Association
The Michigan State Troopers Association
The Michigan State Police Command Officers Association
The Police Officers Labor Council
The Michigan Association of Police (MAP)
The Michigan Association of Fire Fighters (MAFF)
The Michigan Association of Public Employees (MAPE)
The Warren Police Officers Association
The Flint Police Officers Association

Believe it or not, republicans and democrats can exist in the same family.

That's kind of the whole point behind my original post. Dana's relationship to Tom Washington has absolutely no bearing on her position on the 2A. Conservative or liberal, RYAN's position on the 2A is favorable. But you're not going to say that Dana is a conservative, that she is a gun owner or supports the 2A are you? You seem to know all about the Hathaways and the Washingtons, but you don't know what Dana's position is. I wonder how that is.

Although it is clear you would like to exact the "Revenge of Cliff Taylor" on the daughter of the candidate that defeated him, your vengeance is misdirected. A huge difference between Dana and her mother, if you bothered to do your research, is that Dana has represented the very same corporations that supported Taylor and made him Chief Justice.

You confuse me with someone who gives a damn about Cliff Taylor. I don't. The dirty tricks employed by the Hathaway campaign are illustrative of those who can't succeed on their own merit or on their out-of-the-mainstream views. The barrage of smoke and mirrors in the Hathaway campaigns and clueless incumbents who are facing the vengeance of the electorate are what irritates me.

You may have not seen her in court because she represents clients in cases all over the country. Brilliant and talented attorneys can do that.

Brilliant and talented as she may be--like I said, I've never seen Dana actually practicing law--if she is representing corporations all over the country, how does that make her qualified to preside over issues of mental health, estates, wills, trusts, divorce, custody, support, etc.? Those are the responsibilities of a probate court judge, not representing corporations all over the country.

Regardless, it is a non-partisan race. Of course she is going to have liberal supporters but that should not cause you to unjustly question her conservative base or 2A views.

What are her 2A views? 2A Defender would seem to infer that he/she is, well, a 2A defender. One would think that he/she would at least be able to state what his/her preferred candidate's views on the 2A are. Alas, we don't even have those assertions. As a Dana supporter, would you mind asking her if she is a firearm owner, recognizes the 2A as an individual liberty, supports concealed carry, open carry, abolishing PFZs, etc.

I did not receive a robo-call but I'm not shocked to hear that Snyder is supporting her. Your unverifiable claim that a "democratic operative" sent out robo-calls for Snyder is nonsense.

I never wrote, nor did I imply that Rick Snyder supports Dana. Where did that smoke come from? The robocalls are real and have been traced to a democrat operative in Royal Oak.

And although I have met your candidate and know of her reputation, I will not attack her as you have attacked mine. The Ryan camp has, from the beginning, attacked Hathaway because of her mother in an effort to confuse people.

The only "attack" by the Ryan campaign that I am aware of is illuminating Dana's complete inexperience. What attacks are you referring to? What is Dana's experience? http://www.ocba.org/resource/attach/1747/JCQHathaway.pdf Check it out yourself. She has never gone to trial, not once! Her experience is limited 100% to civil cases; auto negligence. Kathleen Ryan's experience: http://www.ocba.org/resource/attach/1747/JCQRyan.pdf

While you and I do not share the same viewpoint, I would never be hostile toward your children because of it. I did not vote for Diane Hathaway. But I will vote for Dana.

It is my experience as a libertarian that democrats just don't understand that the populace is pissed about the trampling of individual liberties whether caused by demicans or republicrats. Democrats seem stuck on the idea that "Republicans are the enemy" and "anyone who opposes us is a Republican". Challenged, democrats and their liberal shills in the media hurl personal attacks and threaten hostility. Democrats dismiss Tea Party supporters as Republicans, deriding them as "tea baggers" with their "astroturf base" and created by ultra-right wing founders. They just don't get it. That's why democrats are going to get their hats handed to them next month, just like their republican contemporaries got creamed in the primaries.

The unanswered facts are that Dana is completely inexperienced and her views on firearm issues are unknown. Her association with anti-liberty supporters is sufficient to call into question her opinion on the subject. I don't believe that a candidate for elected office should ascend to the position purely because of their DNA originates from a political dynasty. I KNOW Kathleen Ryan's position on guns. Probate court judges are in a unique position to issue orders that can permanently deprive a citizen of their rights to possess firearms. The members of this forum should be very sensitive to the political leanings of those who wield such power.