• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay Press Gazette Story tomorrow

ckmorley

i just did a follow-up interview with the Green Bay Press Gazette reporter who was interviewing us at the Ashwaubenon Open Carry meet-and-greet.

He said the story should be printed tomorrow.

I found it ironic that the gentleman is originally from the Springfield, IL area and I'm a recent transplant from 40 years in the Chicago area. Two ILLinoys expats talking gun rights in Wisconsin.

I hope the story comes out positive.

chris morley

anmut

I'll give them a B for the story. But where do they drag up these people?

"It's scary knowing people can carry their guns on them, no matter what, as long as it's in a holster," she said. "I never vote. Maybe I'll start."

REALLY? YOU NEVER VOTE AND THE GUNS ARE THE SCARY PART OF THAT?!

J.Gleason

Banned
Hmm, I appreciate your efforts Morley but, We do not need a CCW law. We need to repeal the statute prohibiting CCW.
We don't need more laws and with a CCW law comes permits and fees.

Everyone needs to stop and think before speaking with any more media or reporters.
It looks like we are all stumbling over each other. Let's all get on the same page here so we can move on and walk together.

REPEAL 941.23! That is what we need to do! Now lets do it!

That should be all you have to say to a reporter or your legislator, period. Stop all this talk about a new ccw law.

anmut

Hmm, I appreciate your efforts Morley but, We do not need a CCW law. We need to repeal the statute prohibiting CCW.

Everyone needs to stop and think before speaking with any more media or reporters.
It looks like we are all stumbling over each other. Let's all get on the same page here so we can move on and walk together.

That should be all you have to say to a reporter or your legislator, period. Stop all this talk about a new ccw law.

Agreed - if contacted by the media I suggest sending them to Nik at Wisconsin Carry INC

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

J. its not that simple. Its VERY VERY VERY difficult to get media to write in the proper syntax and get it "right".

Honestly, some reporters just "assume" that the only way to conceal carry is a conceal carry law.

Never forget, if you don't read the news paper you are uniformed. If you DO read the newspaper you are misinformed.

Mr. Davis called me regarding this story. I gave him 100% factual information yet teh final news product doesn't get it completely right. Not "way" wrong, but for example:

People with guns must not be within 1,000 feet of a school zone, state park, government building, or a place serving alcohol. Business owners are allowed to refuse entry to anyone openly carrying a handgun

I can assure you I very specifically told Mr. Davis that you can't carry within 1000ft of a school UNLESS you are on private property.

He chose to just write that you can't carry "within 1000 ft of a school".

I also shared with Mr. Davis that you CAN carry in a place that serves alcohol with the permission of the owner/manager. He chose to just write that you can't carry in "a place serving alcohol"

If you want to nit-pick, there are plenty of things to nit-pick in the article. In a perfect world, reporters would send you their copy before they go to press with it and you can make sure they got it right/quoted you property. In the real world, I can tell you "NOT gonna happen"

It may be for brevity, simplicity, the ease of spoon-feeding the non-educated, or it may be that the news media doesn't have the time to REALLY understand what they are reporting on to where they have the understanding themselves to get it right in the short time they have to write a story and get their news product on the shelf and move on to the next story. I don't know, but trust me when I say it takes a mix of phenomenal skill and/or luck to get media to print a perfectly accurate message. To this day, I don't think I've ever had an interview where what was written/reported was what I felt was the whole story I gave/accurate representation of what I gave them.

It is what it is. I am not going to try to hang the media. Rather I'd just remind people its drive-by media reporting, not white-paper research. White paper research doesn't sell. Reporters are just doing their job. Their job is not to write research, its to put a story out there that contributes to a marketable newspaper/tv news program/etc. Research and news are not the same thing.

In a vehicle, firearms must be unloaded, cased, and out of the driver's reach.

We also know this isn't true

Again, not hanging the reporter on this one, just pointing out that its news, not research.

As for "conceal carry law" or "signing a conceal carry bill", in order to repeal 941.23, would you not have to introduce a bill to repeal 941.23 and get it signed into law?

Don't jump to conclusions that just because someone says conceal carry law/conceal carry bill they are SUDDENLY flushing VT/AK/AZ style right to carry. You don't know what the person REALLY said vs. what was reported AND you are also assuming what the person meant by "conceal carry law".

Last edited:

ckmorley

Agreed - if contacted by the media I suggest sending them to Nik at Wisconsin Carry INC

Nik and Hubert gave me the go-ahead to do interviews related to the Ashwaubenon meet-and-greet........so I did.

chris morley

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
J. its not that simple. Its VERY VERY VERY difficult to get media to write in the proper syntax and get it "right".

Don't jump to conclusions that just because someone says conceal carry law/conceal carry bill they are SUDDENLY flushing VT/AK/AZ style right to carry. You don't know what the person REALLY said vs. what was reported AND you are also assuming what the person meant by "conceal carry law".

Understood, but not jumping to any conclusions. The point I am trying to make is that we all need to keep giving the same message consistently. That is we need to repeal 941.23. Especially now with the latest court decision (Schultz).

If we all continue to give the same message the chances of the correct information being printed will be much more likely.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Understood, but not jumping to any conclusions. The point I am trying to make is that we all need to keep giving the same message consistently. That is we need to repeal 941.23. Especially now with the latest court decision (Schultz).

If we all continue to give the same message the chances of the correct information being printed will be much more likely.

I agree.

It will take a long time to change the vernacular around Wisconsin, but its an important change to make, as along with it comes a realization of what rights REALLY are

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Nik and Hubert gave me the go-ahead to do interviews related to the Ashwaubenon meet-and-greet........so I did.

chris morley

It probably goes without saying, but I hope none of our members would ever think they need permission from WCI to do anything (speaking to the media or otherwise)

We don't "own" the carry-rights movement in Wisconsin, we are just a part of it.

In the case of the Ashwaubenon meet and greet we did talk with Chris about being a point of contact regarding that event, for the media, since he is local and a great representative of the open-carry movement in his area (along with many others)

JerryD

It probably goes without saying, but I hope none of our members would ever think they need permission from WCI to do anything (speaking to the media or otherwise)

We don't "own" the carry-rights movement in Wisconsin, we are just a part of it.

In the case of the Ashwaubenon meet and greet we did talk with Chris about being a point of contact regarding that event, for the media, since he is local and a great representative of the open-carry movement in his area (along with many others)

With that being said it is better to have someone who is on the same page with everyone else when it comes to answering quesitons from the media.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member

chris morley

Had this been a WCI organized gathering, then I would agree that the media should be directed towards WCI officials. However, the Ashwaubenon meet/greet was organized by Chris and if I was a reporter, I would want to know HIS reasons.

Upstanding job there Chris! Made lots of new contacts, and my kids got to see AR up close and personal, couldn't have gone better.