• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Put Firearm in glovebox when leaving the vehicle?

Maverick9110e

I remember seeing a thread on here but i don't think there was a definite answer. If i am carrying my firearm and have to go to a resturant or something that doesn't allow me to carry, can i put my gun in my glovebox or in a box under my seat and then lock the vehicle and leave? I do not have a CCP so i'm not sure what the rule is on that if no one is in the car and the car is locked? Just weary of leaving it out on the seat or something.

Sam

Be very weary! It will be taken if you leave it in the open.

You do not have to worry about concealing a weapon in a vehicle you are no longer occupying. ^_^
Go ahead and lock it up out of sight.

calynn

I've got a craftsman toolbox that I lock mine in, if I have to. I don't really like leaving it in the truck though.

On my motorcycle it's a different story. Lockable hardbags are where I store it then. It kinda sucks having to handle the gun in the open though... can't wait till some yuppie sees me putting the .40 in the bag, and freaks out.

HvyMtl

bad idea - the lock box door is plastic, and the lock is weak. A flathead screwdriver and seconds = gun in criminal hands

I suggest a car gun safe. You can google it.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm Using this link as a mere example, not condoning the online store in any manner.

I suggest a combination safe, as keys can be lost... A safe which can slide under the seat and uses a hard to cut cable to lock the safe to the car seat. This type is simple, easy to use, and does not modify the car...

I am unclear on NC law. But, the case is locked, not see thru, and it does not have a key to open it...

Why spend your $ at a restaurant that does not support your 2nd A rights is a different manner...

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Why spend your $ at a restaurant that does not support your 2nd A rights is a different manner...

Its not about whether or not the restaurant supports our 2A rights. The law in NC states that firearms are prohibited in any establishment that sells alcohol for the purpose of immediate consumption. This rules out many restaurants. So if you ever want to enjoy a *nice* dinner out with your special someone, you will have to disarm in order to remain legal.

chiefjason

I don't see any LEO in his right mind pushing the issue on the few seconds between getting in and out. That's exactly what I did before I got my CCP. I also have a lock box behind the seat. So the box is not concealing it, it's storing it. And don't leave it on your seat.

Northerner

Be very weary! It will be taken if you leave it in the open.

You do not have to worry about concealing a weapon in a vehicle you are no longer occupying. ^_^
Go ahead and lock it up out of sight.

Old Forum tread, but I finally got the bug to install my lock box for my old truck. Not being able to Open Carry in certain places, I can now at least lock it inside this box. Not impervious, but at least safe, out of sight, and locked. I need a few more screws to make it tougher to rip off the truck wall. Box was $12 at Wal Mart and adhesive foam was $3. The bench seat sits back with no interference. Took 5 minutes to install...probably 5 seconds to rip off the wall...LOL

Not sure the washers would be good, since they may offer greater leverage to pull off. The truck bed is too close to put a locking nut on the backside. Any ideas, let me know?

Attachments

• 2011-03-24_18-46-58_148.jpg
    2011-03-24_18-46-58_148.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 155
  • 2011-03-24_18-45-37_580.jpg
    2011-03-24_18-45-37_580.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

sultan62

I recently got one as well. I picked up one of the electronic combo safes from WalMart, drilled a hole in it and put an eyebolt in. I still need to pick up a cable lock to hook it to the seat. There isn't anywhere particularly good to actually bolt the safe in place without some serious modification, so I think the bike lock solution is the best for me.

Also, I tried the CoM safe mentioned above. The combination lock was of extremely poor quality. I ordered four of them, to split the cost of shipping with other friends, and all of them had problems of one sort or another-opening on multiple combinations, not opening on the set combination, failure to achieve a positive lock...I was extremely disappointed, and we returned them. I prefer a combination safe to a keyed safe, but if you want the key version, it may be worth it. I have no complaints about the safe other than the quality of the lock.