Thread: NPR Fresh Air on the AK-47

NPR Fresh Air on the AK-47

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130493013
    a book review:
    The AK-47: 'The Gun' That Changed The Battlefield

written by a war correspondent.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

While it's a fairly capable weapon, as it's traditionally been held in the hands of those who've killed tens of thousands of Americans, I'm not sure it deserves mention.

Besides, of the five separate ones I fired, four of them jammed something fierce, a problem I never hand with the M-16A2 I fired for qual years back. Only one fired true, and that one was owned by a gunsmith.

My take is that if it takes a gunsmith to render it true, why would anyone rely on it for any use whatsoever? (unless one is a gunsmith)
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    While it's a fairly capable weapon, as it's traditionally been held in the hands of those who've killed tens of thousands of Americans, I'm not sure it deserves mention.

Besides, of the five separate ones I fired, four of them jammed something fierce, a problem I never hand with the M-16A2 I fired for qual years back. Only one fired true, and that one was owned by a gunsmith.

My take is that if it takes a gunsmith to render it true, why would anyone rely on it for any use whatsoever? (unless one is a gunsmith)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvrG4T2K4sE

You are joking right?!? You have no idea what you are talking about. The Ak 47 is one of the most reliable weapons (if not THE most reliable weapon in the world). The AK 47 might be a little lacking in accuracy, but it more than makes up for it in reliability and simplicity. I have shot the M 16 quite a bit being in the infantry and it is a great weapon, but the AK I would say has had a much larger impact on the world and is much worth mention.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
    Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

You did not fire AK's that were true. This is the importers fault. I recently bought an AK-74 and done a lot research before my purchase. What I found out is there is basically two versions. The 'grab bag' version, and the new parts versions. "Most people buy the "grab bag" version simply out of ignorance and price ($300-$400 vs $700 and up)
    What happens with the cheap units is boxes of receivers, barrels, bolts, pistons, ect., come in. The importers just start grabbing (used) parts and assembling the rifles. So you now have a rifle with a bunch of mismatched parts. You may get "lucky" and buy one that works like a dream, and you may not.
    I am 99.9% sure this is the issue with the ones you shot. Easy to tell also, just tear the gun down and look at all of the serial numbers of the the parts. They are supposed to match, if they don't, then it is a "grab bag" victim.
    What I can say is, I have a new AK-74 (a new model 47, basically only changed the caliber.) and have not had a single issue with it.

I've owned and shot multiple AK47s, romanian, bulgarian, egyptian, chinese, yugoslavian, century armys, arsenal arms, and saigas and never had a problem. I would like to see some sort of citation and proof for your claims because you are sounding a bit crazy.
    Last edited by ChiangShih; 10-18-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La

Quote Originally Posted by ChiangShih View Post
    I've owned and shot multiple AK47s, romanian, bulgarian, egyptian, chinese, yugoslavian, century armys, arsenal arms, and saigas and never had a problem. I would like to see some sort of citation and proof for your claims....
    I've fired two AK-47s with members here on this forum. One worked just fine. The other jammed quite a bit.

The remainder of my information comes from my military training as well as friends of mine in SOCOM.
    Last edited by since9; 10-19-2010 at 02:11 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.