• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Draconian Down Under

CitizenAus

Dear All,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first post. I’m an Aussie from down under and a great admirer of the Second Amendment. In my view, the Second Amendment is a recognition by the American people of an inalienable natural right shared by ALL people – a natural right that has been violated by the Australian federal and state governments.

Unfortunately, many of our (Aussie) “pro-gun lobbies” seem to think that its too “extreme” to support this inalienable natural right – the right to own and use guns for self-defence. This is really mind-boggling for me and really show's the strength of the anti-gun extremists and tyrannically-minded politicians down here.

I was wondering if you guys in the US could share some of your lobbying techniques with me in relation to such draconian views or point me to a thread already discussing this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Haz.

Welcome to the site mate.

G-day mate. Glad you have come aboard. I read your PM on S&F this morning but couldn't reply. My PC's playing up. Did you read the article in the Australian Newspaper yesterday? They hammered Tony Abbot something fierce. Why, because he picked up a big dun and fired off a few buwwets whilst visiting the diggers in Afganistan. I posted the article here, "Whoneeds a Gun in Australia," and on S&F. Dont know if John let it through on S&F though, Im on Admin post review watch.

See you round mate, theres some great guys on this site and most of them think like you and me regarding firearms, self defence, and the use of them for self defence.

Haz.

CitizenAus

Thanks Haz,

Yeah, John at S&F put me on warning for supporting gun rights. It's quite ridiculous. Not sure what the problem is over there. Anyway, I told it to him straight and now I'm banned :)

Yeah, saw the papers. Every Aussie should have an automatic rifle at home and its good that Abbott got a feel for one. I just fear he'd follow Howard's anti-gun fanaticism regardless...

DCKilla

Welcome to the board

I always found the best way to make a "gun nut" is on the firing line. Getting people to the range and shooting reduces or eliminates unnecessary fear of firearms.

Daylen

make protecting your right to keep and bear arms the #1 priority. that is the only way to protect it. If a politician does anything not pro-2nd amendment seek a replacement. How someone will enhance your gun rights and self defense rights is the only thing to look at unless two candidates are completely equal in that regard; then other issues can matter. Donate to PACs that will help in this; if there are no truly pro-gun PACs then one needs to be started. And never let an anti-gun comment or sentiment go unchallenged. It might not be a "nice" approach, but when we, as Americans, strayed from that path terrible laws were enacted. Very recently people said "on its silly to think Obama will outlaw assault weapons, that will never happen" even though just a few years ago the same people were upset when congress let a BAN on such weapons lapse. I think the dem's haven't tried anything overt against firearms because they saw the sales of weapons and ammo and were afraid of what might happen if they tried; for by spending so much a message was sent: we're going to be ready, so don't even try.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
makeprotectingyourrighttokeepandbeararmsthe#1 prioritythat istheonlywaytoprotectitIfpoliticiandoesanythingnotpro-2ndamendmentseekareplacement.How someone will enhanceyourgunrightsandselfdefenserightsistheonlythingtolookatunlesstwocandidatesarecompletelyequalinthatregard;thenotherissuescan matterdonatetoPACsthatwillhelpinthisifthererenotrulypro-gunPACsthenoneneedstobestartedandneveletananti-guncommentorsentimentgounchallengeditmightnotbea"nice"approachbutwhenweasAmericans,strayedfromthatathterriblelawsereenactedVeryrecentlypeoplesaid"onitssillytothinkbamawilloutlawassaultweaponsthatwillneverhappen"even thoughjustafewyearsagothesamepeopleereupsetwhencongressletaBANonsuch weaponslapseithinkthedemshaventriedanythingovertagainstfirearmsbecausetheysawthesales ofweaponsandammoandwereafraidwhatmighthappentheytriedforbyspendingsomuchamessagewas sentwe'regoingtobereadysodonteventry

There, fixed it for you. Much easier to read, now. You use waaay too much spacing, puncuation, and capitalization.

:):p

JoeSparky

Centurion
make protecting your right to keep and bear arms the #1 priority. that is the only way to protect it. If a politician does anything not pro-2nd amendment seek a replacement. How someone will enhance your gun rights and self defense rights is the only thing to look at unless two candidates are completely equal in that regard; then other issues can matter. Donate to PACs that will help in this; if there are no truly pro-gun PACs then one needs to be started. And never let an anti-gun comment or sentiment go unchallenged. It might not be a "nice" approach, but when we, as Americans, strayed from that path terrible laws were enacted. Very recently people said "on its silly to think Obama will outlaw assault weapons, that will never happen" even though just a few years ago the same people were upset when congress let a BAN on such weapons lapse. I think the dem's haven't tried anything overt against firearms because they saw the sales of weapons and ammo and were afraid of what might happen if they tried; for by spending so much a message was sent: we're going to be ready, so don't even try.

G-day Mate to the new Ausie from Utah.

Daylen, with regard to your post quoted above the most significant problem this bloke has is, UNLESS I AM WRONG, he doesn't have an amendment in HIS countries constitution even remotely like our US 2nd Amendment. Now as for him and many many of his country-mates changing the political landscape to eliminate all the PROGRESSIVE junk that has gone on in his country and is going on in our country will be a big problem. However, if no one attempts to change it will only be this bad OR WORSE in the next ten years.

PavePusher

Thanks Haz,

Yeah, John at S&F put me on warning for supporting gun rights. It's quite ridiculous. Not sure what the problem is over there. Anyway, I told it to him straight and now I'm banned :)

Yeah, saw the papers. Every Aussie should have an automatic rifle at home and its good that Abbott got a feel for one. I just fear he'd follow Howard's anti-gun fanaticism regardless...

S&F? Link? Help?

CitizenAus

G-day Mate to the new Ausie from Utah.

Daylen, with regard to your post quoted above the most significant problem this bloke has is, UNLESS I AM WRONG, he doesn't have an amendment in HIS countries constitution even remotely like our US 2nd Amendment. Now as for him and many many of his country-mates changing the political landscape to eliminate all the PROGRESSIVE junk that has gone on in his country and is going on in our country will be a big problem. However, if no one attempts to change it will only be this bad OR WORSE in the next ten years.

Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone.

JoeSparky,

You are spot on! Our constitution does not have a bill of rights. We are virtually starting from zero when it comes to owning and using guns for self-defence. Since 1996, we've had our natural right to self-defence seriously violated. I say this because, even though legislation recognises our absolute right to self-defence, it does not recognise our right to own and use guns for self-defence. Effectively, this is nothing more than a token gesture leaving law-abiding individuals defenceless against both criminals and any would-be tyrant.

Daylen

there have been some attempts at that in the US. But when a "gun rights" group suggests compromise or "common sense" control most of us tell them where they can shove it. Even the NRA is in danger of becoming one of those. Although with the last two big cases they helped win they do retain decent credibility.