• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carryed on Madison Lakes Again no issues

LOERetired

I was out boating this last weekend and while in the boat I was open carrying while loaded as I have a CC under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, and exempt from most State Law. I still cannot carry in government building, within 1000 feet of a school, or in State Parks (which I'm working on changing)

Keep in mind, that if you don't have a CC permit under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act you have to have the firearm unloaded and the magazine out of the firearm while OCing in the boat while the motor running.

I passed the sheriff's boat three times and they never stopped me, I did not pass the DNR boat though, so I wonder how they would have reacted.

Arms Transportation

It is illegal to:

• possess, place or transport in or on any vehicle, whether moving or stationary, any firearm, bow or crossbow unless the firearm is unloaded and completely enclosed within a carrying case (see page 4 for definition) with no portion of the firearm visible and the bow or crossbow is unstrung or enclosed within a carrying case.

Note: Qualified disabled persons with the authority to shoot from a stationary vehicle must have all firearms unloaded and encased and any bows must be unstrung or encased while the vehicle is in motion.

• possess, place or transport in or on any motor driven boat while the motor is running, any firearm, bow or crossbow unless the firearm is unloaded (does not state the firearm has to be encased) (see below) and bow or crossbow is unstrung or completely enclosed within a carrying case.

Exception: Possession of a strung, uncased bow in a boat while using a motor is legal for bowfishing only. See Spearing and Netting Regulations for additional restrictions.

Unloaded means any of the following:

1. Having no shell or cartridge in the chamber of a firearm or in the magazine, clip, or cylinder attached to a firearm.
2. Having the cap removed from a percussion muzzleloading firearm.
3. Having the flashpan cleaned of powder from a flint lock muzzleloading firearm.
4. Having the powder and projectile removed from the barrel of an electronic ignition system muzzleloader.

Got this from the following DNR 2010 / 2011 pamphlet, 29.224 (1) which was changed to 167.31(2). If you are going to open carry in a boat I would print this and have it with you.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/regs/SGHunt10.pdf

167.31(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND ROADWAYS. (a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying
case.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0167.pdf

Don

Last edited: