• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone work in a field or establishment that they feel leaves them vulnerable?

skorittnig

Shane28's post got me thinking about something that has been of a concern to me for years. As I mentioned in that post- I work in a hospital. More specifically, I work in an operating room (O.R.), providing anesthesia to people for surgery (nurse anesthetist or CRNA). When under anesthesia- the patient is completely helpless. I took an oath to protect them from any and all harm while they are under my care.

One situation I have thought about more than once, is how to handle an armed person in the hospital. I routinely work in an environment that insists that I be unarmed, and confined to a small space with no windows or quick exit, we cannot hear overhead speaker announcements clearly while in the O.R.--and I have a patient who is relying on me to keep them safe. The security guards who staff the hospital are great people, but they are unarmed.

Does anyone else work in an environment that forces them to remain unarmed, and would be difficult to leave?

B

bhancock

I provide in home care often for people who are sometimes at risk of harm from others. In the past we have had restraining orders against individuals which only work against law abiding persons, duh. I have had to lock down the home and wait for the police to arrive which really takes forever when you are under attack. Now since this is in my own home and I have now begun to exercise my right to carry a firearm for protection, we have not had to file for even one retraining order. It seems that the silent moderator tends to make individuals act in a more civilized and restrained manner. I have had firearms in my home but only in the last year began carrying regularly, so here is a good point about carrying for self defense, the firearms had no deterrent effect until it was visible on my person. Even the security guards carrying would be of some deterrent. And of all places that you might have to shoot someone in self defense or defense of others at least medical help would be on site.

I recently had my first surgery under anesthesia and I can tell you that I would have felt much better if my wife had been armed outside the door. You are right about the reality of helplessness and ya, the odds may be low risk, but there is no magic shield around the hospital. It is just such places where the sometimes unexplainable situations happen. I had to fully trust the staff for my well being and safety.

Cobbersmom

Yea, I work in a government building, need I say more? We're not allowed to protect ourselves and exercise our rights, and because it's a public building, anyone can come in. I chased a drunk out a couple weeks ago.
A couple months ago, I called 911 because a convicted felon and drug abuser came into work to intimidate and harass me one week after my restraining order against him expired. Two years ago he had threatened me with a weapon (not a gun).

JerryD

Yea, I work in a government building, need I say more? We're not allowed to protect ourselves and exercise our rights, and because it's a public building, anyone can come in. I chased a drunk out a couple weeks ago.
A couple months ago, I called 911 because a convicted felon and drug abuser came into work to intimidate and harass me one week after my restraining order against him expired. Two years ago he had threatened me with a weapon (not a gun).

I am betting their response time was not the greatest was it?

protias

I work in Milwaukee County, in an office building, in an area that has had an increase in vehicles broken into. Yes, I do "feel" the need to carry.

WTH is with these "feelings?" It is my right, reinforced by both state and federal Constitutions!

CKM

My employer has a policy of no guns on the property at all, so even having a gun in your vehicle violates the company policy. Much of my free time is spent in a government building (fire department). So I guess I am "vulnerable" much of the time because I am not near a firearm. On the other hand, I don't "feel" vulnerable. I try to stay aware of my surroundings and ready to act as necessary. It's a mindset thing.

M

McX

saw something on the book that someone posted about the terrorist targeting government workers, or so they plan, in the D.C. area. watch your back in case they get the cute idea to go after others in other places.

I'm a soldier, which does leave me vulnerable. Thankfully, though, when we are on duty in combat zones, we tend to have very big guns nearby.

rcav8r

I do pizza delivery as my 2nd job, on weekends.
While I have never felt threatened in my small city (Stoughton) while doing this job, I wouldn't mind having the privilege of CC. Technically, I could be fired for doing so, but if it's CC, who'd know?

Also, this place serves alcohol, so that's another issue right there. I'd like to see an exception for any kind of carry in a place that serves alcohol for those who work there, or those who don't imbibe.

Cobbersmom

When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Hehe, I actually had that written in my first post. Wrote up a very long post on my interaction with the cops regarding the incident at work. Decided not to post due to all who read here. Lets just say it was a VERY good interaction about protecting oneself.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Vulnerable? I don't think so, A possible target? Yes!

I operate a retail business, So yes my type of business is a common target for criminal-type people to hold up and steal money and patrons belongings. (didn't a restaurant AND IT'S PATRONS just get held up in racine recently?)
Do I feel vulnerable? Absolutely not. I have yet to have any bears try to raid our dumpster, but I expect it this time of year because they are bulking up for their hibernation this winter.

Since this is a small town, most everyone who knows of me, also knows I carry, But the nice thing about the caselaw from Hamden, is that I can legally conceal while at my place of business so I do not get any crap from the Anti-2A tourist that frequent the area.