• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorders Really Necessary in Colorado Springs?

PikesPeakMtnMan

Just as the title says....are voice recorders really a necessity in COS?

I did used to have one, which wasn't a very good one. And I still have my phone's recording capabilities and I could use my Sansa MP3 player's recorder...but both are only "barely acceptable" at best.

Being that our area is quite gun friendly, how many people use them regularly?

I know that, like our guns, it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

I'm trying to justify spending good money on one....I don't OC on a regular basis but I'm trying to talk myself into doing it more and more.

Beau

I say yes. I have been OC'ing for the last three years and never had a problem. I still carry my voice recorder every day. I figure it's like my pistol, if I never have to use it, great. But I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

ZackL

I have actually been grappling with the same question since I started carrying earlier this year. I don't have my CCW so I always OC (literally everywhere I go), but I also have witnesses almost all the time and my cell phone and witness cell phones in order to corroborate the incident. I think I will be getting one by Christmas just to call it good, but I have to actually justify spending money on anything...

Thanks for asking this PikesPeakMtnMan and for the input Beau.

RockyMtnScotsman

I would have said "no, not in COS" until my wife was scolded by CSPD a couple years ago for having her handgun in her glovebox. "you need a permit for that!" but nothing more came of it. Don't EVER depend on cops to know the law.

mahkagari

This isn't just an OC issue. How about the altercation in the parking lot with the crazy woman shouting at you for not liking the color of your car and then later claiming you verbally sexually harrassed her? Or just getting pulled over for a taillight?

since9

Campaign Veteran
This isn't just an OC issue. How about the altercation in the parking lot with the crazy woman shouting at you for not liking the color of your car and then later claiming you verbally sexually harrassed her? Or just getting pulled over for a taillight?

Good point! Most folks who disagree with what we do would never directly confront us, but some of those might later lie and claim all sorts of things. Who knows what they might claim. If we had a 24/7 voice record, we could recount our conversations as a defense against their accusations.

Gunslinger

For cop encounters in El Paso County--not just COS, I'd say no. But your point is well taken. Could run into some PDR of Kalifornia ******* from southcentral LA who "did" for Obooba and is waiting for him to send her money at the local crackhouse to supplement her aid for dependant children welfare, and you drive a BMW...so must be "da man" who "am keeping me down...."

entartet17

To record a police officers voice using say a cell phone (iphone) do I have to tell them that I am doing that or ask their permission to do so??

Not in Colorado. As long as one person (you in this case) knows the conversation is being recorded, it is completely legal. Other states have varying laws.