• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time for a trip

crunch14

Tomorrow afternoon I'm heading off for Deer season with, among other items, my 4" GP100. The weather should be nice so I'll probably be OC the whole way from Redmond to B.F.E. north of Omak.

I'll finish the grocery shoppin near Redmond Ridge, gas in Sultan where I'll meet up with my cousin, dinner probably at the Arby's in Wenatchee, and gas again in Omak, then it's off to camp. I'll be OC the whole week, some reports of cougar, which aren't legal to shoot during deer season WTF, and wolves in the area too. Thanks to CORBON for their 200grn LFNHC, just hope I don't have to use one or three for self preservation. But if a deer is within 35yds, that would be just dandy.

Then the 24th it will be the same route home. This will be my fist real OC trip. Last year the weather was nasty so I had a good size jacket on. Lets hope it all goes good.

Dain Bramage

The Okanogan should be beautiful this time of year. Good luck and stay safe. Give us an update when you get back.

I'll be doing the usual local, weekend day-hunting, probably around Sultan. I've never filled my tag, but it beats a day at the office.

oneeyeross

Ah, the Sunny Okanogan. Born in Tonasket, raised in Omak. Wishing I could move back there. But, on the other hand, you don't have to shovel rain...

Good luck on the deer. You after white tail or muley?

Trigger Dr

Well, I went north of Winthrop. In the "general" area of Billy Goat Pass. Luck was with me and my 45'70 Sharps drew blood.
jim.jpg

Leatherneck

Nice looking trophy Trigger Dr!

I was out last weekend and didn't even SEE a deer. Didn't see anything with 4 legs for that matter.
Oh wait, someone brought their dog to the lake we were camping next to.

Last edited:

jbone

I’ve been feeling lately that small game hunting is the gate-way drug to bigger game, and myself graduating into Deer. Was thinking the Savage Edge in .308, appears to be an inexpensive introductory rifle that may fit my budget, or would a Big 5 sporting goods 99 dollar Mosin Nagant be just as good?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Mosin

I have four, three with original wood and matching serial numbers. The fourth does not have matching numbers, so I sporterized it with synthetic stock and scope.. Got it pretty dialed in I think.

amlevin

I’ve been feeling lately that small game hunting is the gate-way drug to bigger game, and myself graduating into Deer.

You're right. Keep it up and you'll be hooked. Next step will be one of those big "Rocky Mountain Game Ranch Elk Hunts", a boar hunt in Arkansas, Moose in Alaska, and because you want to really go to the edge, a big Brownie in Alsaka or Canada.

Pretty soon you'll have enough trophy's you'll run out of room or the wife will have left you because of your "Hunting Habit" and then you can put them up anywhere you want.

It all starts with shooting bunny's or ground hogs. Think about that.

Stretch

Funny, this was my first year for deer and I had a great time with it. I suppose popping birds with my pellet gun at 15 was the gateway. I ended up buying a 300 Win Mag and really have enjoyed it.

crunch14

Sorry for takin so long to finish this off been busy gettin ready for Elk season since I got back from deer camp.

OC wise it couldn't have gone better. I ended up going to the Duvall Safeway since they had block ice and nobody seemed to notice there. Ended up running into my cousin at the gas station in Sultan due to both of us getting a late start. Due to the impending darkness we decided to just motor all the way to Omak for the final fill up and 24 miles later we were pullin into camp. My Dad and a family friend already had their stuff set up and drinks waiting so we relaxed for a few, had a bite to eat and crashed out to set up in the daylight.

Got my new (to me) Rainier tent set up friday morning and verified zero on our rifles before my Uncle Ray and a few other family friends arrived that evening. OC'd the whole time along with my Uncle without anyone we talked to even batting an eye, including the game warden.

One afternoon my Dad and I wanted to find a new clear-cut we found on google earth. So I fired up the Tacoma, grabbed a map and we went off looking. On the way we passed a game warden comming towards us who wanted to check tags and all that. Which actually came as a relief to me since we hadn't seen a game warden up there for 10ish years. When he walked up to the truck I said "hi" and he asked to see that our rifle chambers were clear and magazines empty, and to check our tags. I told him that for his and my safety I had a revolver on my hip. He said "Thats fine, You don't need a permit so I won't ask for one. Just don't reach for it and we'll all be fine." Apparently the day before he stopped to check a guy and when the guy got out he pulled out his pistol to show the officer his fancy new custom wood grips! Needless to say the pucker factor was high for the officer. We had a laugh at the stupidity of some people and chatted for 5-10 minutes, he also told us how to identify wolf poop for other predator poop, then went on our way. Great to see that the officer knew the laws esp. 9.41.060 Line (8).

We got quite a few grouse and rabbits for camp meat but didn't see anything but lots of does and a few spikes. A couple of times I ran accross LARGE coyote tracks, and a few sets of bobcat or lynx tracks. The last day we decided to hunt an area we hadn't been to for a number of years. Well didn't see much deer sign that day but my cousin and I found 5 piles of bear dung, 2 piles of cat dung, 4 piles of wolf poop and 4 piles of coyote dung. The annoying thing is that was the ONLY day I didn't throw my predator calls in my pocket DOH!

Due to the incomming storm we bugged out on Sat. and everyone decided to convoy to Poteros and we ate at the River restraunt before heading our seperate ways. The waitress's eyes bugged out a bit when I took off my vest and sat down but she didn't say anything and the food was AWESOME.

I hope you folks had better luck with the deer than we did.

Someone asked what we were going for... Primarily Mulies (3pt. min) but if a spike white tail showed up I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. Most of our hunting is up around the 4,000-6000 foot level.

Unfortunately the 3 grouse I got were too far to use the .38fmj I brought. But thats ok since I always carry some steel for my .30-06 for them. Goes right through without blowing them to smithereens.

crunch14

HAHA Yes indeed I did. Man that hill was so full of predators I'm thinking of heading out there after Elk season to try and bag a few carnivores and maybe an omnivore. Since I'm out of work I might as well do somethin useful right?