• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are there any other females who open carry? Why or why not?

klbrand90

So far, I seem to be the only woman(other than LEO's obviously) who open carry's. Am I wrong?
I DO know that more women would open carry if it weren't such a big issue to see a woman OC'ing. When my husband and I go out(Hollowpoint38) and he is the only one OC'ing, we recieve little to no attention. But the second I'm carrying, it seems like everybody is "put off" if you will, by this. Is it really that rare to see a woman who doesn't mind letting people know she carries?(instead of just hiding it in their purse)?

AL Ranger

You aren't alone. One member's, Hollowpoint38's, wife OCs at some of our Birmingham meets. Also, AL Ranger's wife OCs up in Huntsville.

Mcdonalk, KLBrand90 IS Hollowpoint38's wife! And Rangerette is getting there. She has Open Carried once but she's getting more comfortable with it all the time. I can't wait for the stares when we go to Larry's Pistol Store to put some time in at the range. I hope there are other women there when we go in. She now carries around the house to get used to the weight. Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:

AL Ranger

Rangerette has open carried twice now and is working on doing it more often. I don't know if anyone has noticed because I'm not checking everyone around here, but I'm sure she gets a few looks.

Daylen

Rangerette has open carried twice now and is working on doing it more often. I don't know if anyone has noticed because I'm not checking everyone around here, but I'm sure she gets a few looks.

If so its probably because the pistol is PINK. Many people are not yet used to such a color on arms... Although perhaps more of us should have pink handles, how could anyone claim intimidation a pink handled gun?

XD40coyote

Not in or from Alabama, but I OC in PA, and where legal, in Maryland ( on own land, and while trapping).

Most people don't notice it period. When trapping and on foot there aren't many people around, also it is usually too cold to OC then so I am CCing ( also legal while trapping). Those who do notice it tend to either give me the thumbs up or they act giddy. I had 2 phone repairmen at the house yesterday and 1 saw it right away and he started acting kinda silly. Maybe it sort of shocked him, I mean it's not something you see everyday, esp in MD. He wasn't scared though. I told him it wasn't due to service people like himself so much, but that I am way back here and alone most of the time. Also my "magical anti fox talisman", since the poultry nabbers have been nearly nonexistant since I started carrying daily. I think he also made a joke about mt lions, mentioning some game cam footage of a supposed one some guy caught on a game cam in the next county over.

In PA, it gets barely noticed. Bunches of ex MDers living in that area to boot.

MamaLiberty

I OC every day, everywhere I go here in NE Wyoming. Nobody pays much attention anymore and I'm well known here. Went to a "town hall" type meeting for a write in candidate a few weeks ago and was tickled to see another woman open carrying, along with about a dozen of the men. No idea how many there were CC, but knew at least four probably were.

No pink for this lady. I carry an XD compact .45 - all black.

Why? Because I own my life and I am the only one who is responsible for it. Even though we don't have much crime here, it CAN happen anywhere. The whole county was shocked last week when a woman - unarmed, of course - was stabbed in her garage right here in my neighborhood! (The local paper is a weekly and reading the whole story requires a subscription.) The items change frequently, so it may not be there long.

Stabbing spouse stifles investigation
http://www.newslj.com/index.html
The Sheriff's Office knows that a woman was stabbed on the outskirts of Newcastle in the early morning hours of October 25, but Sheriff Bill Ware said that deputies are having a hard time furthering their investigation into the case, in part because of a reluctance of the victim's husband to allow them to look for evidence at the address where the crime allegedly took place.

Carry, ladies. It's important.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Stabbing spouse stifles investigation
http://www.newslj.com/index.html
The Sheriff's Office knows that a woman was stabbed on the outskirts of Newcastle in the early morning hours of October 25, but Sheriff Bill Ware said that deputies are having a hard time furthering their investigation into the case, in part because of a reluctance of the victim's husband to allow them to look for evidence at the address where the crime allegedly took place.

Carry, ladies. It's important.

Somewhat OT MamaLiberty but WTF is with this reluctance thing - it's a crime scene is it not. A warrant should be easy to obtain, I would think.

If my spouse had been stabbed at home, I assure you the whole house would have been searched, computers seized, et cetera in very short order.

Maybe I am missing important info. :uhoh:

MamaLiberty

Somewhat OT MamaLiberty but WTF is with this reluctance thing - it's a crime scene is it not. A warrant should be easy to obtain, I would think.

If my spouse had been stabbed at home, I assure you the whole house would have been searched, computers seized, et cetera in very short order.

Maybe I am missing important info. :uhoh:

You are not alone in wondering this. So far we don't know who these people are and have no clue. The paper came out yesterday evening and I'm hoping I'll learn more as soon as I get to town and can buy one. Hope Bob printed extras!

This has shaken up the whole town. We have not even had a criminal jury trial here in more than 10 years, that I know of! A "crime wave" is a DUI and a bar fight in the same week.