• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seward Park Jogger Attacked

Tawnos

Last thing I want to say in this novel is that I find it silly that now she's going to avoid one certain trail, but I'm assuming that all other trails are fair game for her to run? Someone was just talking about this psychological phenomenon the other day. That is, thinking something is more likely to happen because it sticks out in your mind. The Forza Coffee Shop massacre is a prime example of it. And it's the same thing that happened at Crystal Mt. when an avalanche occurred on a certain slope and someone got buried and now that slope has never been reopened. But slopes right by that one have avalanches all the time!

That was me. It's called the misleading vividness or spotlight fallacy.

jt59

Psychology 101 - If you do not think about it, it ceases to exist for you. It is the "out of sight, out of mind" thing to the extreme.

Same for businesses and public entities - remove the source of the tragedy from the public's mind and it will cease to be an issue.

Or replace it with a new one...it's called the news cycle....or if they have more time, and want to take it to a higher level as an issue, it's called the "Overton Window"

amlevin

Or replace it with a new one...it's called the news cycle....or if they have more time, and want to take it to a higher level as an issue, it's called the "Overton Window"

Some people approach an issue using variations of the "window".

"Other formulations of the process created after Overton's death add the concept of moving the window, such as deliberately promoting ideas even less acceptable than the previous "outer fringe" ideas, with the intention of making the current fringe ideas acceptable by comparison (This might be a form of the “Door-in-the-face technique" of persuasion.)."

Could this be the intent of those who go seeking confrontation???