• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which .45 would you get?

onlurker

Well you asked, which .45 I'd get. So I'm telling you Springfield XD45. Don't take this wrong as most do that I do love a good ole M1911 variety. Just would rather have 13+1 then 7+1. Especially when the zombies are out there. And then of course I get the argument about plastic guns. sheesh

I'm not opposed to plastic, I have a couple of 9mm pistols with plastic frames (one of which is an XD FWIW). I just know that my accuracy sucks with a plastic double-stack .45, I am literally all over the target.

230therapy

If you're going to get a production 1911, buy a Colt. They're the real deal, not some mere copy :banana::banana::banana::banana: Seriously, though, they're quite good guns.

I had an XSE in stainless and it was very nice. Shot anything I put in it with the factory magazines.

I just bought this Colt World War One reproduction:

Colt-WW-I-2.jpg

I also highly recommend the SIG P220. I've had seven or so now and I keep a W. German model around.

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I'm not opposed to plastic, I have a couple of 9mm pistols with plastic frames (one of which is an XD FWIW). I just know that my accuracy sucks with a plastic double-stack .45, I am literally all over the target.

I'm opposed to plastic for the simple reason that Im missing a great deal of cartilage in my partially fused right wrist and need all of the help I can get with felt recoil.

45acpForMe

FNP45 15+1 DA/SA decocker safety ambidextrous interchangeable back straps
very comfortable to shoot light felt recoil
easy take down
cabelas $700 120 lumen light and laser $70

002.jpg

Yes the FNP-45 is great! It is a little wider than a P220 but very much like it. I keep saying the FNP-45 is something like a child that a H&K USP and Sig P220 would have! :)

Two things to know about it though, 1) there are models out there that do not have a safety (only decocker) so get a USG version if you want the safety, and 2) currently there is no SERPA for it so you would have to go with something like Safariland or other holster. Blackhawk is considering making a SERPA for it and I am waiting for that to be available.

I have the non-safety version of the FNP-45 all black. I like it alot and will carry it more when the SERPA becomes available. It is definitely cheaper (pricewise) than a P220 and many 1911's. I just wish it came with factory installed night sights.

1245A Defender

eh huh

i carry mine in a belt slider, but not with the light on it, its too wide at the muzzle!
im gonna make a custom holster to carry with the light/laser.
originally they were made without the safety, then the usg with safety,
but i think they just stopped the no safety model,
mine has the safety, but is not marked as USG!
my pic shows the lever up, in the safety on position.

230therapy

If it's a choice between the SIG P220 and the Springfield Mil-Spec, buy the SIG. It's a better gun out of the box. 1911's can be finicky and require a bit of attention. The Mil-Spec is on the lower end of their spectrum. That's not to say it'll be a bad gun; it's just the nature of the 1911 game. Colt and Springer are both putting out good guns, but on the higher ends of their spectrum. I recommend you look at the "Loaded" line of Springfield Armory 1911's. Also look at the Colt, Dan Wesson, and a few others. All these guns are in a similar price bracket as a new P220 (depending upon features).

You already know how to deal with the double action trigger on the SIGs and you have gear that will fit. Seems like a no-brainer.

Read these articles if you're going to get a 1911:

http://www.10-8performance.com/Articles.html

Just be aware that this is going to cost a bunch more in ammo, range fees, gunsmithing, shipping, magazines, gear, etc.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Neither

I know people swear by their 1911s, so don't shoot me if you're one of those, as I personally think the 1911 is a fine weapon, and the fact there are so many originals, replicas, and offshoots floating around bears testamony to the original design of the firearm!

Having dodged that bullet (I hope)...

The 1911 was designed via mil-spec through a process beginning in the 1890s, and enjoys a fascinating history - in fact, it worked so well it remained largely unchanged throughout World Wars I and II! I've fired a friend's original model M1911, and was suitably impressed, even though he only let me fire a single magazine. That he did that much I'm thankful he was that good of a friend.

I've since fired several 1911's, including two of his models from the (I think 60s) and late-80s).

I find the following Wikipedia entry informative:

"Dissatisfaction with the stopping power of the 9mm Parabellum cartridge used in the Beretta M9has actually promoted re-adoption of handguns based on the .45 ACP cartridge such as the M1911 design, along with other handguns, among USSOCOM units in recent years, though the M9 remains predominant both within SOCOM and in the US military in general."
- Source

To be perfectly honest with you, I LIKE the 1911 design. Solid, decent handling, and packs a punch. But for carry, I prefer the 9mm. Part of SOC's and the Marine's decision to go with the .45 is that they're limited by international military-use convention to FMJ rounds. In that type of round, effective stopping power begins with the .45 caliber diameter.

However, we can use JHP rounds here at home, which have the same or better stopping power as a .45 ACP FMJ round. This, and the fact that you can carry 16+1 shots in most 9mm vs the 9+1 in most 1911s is why the FBI and the vast majority of civilian law enforcement agencies switched from 1911s to .38s, to 9mms.

The only reason the military maintains any hold to the 1911 is because as a Geneva-mandated FMJ round, it alone holds the punch that's required.

I think it's time for a change, but will address this in a separate thread.

onlurker

I recommend you look at the "Loaded" line of Springfield Armory 1911's. Also look at the Colt, Dan Wesson, and a few others. All these guns are in a similar price bracket as a new P220 (depending upon features)..

It is rather difficult for me to justify those prices as this would be not much more than an expensive paper hole punch, and is why I am considering a used P220. In this case, the lack of reliability becomes an annoyance at worse.

However, we can use JHP rounds here at home, which have the same or better stopping power as a .45 ACP FMJ round. This, and the fact that you can carry 16+1 shots in most 9mm vs the 9+1 in most 1911s is why the FBI and the vast majority of civilian law enforcement agencies switched from 1911s to .38s, to 9mms.

As I mentioned above, this is going to be mostly a range weapon. I might carry it if I I feel like changing it up a bit, but it is certainly not a primary carry weapon, rather a 5th or 6th tier option. I've got a few .40 and 9mm options loaded with JHP rounds before I would truly "need" to go for the .45 auto.