• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IDPA practice session 10/17!!!

heresyourdipstickjimmy

SOF-USA is holding an indoor IDPA practice session on 10/17 folks. This is open to the public just like the Bear Creek matches are...no range membership or IDPA membership required.

What: IDPA practice session - open to the public
When: 10/17/10
Where: SOF-USA's 16 lane indoor range in Ozark, Mo (www.sof-usa.com)
Time: 4pm-6pm - shooter's brief at 4pm, so don't dawdle

The Intro to IDPA class is not required, BUT I strongly suggest that if you are not familiar with IDPA or their rules that you take the extra 30 minutes and attend the Intro class. Even though the class roster is full at this time, PM me if you are interested and I can talk to range owners to see if I can accommodate. I would prefer to accommodate than a shooter be uncomfortable with the event.

You will need the same equipment as you would for an IDPA match, however at this time and due to the Intro class, I will be flexible on the equipment though you should expect me to show the students what deficiencies will be penalties. It's not meant to call you out or penalize you, it's meant to use you as a training aid and I always thank folks for that. Expect a magazine change folks, the scenario will require one. You'll get the details on Sunday at the briefing.

Ammo requirment: please bring 50 rounds. You likely will not use that much, but if you get multiple chances to make the run then you'll obviously want plenty of ammo.

Since this is the first one at this location, I may give a few warnings rather than penalties on 1st runs, subsequent runs will receive penalties. This is so I can make newer shooters aware that he/she could incur a penalty for what they did or didn't do...After Action Review will be conducted during score calculation and taping so shooters can be made aware of potential penalties.

That said, a warning will only be given 1 time then the penalty will be incurred. If you've been to a Bear Creek match and I recognize you, don't expect me to be leniant as you should already know what you're doing. I expect the BCT veterans to set an example and set a standard.

The scenario will be simple while being somewhat stressful at the same time right out of the gate. If you attend, even to spectate, there will be a suggestion box for your input on what you might want in a scenario the next time we do this. If we use your scenario we'll name it after you...this goes for individual targets as well, if you present something different and unique your name goes on it. For example: the pop-up is going to be "Throwing Stones", I may even dedicate it to "Keith Stone" from the Keystone commercials just for a giggle.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Turn out was about what we had hoped for...roughly 25 shooters including 4 SOF-USA employees. Some came just to shoot, some came to log a score card to challenge themselves later.

Thanks to all who attended and a big thanks to those who helped set up following a cancellation by my target guy with a sick kiddo. He wasn't the only one that missed out either, one of the NG fellas had to suffer through a video and probably won't hear the end of it for a while.

Here's what they were up against, keep in mind we were quite confined side to side though we had almost 30 yards in distance we could work with.

6 rounds in 1st magazine, 10 rounds (or division capacity) in 2nd magazine. This was so everyone could get the experience of a magazine change and we would not need to accommodate cover in a different location for semiautos and revolvers. Otherwise they may have been able to use the 10+1 rule on the 1st mag and cleared the stage.

T1: Open a door which activates an up-down target that exposes from behind cover. Limited exposure, but enough to get at least 2-3 good shots placed.
T2: On the move, take out a target that is exposed as you seek cover at T3.
T3/T4: Hostage overlap 50/50. Target fired upon from a portal just below shoulder height. Mandatory reload behind cover.
T5: Crossing the range to take cover behind stored barrels. Slice the pie behind cover through T7.
T6/T7: Head shot only on T7 due to hostage overlap.

The scenario wasn't a walk in the park, however if you took your time and didn't get your heart racing or an adrenaline dump then you could put the shots right in the "0" zones without issue. The door got a lot of folks. They discovered that when they knew the target was there that their adrenaline and heart rates were increased considerably, thus the flinging of the door which finally knocked it out of square. If you considered it was meant to illustrate you could be walking out your front door and BG could be hiding behind your garbage cans, the reality that most had different reactions when knowledgeable than if it were real-world.

It's difficult to come up with something fun indoors that will be within the rulebook and within the confines of the range. So far, the up-down was a success and over all it seems that everyone was happy with the scenario as it wasn't difficult, but it posed something a little different and it was confined indoors.