Thread: Ohio Supremes consider Cleveland's challenge of statewide preemption...

Ohio Supremes consider Cleveland's challenge of statewide preemption...

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet...

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7481

"Ohio Supremes consider Cleveland's challenge of statewide preemption of local gun control laws

The Ohio Supreme Court heard arguments from the City of Cleveland in defense of the city's assault-weapons ban and registration requirement for handguns on Tuesday, as well as reasons why the State Attorney General's office says the anti-gun laws should be struck down.

From The Columbus Dispatch:

Cleveland officials said their local regulations would not violate a 2007 state law that attempted to establish a uniform set of rules governing gun ownership in Ohio.

"Really what this law is trying to do is take Cleveland out of the business of regulating for the safety and welfare of its own citizens," Gary Singletary, Cleveland's assistant law director, told the justices."

More at link.

I really hope they don't win this, any ohio people care to chime in and give us some input?

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I really hope they don't win this, any ohio people care to chime in and give us some input?
    Legally speaking, Cleveland is climbing Mt. Everest with Rosie O'Donnell handcuffed to their ankle. All recent similar cases indicate that their prospects for success are dim.

DeAnimator is correct!
    Cleveland Ordinances can not withstand a Firearm Challenge in Ohio, in light of Ohio RC 9.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Legally speaking, Cleveland is climbing Mt. Everest with Rosie O'Donnell handcuffed to their ankle. All recent similar cases indicate that their prospects for success are dim.
    Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    DeAnimator is correct!
    Cleveland Ordinances can not withstand a Firearm Challenge in Ohio, in light of Ohio RC 9.68!
    That's what I was hoping to hear, wasn't sure if your Supreme Court had any anti-gun activist judges that could actually rule in clevelands favor

Watching the video, it seems like only 1 of the judges was even considering buying it....and even he's a stretch. I'd say this is over before it's begun. This is just Cleveland trying to delay the inevitable and politicians in that area trying to cover their a****

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    DeAnimator is correct!
    Actually, it's ORC 9.68 that is being challenged in this case. Since three justices voted against OFCC in the Clyde case two years ago, I don't see this as the slam dunk that others seem to believe. I've read the legal briefs as they were filed. Has anyone else done that?

Quote Originally Posted by RT48 View Post
    Actually, it's ORC 9.68 that is being challenged in this case. Since three justices voted against OFCC in the Clyde case two years ago, I don't see this as the slam dunk that others seem to believe. I've read the legal briefs as they were filed. Has anyone else done that?
    Afraid not. Unfortunately, some of us have a life.