Thread: What does the term e check mean in its fullest application?

kittyhawk63

What does the term e check mean in its fullest application?

If I open carry and have an e check by a PO, what does the term mean, and how far can a PO legally go if I am fully compliant to what is "required" by law? I ask about the e check after several hours of reading and not finding a direct answer. It may be answered; I just have not found it. Thank you for your help.

Edit: What does the "e" stand for? Sorry for not making this clear.
    Last edited by kittyhawk63; 10-14-2010 at 07:50 PM.

One extreme is, "Hi, have a nice day."
    Ask Sam about the other extreme.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Penal Code

Quote Originally Posted by kittyhawk63 View Post
    If I open carry and have an e check by a PO, what does the term mean, and how far can a PO legally go if I am fully compliant to what is "required" by law? I ask about the e check after several hours of reading and not finding a direct answer. It may be answered; I just have not found it. Thank you for your help.

"e" refers to the sub section of the the penal code (12031) which gives officers the authority to check the status (loaded or not) of your weapon.
    As stated by others, this does not give them authority to search for or record your serial #.

FYI: When e checked most prefer to have the officer remove AND replace the weapon into the holster to avoid any accusations of brandishing, and also for safety reasons. ( another officer arriving on scene may see it as a threat if he/she does not know an e check is in progress)

Also as stated above, some will try to overstep their authority and request ID. You should practice the phrases "Am I under arrest?" and "Am I free to go?"

Quote Originally Posted by kittyhawk63 View Post
    California Penal Code 12031(e)
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/wa...ction=retrieve

kittyhawk63
    Thank you "all" for your answers and the link.

Edit. The link does not work "for me." All I get is "WAIS document retrieval" on the TAB. There is a blank page. However, I can now find the 12031 (e). Thank you again.
    Last edited by kittyhawk63; 10-21-2010 at 11:24 PM.