• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry loaded?

4angrybadgers

Just a little unclear about the open carry law in North Carolina. Can your gun be loaded when open carrying?
You'll probably get better answers by checking the North Carolina section of OCDO. Go to the main forum page, scroll down a ways and you'll see the NC section.

so colt 45 in both holsters, only one is a pistol?
:lol:

Last edited:

tcmech

I carry a glock 36 and it makes an absolutely horrible club so I need to keep it loaded. It also doesn't hold many bullets so I keep an extra one in the chamber

oak1971

Usually loaded. If it's a deal where I have to go from carry to to transport and back, then just a loaded mag and an empty chamber.

rotorhead

Just a little unclear about the open carry law in North Carolina. Can your gun be loaded when open carrying?

Welcome Dixie!

Yes, your gun can be (and I believe should) be loaded. However, go with what you are comfortable with. :)

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder

Yes. Why does this question come up all the time? What makes this myth persist?

Obviously a few states have some "unloaded gun" wrinkles in the law, e.g., california in incorporated areas, Utah for folks without conceal permits while on foot, etc., but generally, gun carriers can carry guns loaded in the USA.

COMMANDER1911

I was stationed at Camp Lejeune NC, and my firearm was always condition one (locked cocked and ready to rock) And I moved back to GA and carry my 1911 hammer back safety on. OCing an empty weapon is more dangerous than OCing no weapon at all.

Brimstone Baritone

Oh, trust me. They think UOC is dangerous, but not for the same reasons you do. How dare you carry a gun, even unloaded! You have a loaded magazine in your other pocket, so there's nothing stopping you from loading the gun and killing everyone. Somebody has to stop this menace of unloaded guns.

They can't have someone killing all their criminals, that's their largest voting population. :p