• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New 10mm coming out...

Dreamer

Well, not entirely new, but a new, limited edition model...

Tom Gresham of "GunTalk" radio show and podcast has designed a 10mm in coordination with Kimber based on a bob-tail full-size 1911 platform. It's a real looker, and is a limited edition. It's a little pricey, but no more than any other high-end Kimber, at $1599.99.

http://www.durysguns.com/inventory/category/gt10

It's being distributed through Dury's Gun Shop, so you'll need to have it transferred to your local FFL. Pretty tempting. If I only has the scratch, I'd be ordering one of these for sure...

HankT

State Researcher
Thanks.

Not very many new models coming out in 10mm. Am always on the lookout for new ones but seem to have more luck with the older ones.

I wish S&W would come out with a 10mm 1911 . . .

HankT

State Researcher
It's a shame the Dan Wesson 10mm Razorback was discontinued. :(

I like that gun a lot. Have come close to snagging one in EC at a reasonable price a couple of times, but they eluded me. Have read of intermittent quality problems with it, though.

I have a DW 10mm Pointman 7 that shoots really well and hasn't given me any troubles.

The Don

Glock 29

Anyone have any experience with the Glock 29? It's their subcompact 10mm model.

I'm looking to get something new and small and I was looking at the Glock 30 until I started reading up on the 10mm.

Thoughts?

Dreamer

Anyone have any experience with the Glock 29? It's their subcompact 10mm model.

I'm looking to get something new and small and I was looking at the Glock 30 until I started reading up on the 10mm.

Thoughts?

I own a Glock 36--their single-stack sub-compact .45acp. With the stock mags, it's nearly impossible to shoot with any sort of accuracy or reliability. Only after I put on Pearce "+1" base plates on my mags did it become managable, accurate, and stop having regular FTEs from unintentional "limp wristing" due the lack of grip leverage from not having enough length to put my pinky on the grip...

I owned a Colt Delta Elite 1911 chambered in 10mm several years ago. It was a FINE pistol, and was VERY accurate, reliable as the tides, and a joy to shoot. IT was also a full-size all-steel 1911.

From my experience with the Glock 36, I can only venture a guess (and this is just a guess, based on MY opinion) that a subcompact Glock chambered in 10mm with full-power loads would be essentially unshootable. Or at least, it would be painful, unreliable, and a general PITA to shoot, which sort of negates all the advantages of owning a Glock...

If I were going to buy a Glock in 10mm (and I've been seriously considering it lately), I would get the full-sized model--the G20. More grip length, longer slide, and more mass and weight--it would be a LOT easier (and WAY more fun) to shoot with full-strength 10mm loads...

But that's just my opinion...

I'm a HUGE 10mm fan, but the main reason I don't own one is because it's nearly impossible to buy amo for them at general retailers. Essentially ALL the available ammo for 10mm comes with "premium" pricetags--even the ammo being sold as "target" or "range" ammo. If I wanted to spend premium ammo prices for every round I shot at the range, I'd just get a common caliber, and feed it nothing but premium ammo-but I can't afford to do that...

Last edited:

10A

I own a Glock 36--their single-stack sub-compact .45acp. With the stock mags, it's nearly impossible to shoot with any sort of accuracy or reliability. Only after I put on Pearce "+1" base plates on my mags did it become managable, accurate, and stop having regular FTEs from unintentional "limp wristing" due the lack of grip leverage from not having enough length to put my pinky on the grip...

I have a 36, stock mags, no problems shooting it. I did drop in a connector and trigger spring because I tend to flinch with a long pull stock trigger (any Glock), but I have 3 inch groups at 25 yards. Not a sharpshooting handgun by any means but certainly capable. It's my pirmary CC pistol since it's very easy to conceal, and having 7 .45 rounds is just fine by me.

I own a G20, and I've shot the 29. From my experience it depends on 2 things: What load you're firing and how well you handle recoil. A lot of 10mm cartridges you buy off the shelf are loaded to .40S&W levels. I think the manufacturers just find it easy to run the longer case and keep everything else the same. With .40 sized loads it's snappy but not bad recoil, close to a snubby .38, and I imagine just like a G27 though I've no experience with that. With a fully loaded round it really wants to jump, a lot like a full sized .44 mag. Personally I don't like that much recoil, but to each his own.

I don't recommend a 10mm to anyone who doesn't reload, it's just hard to find good 10mm cartridges.

CO-Joe

The gun mentioned in the original post sounds cool, but it is very expensive and 10mm is too powerful a round for self-defense.

I disagree. Almost all handgun rounds are underpowered. 10mm is just less so. It's roughly in line with .357 Magnum, power wise, just a little bigger in diameter. A .357 Mag was the policeman's best friend before the revolution of the double stack 9mm.

You also have to recognize, there's a wide variance in 10mm performance. Some rounds are barely more powerful than .40 S&W. Some are more powerful than .357 Mag 180gr hunting loads. Some like the 175gr Winchester Silvertip fall somewhere in the middle----A pistol with good 10mm load is the confluence of two phenomena 1) being reasonably powerful 2) having good capacity. There's no reason that it's more expensive than .45 ACP or .40 other than it's not as widely used, and if you look hard you can find it priced similarly to .45 ACP

kwikrnu

Banned
I disagree. Almost all handgun rounds are underpowered. 10mm is just less so. It's roughly in line with .357 Magnum, power wise, just a little bigger in diameter. A .357 Mag was the policeman's best friend before the revolution of the double stack 9mm.

You also have to recognize, there's a wide variance in 10mm performance. Some rounds are barely more powerful than .40 S&W. Some are more powerful than .357 Mag 180gr hunting loads. Some like the 175gr Winchester Silvertip fall somewhere in the middle----A pistol with good 10mm load is the confluence of two phenomena 1) being reasonably powerful 2) having good capacity. There's no reason that it's more expensive than .45 ACP or .40 other than it's not as widely used, and if you look hard you can find it priced similarly to .45 ACP

Maybe I was a little to quick to judge the 10mm. In fact everyone, at a minimum, should carry a 10mm handgun. If I had a choice I'd probably carry an ak handgun.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The 10mm bug is forcing me to buy Ballistic Tupperware... I just cannot afford the 1911 conversions. The S&W 1066/1006 is so brick-looking.....

And that means I'll have to get a plastic .40 and 9mm, and then Kel Tek Sub 2000s to match those magazines... And then HoMeBoY sights on the side.... And then probably a Tec9 and a MAC...... Ugh! where will I get the money for all that?

No wonder I'm so poor. :p

curtiswr

The 10mm bug is forcing me to buy Ballistic Tupperware... I just cannot afford the 1911 conversions. The S&W 1066/1006 is so brick-looking.....

And that means I'll have to get a plastic .40 and 9mm, and then Kel Tek Sub 2000s to match those magazines... And then HoMeBoY sights on the side.... And then probably a Tec9 and a MAC...... Ugh! where will I get the money for all that?

No wonder I'm so poor. :p

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-steel-description.html

Brian D.

The Glock model 29 is almost as easy to shoot with most loads as its big brother in 10mm, the model 20. (I've shot those two variants using a PACT timer, doing the same drills with each gun. Times were nearly alike and double taps were only a little further apart using the 29.) Something about the dual recoil spring set up in their compacts seems to contribute to this shootability.

The Glock in 10mm is my choice when carrying in places where there are predatory animals bigger than humans. I switch to a FMJ 200 grain handload for "woods time" and back to a conventional JHP loadout upon returning to town.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
Is the Bud's gun shop a good dealer of firearms to do business with?

I've bought 3-4 guns from them, one new the rest used and only one problem. The gun was listed as stainless, but it was nickel. I asked for $20 and they sent me a check. The shipping is free and they are very quick to ship. The prices are pretty low compared to other dealers I've seen.

VAopencarry

Be very, very wary of the EAA 10MM. I wouldn't touch a used one with a 10 foot pole. You could get lucky but they have a lot of QC issue's and EAA customer service blows.

As far as the new Kimber, no big deal, it's just another 1911 in 10 MM.

We need a quality polymer in 10MM, like Springfield XD or S&W. Glock's the only thing out there and not everyone likes that Kool Aid.

It's been awhile since I bought 10 ammo but Georgia Arms makes quality 10 at a fair price. Their 10 ammo was about the same as 9 off the shelf at a gun store. It's moderately hot, I'd go to Double Tap for the good stuff, but it is pricey to shoot often.

Last edited: