• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A quote from our greatest president.

Daylen

Washington had no problem with theft and violence against people doing nobody any harm. He was a thief and tyrant. Look up the whiskey rebellion.

no just a human. he also kept his army from killing congress and probably starting a military government when there was no money to pay with.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the teeth of liberty." George Washington

This one has been debunked. There is a pro-gun website that keeps up with this sort of thing--false quotes--to keep us on the truthful path. And, that is something you will never see out of the anti-gunners: debunking their own falsehoods.

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html

But, welcome to the forum, nonetheless!!

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
A bit harsher judgement http://stason.org/TULARC/society/pr...-Pious-Frauds-Or-If-It-Sounds-Too-Good-T.html

We are sooo pious here.

talk.politics.guns Official Pro-gun FAQ said:
This quotation, sometimes called the "liberty teeth" quote,
appears nowhere in Washington's papers or speeches, and contains several historical anachronisms: the reference to "prarie wagon" in an America which had yet to even begin settling the Great Plains (which were owned by France at the time), the reference to "the Pilgrims" which implies a modern historical perspective, and
particularly the attempt by "Washington" to defend the utility of firearms (by_use_of_statistics!) to an audience which would have used firearms in their daily lives to obtain food, defend against hostile Indians, and which had only recently won a war for independence. The "99 99/100 percent" is also an odd phrase for 18th century America, which tended not to use fractional percentages. It's clear that "Washington" is addressing "gun control" arguments which wouldn't exist for another couple of centuries, not to mention doing so in a style that is uncharacteristic of the period, and uncharacteristic of Washington's addresses to Congress, both of which exhibited a high degree of formality. This is a false quote, but bits and pieces of it still continue to crop up from time to time. Most recently, this quote has been seen circulated on flyers at gun shows attributed to Neil Knox's Firearms Coalition, but Knox isn't the original source of this "speech," and even national publications, such as_Playboy_magazine, have been snared by it. ("Playboy_published the "quote" in December 1995 as part of an article entitled "Once and for All: What the Founding Fathers Said About Guns". After consulting with an assistant editor of the George Washington Papers at the University of Virginia,"Playboy_published a lengthy correction in March 1996.)

Brimstone Baritone

I prefer:
George Washington said:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

So I was shocked and dismayed to learn it was part of the fake 'liberty's teeth' statement. I am sad now.

ETA, I think this thread belongs in the Social Lounge...

Last edited: