• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco Club in Matthews N.C.

Ovid

I was approached by an employee and told that I would have to leave the Costco Club because I was carrying a firearm. I spoke with the on duty manager and she also confirmed that it was the policy of Costco that no one would be allowed to carry a firearm there unless they were law enforcement personnel. I left and telephoned the corporate office in Seattle, Wa. They read to me from a letter drafted by Costco attorney's in response to a letter to them from another member who was not pleased with having to leave the club because of carrying a firearm. The letter stated that Costco is a private club and as such have determined that it would be safer for Costco's members if no one were allowed to carry a weapon while in a Costco club unless they were "on-duty" law enforcement personnel. Having heard this response I thanked them and expressed my thoughts about their true lack of concern for the safety of their members and their lack of regard for our second amendment rights.

I really have enjoyed the benefits of Costco membership and have often openly carried my firearm in there with no problem at all. I think that probably it was either that one employee or either a member who complained when they saw me, but in any case it appears that my good value shopping at Costco is over.

Have any of you ever had a similar experience at Costco? Do you think we should have a write in campaign to them?

Ovid

Last edited:

Maverick9110e

HAven't had that experince yet, was never a big costco fan, i always did prefer to shop in BJ's Wholesale. Was there the other day without any issue. But if you have some contact info we could write to i'd be more then happy to send them a nastygram informative email.

chiefjason

You're lucky you made it out alive. IIRC, they will refund the rest of your membership if you want them too. I can't find the link though. My google foo is failing me. They recently took a more hard line anti stance after the shooting in Las Vegas. Oddly enough, they have no issue selling gun safes though.

Dreamer

The letter stated that Costco is a private club and as such have determined that it would be safer for Costco's members if no one were allowed to carry a weapon while in a Costco club unless they were "on-duty" law enforcement personnel.

Actually, this letter is true...

In Las Vegas NV, if you carry in a Costco they just call the cops, evacuate the store, and then the police execute you, if you're carrying lawfully. I can't imagine a more unsafe situation than being shot half a dozen or so times in the back by 3 armed maniacs (two of whom had previously been involved in OTHER questionable shooting) just because I was buying some bottled water and a cooler...

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/25165804/detail.html

Costco's corporate policies make it VERY unsafe for shoppers when someone carries a gun in their store--but the person MOST at risk is the person who is lawfully carrying...

rotorhead

Yeah was gonna say, going to Costco is the last thing I'm ever going to do without a bullet proof vest and an updated will.

lockman

State Researcher
"on-duty" law enforcement

So if a uniformed LEO stopped on the way home to pick up a few items for dinner they would kick him out?

Dreamer

So if a uniformed LEO stopped on the way home to pick up a few items for dinner they would kick him out?

Probably not, and if you witnessed such a situation and had been asked to leave yourself, I would say that is grounds for a Federal 1983 discrimination lawsuit, with a VERY solid argument under the Equal Protection clause.

Keep Alan Gura on Speed Dial, folks... ;)

Last edited: