• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing with a Concealed Weapon Permit

p85

mistaking NY for NC

Please cite-on both points.

First, that it is not illegal to conceal an unloaded rifle.

Second, that it is not legal to carry a long gun in the open in the vehicle.

After careful review of NC statutes, I find myself in error. you may not conceal the long gun in the vehicle. No references to loaded or unloaded.
however nuclear weapons are another matter.

Dreamer

CHP is also singular and the opinion is only one handgun can be concealed. AFAIK noone has been charged so there is no case law to get a clear definition of how many you can conceal.

Please cite!

There is NO quantity restriction in the NC CHP statute. And since our permits in VA are not firearm-specific (tied to a serial number, like in some states such as NY or the way VA was before they went Shall Issue), I can't see how anyone could justify saying a CHP limits one to carrying a single concealed handgun. I know many people who carry a BUG when CCing, and my CC instructor said carrying a main gun and a BUG (both concealed) was legal, and he is a retired Deputy Sheriff...

elixin77

I know a couple people who conceal their primary, and have a secondary concealed as well.

Some on these forums OC with their primary, and conceal with a BUG (not the annoying kind mind you).

If I was financially able to, I wouldn't mind having a small BUG, for those 'just in case' days.

smlawrence

I don't agree with what follows but thought I would post it. Since the letters seem to be so important, I see two letters that I have been told technically answer the question about "How Many" can be carried. Containing the letter A and missing the letter S with the CHP.

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

farkles

I don't agree with what follows but thought I would post it. Since the letters seem to be so important, I see two letters that I have been told technically answer the question about "How Many" can be carried. Containing the letter A and missing the letter S with the CHP.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

Hmmmm...interesting. AND I still would love to see any cases dealing with concealed rifle being in vehicle not being covered under any permit, therefore illegal.

skipbadger

"Why yes! Here is a concealed handgun (pointing to hip). Here is a concealed handgun (pointing to pocket). And here is a concealed handgun (pointing to ankle).

No problem! :banana:

smlawrence

Well I guess it is like everything else and left to interpretation. Thanks to those with helpful info about OC'ing with the Concealed Weapon Permit.

cricketdad

Please cite!

There is NO quantity restriction in the NC CHP statute. And since our permits in VA are not firearm-specific (tied to a serial number, like in some states such as NY or the way VA was before they went Shall Issue), I can't see how anyone could justify saying a CHP limits one to carrying a single concealed handgun. I know many people who carry a BUG when CCing, and my CC instructor said carrying a main gun and a BUG (both concealed) was legal, and he is a retired Deputy Sheriff...

smlawrence provided the cite and every mention in the statute is singular.

Homey

I just found this thread and wanted to comment. Just finished attending my CCP class this weekend, and the instructor made it clear you can carry as many weapons as you wish. He gave an example, " if you want to carry two in an ankle holster, two in the waist ,and two in a double shoulder holster you can."

Also my instructor works for the Raleigh police department.

smlawrence

Hopefully he/she is educating the Raleigh PD as well.

Yea, no kidding, cause I hate to say it but if a LEO was to be of the opinion that you should only be carrying one and he wants to push the opinion, I don't think the answer "My CHP Instructor told me I could" will work with him/her. Some instructors are the same as some Leo's and push their opinion above fact.