Thread: Facebook works to remove anti-gay hate speech. Gun hate speech next? Naaww.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Facebook works to remove anti-gay hate speech. Gun hate speech next? Naaww.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-10-...ay-speech.html
    Quote Originally Posted by AP
    Facebook says its policies prohibit hateful content and it has systems in place to take down such posts as soon as possible.

Banned
    What is hate speech?

I am for the traditional definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman. Is that hate speech?

I never use PCbook...er...facebook. I'm glad that I've never been there.

Caveat: I am not trying to start a discussion on marriage. I am merely giving an example of what some would classify as "hate speech," but which is actually free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    What is hate speech?

I am for the traditional definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman. Is that hate speech?

Caveat: I am not trying to start a discussion on marriage. I am merely giving an example of what some would classify as "hate speech," but which is actually free speech.
    Remember, while on sites like facebook (and even opencarry.org) free speech is not guaranteed. We are subject to the websites guidelines and policies on what can be posted.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Banned
    Of course it isn't guaranteed. I have said so many times myself. However "hate speech" is often used to mean "conservative speech with which I disagree and don't have a rational comeback."

Specific rules against specific speech that runs counter to the ideas of the site are reasonable: On OCDO we are not supposed to bash LEOs in general. On almost any site flaming members is not allowed. On almost any site racial epithets are not allowed. Etc.

However, "hate speech" is a nebulous term that allows arbitrariness on the part of admins and mods. That will allow facebook to skew political speech in any direction they want it to go. That is expected for a political site, but not for one that ostensibly welcomes all.

Yes, they have a perfect right to do that. I will just point out the flaws in their policy, express disdain for it, not participate in their site as a result, and hope that I influence at least one other person not to go there.

I prefer to go places where I can express my views within reasonable limits that do not inhibit the free exchange of ideas.
    Last edited by eye95; 10-15-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Of course it isn't guaranteed. I have said so many times myself. However "hate speech" is often used to mean "conservative speech with which I disagree and don't have a rational comeback."
    Of course its hate speech! Mainly because conservative refers to conserving the HATE!!! plus its hateful to disagree...

...right?

Thanks for sharing your 1A free speech!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    Remember, while on sites like facebook (and even opencarry.org) free speech is not guaranteed. We are subject to the websites guidelines and policies on what can be posted.
    And thanks for sharing your 1A free speech, as well!

The difference between your efforts and that of eye95s, is that he simply expressed his beliefs, while you post attempted to shut his beliefs down.

Walt, I and about a billion other free worlders take a very dim view as to your narrow pov mindset. Step foot into my (our) town, and you're likely to find yourself at odds, period.

Best you readjust your attitude before you get here.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Walt, I and about a billion other free worlders take a very dim view as to your narrow pov mindset. Step foot into my (our) town, and you're likely to find yourself at odds, period.

free worlders?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your 1A free speech!

And thanks for sharing your 1A free speech, as well!

The difference between your efforts and that of eye95s, is that he simply expressed his beliefs, while you post attempted to shut his beliefs down.

I'm not sure how you took walts post, but I'm interested in how it was shutting anything down rather than simply expressing a point he had about terms and conditions of privately run websites. Also I'm not sure how you derived any "attitude" from a pretty generic text response.
    Tiocfaidh Ar La