• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Facebook works to remove anti-gay hate speech. Gun hate speech next? Naaww.

eye95

What is hate speech?

I am for the traditional definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman. Is that hate speech?

I never use PCbook...er...facebook. I'm glad that I've never been there.

Caveat: I am not trying to start a discussion on marriage. I am merely giving an example of what some would classify as "hate speech," but which is actually free speech.

eb31

As they should..

No room in society for prejudice or hate towards people because of their color or sexual preference etc.

Walt_Kowalski

What is hate speech?

I am for the traditional definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman. Is that hate speech?

Caveat: I am not trying to start a discussion on marriage. I am merely giving an example of what some would classify as "hate speech," but which is actually free speech.

Remember, while on sites like facebook (and even opencarry.org) free speech is not guaranteed. We are subject to the websites guidelines and policies on what can be posted.

eye95

Of course it isn't guaranteed. I have said so many times myself. However "hate speech" is often used to mean "conservative speech with which I disagree and don't have a rational comeback."

Specific rules against specific speech that runs counter to the ideas of the site are reasonable: On OCDO we are not supposed to bash LEOs in general. On almost any site flaming members is not allowed. On almost any site racial epithets are not allowed. Etc.

However, "hate speech" is a nebulous term that allows arbitrariness on the part of admins and mods. That will allow facebook to skew political speech in any direction they want it to go. That is expected for a political site, but not for one that ostensibly welcomes all.

Yes, they have a perfect right to do that. I will just point out the flaws in their policy, express disdain for it, not participate in their site as a result, and hope that I influence at least one other person not to go there.

I prefer to go places where I can express my views within reasonable limits that do not inhibit the free exchange of ideas.

Last edited:

Daylen

Of course it isn't guaranteed. I have said so many times myself. However "hate speech" is often used to mean "conservative speech with which I disagree and don't have a rational comeback."

Of course its hate speech! Mainly because conservative refers to conserving the HATE!!! plus its hateful to disagree...

...right?

since9

Campaign Veteran

Thanks for sharing your 1A free speech!

Remember, while on sites like facebook (and even opencarry.org) free speech is not guaranteed. We are subject to the websites guidelines and policies on what can be posted.

And thanks for sharing your 1A free speech, as well!

The difference between your efforts and that of eye95s, is that he simply expressed his beliefs, while you post attempted to shut his beliefs down.

Walt, I and about a billion other free worlders take a very dim view as to your narrow pov mindset. Step foot into my (our) town, and you're likely to find yourself at odds, period.

Best you readjust your attitude before you get here.

Daylen

Walt, I and about a billion other free worlders take a very dim view as to your narrow pov mindset. Step foot into my (our) town, and you're likely to find yourself at odds, period.

free worlders?

ChiangShih

Thanks for sharing your 1A free speech!

And thanks for sharing your 1A free speech, as well!

The difference between your efforts and that of eye95s, is that he simply expressed his beliefs, while you post attempted to shut his beliefs down.

I'm not sure how you took walts post, but I'm interested in how it was shutting anything down rather than simply expressing a point he had about terms and conditions of privately run websites. Also I'm not sure how you derived any "attitude" from a pretty generic text response.