• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing in Buena Park.. ehh..

ryanmp1986

Last week I OC'd in Buena Park at the Walmart there off of La Palma and Dale. Security called police and they walked up to me. They were polite. Four of them came. One officer did most of the talking, basically saying the laws, which of course I knew and were abidding. They didn't inspect my weapon which was cool. But the female officer told me about a school within about 1000 feet but I researched it before and didn't see it. All the school on google maps said 1200 feet or more but I'll recheck into that. Also stated that the business had a right to refuse service to me. I told them that I understood that, and that I participate on multiple forums and it was stated that Wal-mart obeys state laws. Either way I left and then contacted corporate Wal-mart who said I needed to contact the store manager. Store Manager stated that only LEOs could carry weapons in Buena Park in which I told him he was absolutely wrong so he transferred me to security.
All in all... I found out that the wal-mart is on the mall property and that the Mall doesn't support weapons on site. So I asked them where that was stated to which she replied its by the entrance. I didn't see it so I went back the next morning to make sure. I didn't see it again so I went to the security and talked to her face to face (without my weapon) and she said they aren't at the door of walmart but about fifty feet away at another set of doors that enter to the actual mall. I asked if that was legal to not have it at every set of doors because how do you know which door I'll be walking in? It's unfair that I have to deal with cops telling to leave just because I picked the wrong doors to walk through. She stated that there is no policy they must do that but that she will bring it up to her bosses.
At the end, no one was really rude or anything... BUT!!!! I have a question. Since they don't support Open Carry there... I say we stop shopping at that mall/Wal-Mart for those who live in the area!

I let them know that I would be posting this and letting others to avoid this shopping area. I don't think they really cared. Any advice??

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
But the female officer told me about a school within about 1000 feet but I researched it before and didn't see it. All the school on google maps said 1200 feet or more but I'll recheck into that.

Google maps is not the authority that determines how far you are from a K-12 school. You might have been cut loose today, but if the officers can verify that you were 999.9 feet from the school grounds, you may yet see charges of violating 626.9- This is pretty much what happened with Theseus.

Also stated that the business had a right to refuse service to me.

The officer is correct. The property owner has the right to govern some of your activities and are under no obligation to serve you if they think you are disrupting their commerce.

I found out that the wal-mart is on the mall property and that the Mall doesn't support weapons on site. So I asked them where that was stated to which she replied its by the entrance. I didn't see it so I went back the next morning to make sure. I didn't see it again so I went to the security and talked to her face to face (without my weapon) and she said they aren't at the door of walmart but about fifty feet away at another set of doors that enter to the actual mall. I asked if that was legal to not have it at every set of doors because how do you know which door I'll be walking in?

Does everything require a sign? While the tenant may not have a policy accompanied by a sign declaring it a 'weapons free' zone, the property owner can place restrictions on conduct and behavior, and compel those who will not abide by those rules, to leave and be trespassed if they return. This is why you were directed by Wal*Mart corporate to contact the store manager... because Wal*Mart didn't create this policy, the mall did.

Since they don't support Open Carry there... I say we stop shopping at that mall/Wal-Mart for those who live in the area!

Knock yourself out. Unfortunately, gun owners in California are not so numerous as to significantly influence the legislature, let alone a commercial enterprise- and what's more is that open carriers represent less than 15% of pro-gunners. Unless we have substantial numbers, a boycott is not going to be felt on a meaningful level.

My advice; continue carrying lawfully, avoid creating a confrontation over the absence of signs or the unfairness of the restrictions on your rights and liberties by private enterprise, and be aware of your surroundings.

I do give the police a thumbs up for not conducting an (e) check and not handcuffing you for their 'safety'.

wewd

The elementary school north of La Palma on Camellia covers some of the mall parking lot, but does not cover any of the buildings. Depending on where you parked, you may have been in a GFSZ, but not in any of the buildings. There are no other schools near the mall.

ryanburbridge

IMO. It's beter to ask for forgiveness then permition when it comes to store policy. I normally just walk in. I have never been asked to leave any store. One in particular has a very small sign posted that I saw after leaving. It's the stores job to enforce rules. If I was asked to leave I would without a prob. When you ASK someone at a store they now have the power to say NO. When I don't ask a person must know for sure I'm doing somthing wrong which dose not happen.

If I were you I would go right back a different day and UOC. If they ask you to leave try again next time. Good luck.

ryanmp1986

But if they did have a sign they wouldn't have to worry about calling the police because when police are present in large numbers, it's usually not good for business. Who wants to go to a store if poice are always having to show up. It would just be beneficial to them...

xnetc9

ok i wont go to buena park mall. i dont go there anyway since it is so far. i UOC at walmart on beach/trask and harbor/mc fadden numerous times without incident.

btw, the north parking is within the school zone up to north door. just park on the south side to be safe if you plan to UOC there again. didn't the law say that you cant UOC in public areas? business areas aren't part of school zones. but once you leave the premises of the business, you have to put away your gun.