• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in my front yard!

firewall

After potentially chasing down someone from my house who was attempting to break in I called the police. When they finally arrived some ....20 minutes later I was open carrying my 1911 with holsters on the other side. They told me right off the bat that I had to go secure my weapons because my ammo was within arms reach and was presumed loaded?? Really?? Maybe someone can shed some insight?

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

Fail !!

By that I mean police fail. However, at crime scenes I believe that courts have ruled the police can enact certain rules for officer safety and so forth.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
They told me right off the bat that I had to go secure my weapons because my ammo was within arms reach and was presumed loaded?? Really??

No, not really. They either don't know the applicable definition of loaded (12031(g)) or didnt think you would know and were attempting to discourage your state of being armed.

Were it me... I think I'd have told them that my firearm is secure in my holster (just like theirs are) and that if they would like to arrest me for a 'loaded' weapon while UOC they are certainly welcome to.

firewall

yep

And I told them (respectfully) that it was secure according to california law then he shook his head and said no "blablabla". At that point I just said "oh ok sir, roger that". I'm guessing that he thought that I didn't know the laws and pictured me as an idiot. ACTUALLY!! these guys spent more time asking questions about my weapons than about the actual crime that had happened. (were my weapons registered?, are they registered on base?, etc etc)

eb31

Am I misreading? You had two 1911's....one on each hip? You say weapons..plural. And holsters...plural.

dirtykoala

And I told them (respectfully) that it was secure according to california law then he shook his head and said no "blablabla". At that point I just said "oh ok sir, roger that". I'm guessing that he thought that I didn't know the laws and pictured me as an idiot. ACTUALLY!! these guys spent more time asking questions about my weapons than about the actual crime that had happened. (were my weapons registered?, are they registered on base?, etc etc)

I hope you didnt answer any of those questions...