• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Soldier Open Carry On Base

joeroket

I have to question that story. The guy in the video said his friend used a Ga. statute that state military can carry a weapon. Since when do the laws of a state carry over onto a military base? I am not convinced that this actually happened.

Old Grump

Don't know about now but a 100 years ago when I was on active duty military bases were considered federal enclaves. Bases followed state law except where they conflicted with federal law then federal laws and military rule superseded state law. State law may allow open carry but on a military base the authority for open carry lies with the base commander.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
OC

You can cite what ever you want, but the MP's are going to take you down. I wish I could OC on base, but I want to retire with pay and benefits. (Army Ft. Lewis WA)

slowfiveoh

Don't know about now but a 100 years ago when I was on active duty military bases were considered federal enclaves. Bases followed state law except where they conflicted with federal law then federal laws and military rule superseded state law. State law may allow open carry but on a military base the authority for open carry lies with the base commander.

I'll take the category, "Forum comments that are correct" for $1000, Alex.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
What was your first clue? :lol:

1984-1988 Enlisted Wyoming/Kansas Army National Guard - supply clerk/armorer - up to E-4
1988-2001 Enlisted US Navy - submarines, nuclear machinist mate - up to E-6
2001- Officer US Navy - aviation maintenance - up to O-4 next year. Probably retire in 2014 with 30 years.

Aviation Maintenance and stationed up at Whidbey. My son is an AME3 up there, and is currently out on the Bush, which should tell you which squadron he is in. Thus my Avatar. I've spent a bit of time on the base up there over the last 3 years.

Interesting and unique career path you have followed.

joeroket

It was tough... especially when one of the very first things I saw as an aviation maintenance officer was airframers cutting up soda cans to use the aluminum as shims on the airplane! :eek:

If that is the worst you saw then you got off to a good start. I won't even go into details of what I saw being done on commercial aircraft.