• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flap holster OK for Open Carry?

dfrak

Folks,
I hope you can help me with my question. I did a few searches but didn’t find the information I was l looking for.

I have a friend who is enthusiastic about open carry, but the only holsters he has are the military / police style flap holsters. He does not have a CPL.

Is it OK for him to open carry if his handgun is in a flap holster?

Regardless if the answer is yes or no, is the law pretty clear on this point?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

WARCHILD

I for one would advise against it for sure. Most flap holsters cover all, if not most of the gun. It would therefore be concealed; no different than having it in your pocket or a bag.
Would a reasonable person conclude there was a gun in this holster...yes...but as we have found if a cop is on a mission to enforce his opinions and not the law; you may get seriously jacked up over the "acceptability" of this holster as OC.

JMO

kryptonian

the law aside we had those flap holsters at my police dept. in texas. we called them widow makers. much longer draw time. buy a new holster.

cmdr_iceman71

Yeah, even though attorney general Granholm’s opinion defines open carry as, "a holstered pistol in plain view," and a holstered pistol, although in a flap style holster, meets the aforementioned definition, all it would take is for your friend to cross paths with one uninformed LEO or one who dislikes OCers and they’ll charge him with carrying a concealed weapon and let him, his attorney, and the prosecutor sort all that stuff out in court.

In a situation like that, most LEO’s primary concern would be making the arrest, if it doesn’t stick they simply walk away with an "I tried attitude" Meanwhile your friend is out of thousands of dollars in attorney fees.

Michigun

It's kind of ironic people would have problems with it because when you see one of those types of holsters you immediately know what it is.

gspatton-photo-01.jpg

Bronson

I don't believe any gun person would have a problem with it. I believe it's opening yourself up to unneeded and unnecessary hassle from over zealous LEO and prosecutors, kind of like IWB OC.

Bronson

dfrak

Thank you all for you informed input.

I'll let my friend know about the AG opinion mentioned and that the law is not as clear cut as he would like.

Thanks again.

Dan

NHCGRPR45

imo, as a reasonable gun owner, yes this an acceptable way to OC outdoors oriented holsters can be found that entirely cover the gun as depicted in the picture on this thread.

the key phrase is a handgun in a holster in plain veiw is NOT considered concealed.

is the handgun in a holster, well lets look at the holster.

is the handgun in the holster? yep! well ok roger that!

is the gun in a holster AND are both in plain veiw? well the gun does in fact to appear to be in a holster, and both are in plain veiw, so YES OC it is. thats from my point of view.

are both handgun and holster in plain veiw?

well yes looks like it to me! issue resolved!

not so much to some. do you want to risk it? well its up to you. me its a non-isue i have a CPL, an OC without a cpl? is it worth getting a felony over?? for me no. it a choice your friend will have to make.

i also wouldn't reccomend it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imo, as a reasonable gun owner, yes this an acceptable way to OC outdoors oriented holsters can be found that entirely cover the gun as depicted in the picture on this thread.

the key phrase is a handgun in a holster in plain veiw is NOT considered concealed.

is the handgun in a holster, well lets look at the holster.

is the handgun in the holster? yep! well ok roger that!

is the gun in a holster AND are both in plain veiw? well the gun does in fact to appear to be in a holster, and both are in plain veiw, so YES OC it is. thats from my point of view.

are both handgun and holster in plain veiw?

well yes looks like it to me! issue resolved!

not so much to some. do you want to risk it? well its up to you. me its a non-isue i have a CPL, an OC without a cpl? is it worth getting a felony over?? for me no. it a choice your friend will have to make.

i also wouldn't reccomend it.

I agree.

NHCGRPR45

good knife work! and so long as the firearm is secure i have no issues! and yes the firearm appears to be in a holster, more or less, and indeed the both appear to be in plain sight!
good job!:banana: