• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meet future Governor Haslam Monday October 18, 2010 7:00pm

kwikrnu

Banned
Golden Corral Hermitage
315 Old Lebanon Dirt Rd
Hermitage, TN 37076

He'll be speaking at a Tennessee Firearms Association meeting at 7:00pm. I'd get there early. If you want to eat first I'd recommend getting there early at around 5:30 - 6pm.

I'm pretty sure I will also be there and will ask him about Bloomberg and why he thinks Tennesseans should be forced to have carry permits.

HvyMtl

Say, you got the whole event on tape? Would like to hear it.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
Here is a WKRN story they ran today about his comments last night:

GOP's Haslam would agree to ending handgun permits

"Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Haslam says he would sign legislation into law to eliminate Tennessee's existing permitting requirements for carrying handguns in public. But in Haslam's words: "If the Legislature passed that and brought that to me, I said I would sign it."

Here is a blog

"Is there any real doubt that the GOP loons who run the state legislature will pass such a bill? What kind of intellect must Haslam possess to fold in the face of such a ludicrous argument? A gun permit doesn't infringe on anyone's right to bear arms anymore than a driver's infringes on a person's right to drive a car. The Second Amendment says a "well-regulated" militia is necessary to the security of a free state. What is a gun permit if not a "regulation."

Nashville Scene article

"Bill Haslam told the state Firearms Association last night that if the legislature decided to allow the wide-open, unregulated carrying of firearms in Tennessee, he’d sign the bill into law. It took a few minutes of badgering Haslam, but eventually the gun freaks pried that promise from the soon-to-be governor."

WSMV channel 4

News Channel 5

examiner

Memphis Commercial Appeal

"the Haslam campaign issued a statement Tuesday night that quoted him as saying, "What I have said previously is I support the current permitting law as its written. When asked if I would sign legislation passed by the General Assembly that would change the current concealed carry permit system, I acknowledged that if the legislature decided that that was the best course, I would sign it."

Last edited:

HvyMtl

Last edited: